Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: The Final Frontier 5x06 (Nov 5)

TesserT

[1]Nov 5, 2012
    • level: 75
    Please use this thread to discuss episode The Final Frontier. Enjoy!

From ABC.go: As Beckett and Castle investigate a murder at a sci-fi convention, they encounter avid fans in costume, egotistical celebrities, and a lot of drama.

Check out the promo over at ABC.com Supernovacon. This is a cool ship! A Cosmic Fantasy. Prepare to die!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JonathonWolf

[2]Nov 5, 2012
    • level: 10

This was a fun episode. All the Firefly references and everyone showing off their geeky sides. Brought a bit more depth to the characters

Canada_Michael

[3]Nov 5, 2012
    • level: 10

My only complaint about the episode is the whole Alexis scene where she waits for Castle, and then they decide not to talk about it. The scene was OK but it brought home to me how underutilized Alexis is .

Edited on 11/05/2012 10:45pm

blackmage8472

[4]Nov 6, 2012
    • level: 15

Canada_Michael wrote:

My only complaint about the episode is the whole Alexis scene where she waits for Castle, and then they decide not to talk about it. The scene was OK but it brought home to me how underutilized Alexis is .

Alexis is underutilized and I was hoping for a change when she became Lanie'sassistant. However she's always been more of a recurring character compared to the rest of the cast. So, c'est la vie.

Otherwise, the best way to describe this episode: Shiney!

CrazyAsian1080

[5]Nov 6, 2012
    • level: 7

The nerd in me loved this episode sooo much. Probably in my top 5 favourite Castle episodes. It's a bit sad that Molly C. Quinn isn't getting as much air time as before, but in the show world she has gone off to college so you wouldn't really expect her to. I also liked how they dealt with the whole situation. It reinforced the fact that Alexis is growing up and sometime a father just doesn't want to know and how awkward it can be.

wildhoney66

[6]Nov 7, 2012
    • level: 13

1stly since Molly Quinn is now 19 i can say this WOW on her outfit. the way i look at that scene where Alexis is waiting for her father. i don't think it was a useless scene it was a daughter waiting to be yelled at by her father and she wanted to have it just over and done with.

and i think castle would have done just that but with Kate's influence on him he he she told him well it's no different than what you want me to wear. he no doubt thought about that and she was right. and also he does realize she's 18 now as well. also plus he didn't want that image of his daughter in his mind and i think also wanted to forget about it as well. so it was prolly all rolled into one honestly.

and let's face it honestly i fully expected her to be used less than she had in the past because she's away at college now. so even though i agree that she isn't used enough i expected this in short. and plus i think it was a funny as hell scene as well. and let's face it if i had a daughter at that age which i don't. i don't have any kids i dunno what my reaction would be either. i think it was funny as hell how both of them were embarrassed as well about it.

wildhoney66

[7]Nov 7, 2012

also one question off topic a bit, am i the ONLY one here who HATES IT with a bloody passion when tv shows make these documentary type episodes? as the next episode seems to be shot in. i don't care nor have i ever gave a damn about these camera men who just follow the characters around. this is a fashion if you want to call it that, that dated back to and this is prolly wrong on my part but i just HATE

say "The X-files" episode where it's shot in the style the show 'COPS" only cause i've always HATED that show. my point is i'm just simply sick and tired of seeing this fashion that every damn show seems to do this these days, off the top of my head i can think of 'grey's anatomy, CSI the home show i can't remember if any of the spin-offs have done it. private practice, and though that's all i can think of at the top of my head

i've seen it on prolly 20 other shows as well

wildhoney66

[8]Nov 7, 2012

oh i think even the show 'E.R. did it as well

mnementh01

[9]Nov 8, 2012
    • level: 14

In retrospect, although this was an excellent episode and the writers obviously had a ball putting it out, wouldn't it have been a blast if they had gone all out for the greatest number of cameo appearances in one show?

They could certainly have had the Firefly crew (Baldwin aside, obviously), a few more from Star Trek (Data, Wesley Crusher & Geordie LaForge have all had cameos on other shows) and if only they had the cast of Big Bang Theory wandering through. Let's face it, Supernovacon would be perfect for Sheldon & Co.

A Tardis in the corner with David Tennent & Karen Gillan would have been perfect.

This could so easily have been a "Who's Who" of the Sci Fi world.

Edited on 11/08/2012 7:23am

wildhoney66

[10]Nov 8, 2012

maybe they didn't have the budget for all that. or maybe it was an idea and the stars they asked cost far to much perhaps? honestly the big bang theory? i say leave them out since it's a CBS show and the rest i agree, get more star trek, i was waiting for "Alan Tudyek" to appear. that's just a guess on how his last name is spelled may i add.

i also forgot that was J. Frakes at the start of the episode cause on how old he's gotten. i didn't realize it was even him!

BarryWeen3

[11]Nov 8, 2012

wildhoney66 wrote:

oh i think even the show 'E.R. did it as well

There's also The Mentalist (they sort of did it, it wasn't the entire episode but they had segments where they were being interviewed by the news crew and that episode worked because of who turned out to be the bad guy) and there's Leverage with "The Office Job" which was hilarious. Oh, and House did it too if I remember correctly.

To me the "documentary" episodes of shows I watch are kinda of hit or don't care, that is several of them I liked and the others, the format didn't bother me much except when the camera motion gave me motion sickness.

haldrey

[12]Nov 9, 2012
    • level: 22
    As space sci fi fan this episode was just fun and exquisite. I so agree with some of the previous comments, Alexis is highly underutilized and his mother also, both should participate to some extent in the cases.

wildhoney66

[13]Nov 9, 2012

oh i agree, they are under used. with Alexis i saw that coming a mile away with her going to college, with martha that's different. i get that they aren't always needed for each episode i mean hell Lanie isn't in every episode nor is Gates, but it would be nice if they did some scenes with castles family that is longer than 2 minutes.

and thanxs for bringing up about the other shows i had forgotten about some of those such as "House' for example. but am i the only one who tires of that way. in the past 2 weeks both private practice and now Castle are doing it and it's not original anymore. it's annoying as hell. i tend to get dizzy when they have the video camera shake like that when something happens. all it does is put all the characters into like bit parts into the show most of the time and it takes me out of the episode as well. how about you?

BarryWeen3

[14]Nov 10, 2012

For me, like I said, the docu style either works for me when it fits the show like the Leverage episode, otherwise when I don't think it really fits, I can ignore it, and sometimes I get motion sickness if the camera work is shaky enough. Doesn't happen very much, not as much as movies that are filmed in that style such as Blair Witch and Cloverfield.

wildhoney66

[15]Nov 10, 2012

well said, i haven't seen cloverfield but i have seen 'blair witch' and that's a terrible film at least i thought it was. but that's what i mean of course

BarryWeen3

[16]Nov 12, 2012

Yes, Blair Witch was bleah, still made a lot of money and at least you weren't dragged to it twice by friends and the second time was worse both for having to sit through it again and the motion sickness induced by the camera work was also worse the second time. I warned my friends I had no qualms throwing up on one of them since they insisted on making me sit through the movie a second time.

Cloverfield was like Blair Witch a "found footage" movie, it was an alien invasion/horror movie following a group of friends as they tried to escape the invasion and of course getting killed along the way...

I haven't really liked these found footage movies, one exception I recall is the recent one that dealt with "superpowers", the name escape me at the moment...what the hell was the name...oh, Chronicle. That one was actually decent and the camera work wasn't as shaky, probably another reason I found it good.

wildhoney66

[17]Nov 12, 2012

i don't like found footage films at all i wish they'd keep it lost. he he anyways as for blair witch i recall my brother going to see it get this at least 3 or 4 times back when it 1st came out my question is uh WHY? i dunno maybe seeing it when it 1st came out had more power? i dunno ?

but i bought the dvd of it when it 1st came out i watched it a few times just to give it a chance and the audio commentary bored me as did the film. and i have long since traded it in for something far better. i don't recall what it was but if it was for a pair of dirty gym socks that's still better than the blair witch film. and people LOVE that film i don't get why? only nice thing i can say about it is simply that it's made by a bunch of nobody's who had a tiny budget by today's standards and they got rich of it. or at least a name for awhile. i've seen some of the 3,0000 knockoffs that came out around that time and they are all terrible! there are some movies that directors insist on shaking the camera far too much.

especially while the characters are running i don't get that. it like you said makes one dizzy. and it takes you out of the film much like these documentary style type episodes these tv shows freaking INSIST on doing like now "Castle' and i don't get the appeal at all. when the drew carey show used to do the show live i LOVED THAT! that's different that's not done that much anymore the few times they did that they of course had better episodes than others but that wasn't cause it was live it was just cause all tv shows have bad episodes no matter if they are live or not.

they should do more of the live tv shows than say this stupid ass documentary style that takes you out of the story. and when the camera isn't on the centeral characters it takes me out of the story. and it takes you away from the characters as well. yes some of them are ok but most of the time these characters they write in are dicks who you care nothing about and all they do is make you want throw something at your tv screen cause of how annoying they are. and one thing i did enjoy was a recent episode of CSI:NY where the 1st 30 minutes had no dialog but

it was told by green day's music. and i love green day's music. it promoted their new albums but it also helped the story along and you stayed in the story. i am thrilled that wasn't the entire episode but it i think worked the way it was done. cause episodes like that i'm sure aren't easy to do. and you have to have good actors to react to something that's got no dialog.

i'd rather have seen that this this stupid documentary style how about you?

BarryWeen3

[18]Nov 12, 2012

I'm kinda of leaning that they're doing the docu style episode to further out the Caskett relationship and demonstrate how different the two react to publicity as Castle is very comfortable and in his element as he has to deal with this with his book signings/book tours/etc whereas Beckett being a private person is really uncomfortable in front of the camera as well as feeling that the docu crew is interefering with her job. I'm thinking this episode is going to be similar to the Mentalist and Leverage episodes that did this also.

As for the music idea, I don't know about that for Castle as the music I'lve liked on Castle has been the music by Robert Duncan and those songs have no lyrics that I remember.

I'll wait for the episode to come out and see how well or not well the docu style goes.

wildhoney66

[19]Nov 12, 2012

oh there's no doubt that style isn't for castle yet it fit for CSI:NY for well obvious reasons.

matsee

[20]Feb 10, 2013
    • level: 12

I am disappointed that no references were made of Doctor Who which made me conclude that the writer of the episode Kate Sargeant is out of touch with the world of sci fi.