Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: The Human Factor 5x23 (May 6)

TesserT

[1]May 5, 2013
    • level: 77
    Please use this thread to discuss episode The Human Factor.

From ABC.go.com: When Homeland Security inexplicably seals the crime scene of a car bombing, Castle and Beckett find themselves with two mysteries on their hands: who murdered the victim, a government whistleblower, and why are federal agents trying to take over the case? The plot thickens when they discover that the victim wasn't killed by a car bomb but by a missile from a military drone,

ABC Episode Photos
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]May 6, 2013
    • level: 13

it was a good episode and it was pretty damn good seeing Carlos Bernard a guy it seems to be playing in the last few years to be playing some evil dude, well he played a good guy for a chance and it was nice to see that. favorite part was easily when he had his toys attack him!

i dunno what i'm going to do after next week what with it being the finale. for those who want to know it's called "Watershed'

bmoshier

[3]May 7, 2013
    • level: 46

After watching the episode, I'm left wondering how Warburg could tell from a flash drive that someone copied information from it onto a 4GB USB drive. (Later in the episode our heroes, when talking to Sean, said they knew it was a 4GB USB drive.)

I've been programming and designing computer systems for over 30 years and honestly, I don't know of a flash drive that keeps record of its accesses to such a detailed level. Most flash drives don't keep any access record at all (other than maybe the date of last access, but certainly not the fact it was a copy nor onto the media).

Is it at all possible, sure, it is possible. I can think of several ways, but it means having a program on the flash drive that one must use to read the flash drive. Yet, the writers don't go into this and we're left hearing that a copy command can save / provide this level of detail on a flash drive, nope, no way. Again, though, it is possible to protect the data and keep great records, but not by simple default with Windows, Unix, Linux, VM/370 for the PC, iOS, etc.

Why am I bringing this up? Well, when something like this happens it breaks the charm of the episode. Honestly, many may say the stuff was "out there already," so why get upset with this little thing. Yet, IMHO, the other stuff is possible and with so little detail, as to make it be technical possible.

This device is an important plot point, though, has details that don't work, comes up several times, etc. Thus it kept at me till I decided to write this message getting it off my chest and hopefully find others with a good explanation or the same feeling as myself.

Anyway, that's it folks! Take care. :-)

wildhoney66

[4]May 7, 2013
    • level: 13

oh i believe you, don't worry about that. i look at it this way, it's just a tv show, all shows do this, how many times have we seen films kill some character only to bring him back in the next film. for example in the x-files the smoking man was killed countless times yet he kept coming back.

so it's not surprising they say this or that can happen when it comes to some stuff like Computers but it can't. that really doesn't bother me honestly. cause if they and this is my own opinion use complete facts in some things at least, like in the CSI shows for example criminals watch these shows and may get ideas that it can be done. so i'm ok with the fact that some stuff is fake. other stuff should be real though.

JonathonWolf

[5]May 8, 2013
    • level: 10
    There has to be some suspension of disbelief since shows have to convey certain pieces of information to keep the story going along. Sometimes, the best option is to just throw it out there and hope no one looks too deep into it so information doesn't bog down the story. It is conceivable that Warburg was paranoid enough to have a program that would keep track of the information so that he could keep account of everything around him and maintain his seclusion. I do understand the frustration; I get irritated seeing people saluting wrong or referring to rifles as guns.