Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: The Late Shaft 2x20 (Apr 12)

TesserT

[1]Apr 9, 2010
    • level: 81
    Let's discuss Monday's episode The Late Shaft here.

from ABC Press Release: When Castle appears on a late-night talk show to promote his book, Heat Wave, legendary host Bobby Mann (guest star Tom Bergeron) leans in during a commercial break and whispers, "They want me dead." When Mann dies later that night, seemingly of natural causes, Castle has to convince Beckett that there was foul play. During the investigation, Castle is seduced by a Hollywood hottie (guest star Kelly Carlson), who was the other guest on Bobby Mann's show the night he died.

Check out the promo & 2 sneak peeks over at ABC.com.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sandbur

[2]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 25

I liked it. It's never too difficult to figure out the bad guy on "Castle", but the journey is always fun. But that "actress" as Nikki Heat??!! As even close to someone who was loosely based on Beckett??!! "I don't think so, Tim"...to coin a phrase... But Becket is jealous and Castle is happy about it and all that keeps the underlying story going along just fine...

BarryWeen3

[3]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 14
    sandbur wrote:

I liked it. It's never too difficult to figure out the bad guy on "Castle", but the journey is always fun. But that "actress" as Nikki Heat??!! As even close to someone who was loosely based on Beckett??!! "I don't think so, Tim"...to coin a phrase... But Becket is jealous and Castle is happy about it and all that keeps the underlying story going along just fine...

Yup, but next week it's Castle's turn to be jealous as the new homicide detective shows up and we get that hot sparring session between him and Beckett. Even the preview isn't very subtle about it saying something along the lines of "...as the crimefighting duo becomes a threesome..."

I liked it, but not as much as last week's mummy episode. There seemed to be something missing from tonight's episode, can't quite put my finger on what that might be though.

gmx13

[4]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 7
    Good episode. Although you could tell it was a bit of a filler one for the season.

Kelly Carlson did not look good as a brunette; in fact she looked like she aged 5-10 years from the hair color alone. She should stay blonde.

Next week looks like the start of Beckett's romance sublot.

kyubi256

[5]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 9
    Next week looks really good

BarryWeen3

[6]Apr 13, 2010
    gmx13 wrote:
    Good episode. Although you could tell it was a bit of a filler one for the season.

Kelly Carlson did not look good as a brunette; in fact she looked like she aged 5-10 years from the hair color alone. She should stay blonde.

Next week looks like the start of Beckett's romance sublot.

Yup, it'll last till the end of the season at the minimum, possibly into next season, but what I read he's only suppose to guest star for the rest of this season, although they're thinking of continuing his character into next season.

Morspeed

[7]Apr 13, 2010
    I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. If it was a filler episode then I'm glad they can nail them, instead of just putting something out for the sake of it *cough* Smallville *cough*.

I'm glad Beckett is getting a love interest. Castle has been getting all the *ahem* love on the show and it's unfair for her character to always be wanting.

BarryWeen3

[8]Apr 13, 2010
    Morspeed wrote:
    I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. If it was a filler episode then I'm glad they can nail them, instead of just putting something out for the sake of it *cough* Smallville *cough*.

I'm glad Beckett is getting a love interest. Castle has been getting all the *ahem* love on the show and it's unfair for her character to always be wanting.

Unless you believe those instances when Castle asks her to go get food or a drink and she says she can't cause she has a date.

Morspeed

[9]Apr 13, 2010

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    Unless you believe those instances when Castle asks her to go get food or a drink and she says she can't cause she has a date.

I seriously doubt that KB is dating anyone. Of the two times she has said she had a date one of them was with Castle's book and a bath.

The second time was at the end of season 1 episode 9 and not much came of it. Mainly because in Season 2 ep13 or 14 she asks the ME took hook her up. Which failed hilariously.

She even asked Castle if he wanted to grab a burger with her at the end of this episode. At which point she freaks on him when he declines.

Edited on 04/13/2010 1:09pm

ProjectX23

[10]Apr 13, 2010

I do not like the lady who is playing as Nikki Heat, to me she isn't right, I hope they'll pull someone else in or something.

If you go onto youtube and put in 'Castle' and the next episode title there is a slideshow of pics of behind the scenes for the little wrestling match and such ^_^

BarryWeen3 wrote:
    She even asked Castle if he wanted to grab a burger with her at the end of this episode. At which point she freaks on him when he declines.

She freaked out on him because she thought Castle was having a date with the same woman that he finally found out was using him.

cabutoyammay

[11]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 3

The whole Late Night Letterman spoof was kind of funny, though it kind of felt like half a story to me... the whole sleeping with the intern blackmail development felt like beating a dead horse.

BarryWeen3

[12]Apr 13, 2010
    ProjectX23 wrote:

I do not like the lady who is playing as Nikki Heat, to me she isn't right, I hope they'll pull someone else in or something.

If you go onto youtube and put in 'Castle' and the next episode title there is a slideshow of pics of behind the scenes for the little wrestling match and such ^_^

BarryWeen3 wrote:

She freaked out on him because she thought Castle was having a date with the same woman that he finally found out was using him.

Very interesting. You quoted Morspeed but attributed the quoted material to me.

Interesting editing there...

Morspeed

[13]Apr 14, 2010

ProjectX23 wrote:
    Morspeed wrote:

Exactly, which shows that she does care, and that's why Castle smiled at her. He saw that she was a bit miffed at the whole situation. But when he said that his date was with Alexis she smiled, happy that he wouldn't jump back into bed with the actress.

nolefan32

[14]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 11

"Late Night Letterman" spoof? Wow this is a young board. This was definitely more along the lines of Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon, with Letterman breathing down their necks in the next hour (though the black host was a bit more remniscent of Arsenio Hall).

Firstly, I liked this episode better than last week's, but I agree with some of the other posters that it really felt like a filler episode - nothing happened in the bigger timeline for any of the characters, at all. That's a minor whine, though.

And yes, it can be easy to pick out the murderer on Castle. I give the writers credit for last week's episode, they actually fooled me, but as soon as Beckett and Castle looked at the idea book that included the new versions for "the boys are back on duty," especially since they made nothing of it, just tossed it to the side, it was pretty obvious it was Ed McMahon what killed Johnny. I do like that they included the critical clue this time, sort of like watching an old Matlock or Murder She Wrote episode where the point was to solve the murder before Matlock or Angela did, but they need to be a little less obvious about it.

I also was disappointed by Castle falling for the actress so easily. From the moment he got the phone call from her for the first date, I picked up that the only reason she was banging him was so he'd give her the approval to play Nikki Heat. It seemed so obvious, not even a "trained detective" would have been needed to spot it - I guess if Rick can be that dumb sometimes, we know the reason the police won't let him carry a gun. And I also agree she's no Nikki Heat - the least they could have done was try to cast someone for the part in the show that could pass for Stana Katic at least a little bit. I still think Rick was on to something when he suggested Kate Beckinsale to play Nikki a few episodes back; Beckinsale does strike me as a more serious version of Beckett in most of her roles.

But it was still a fun episode overall. Beckett was clearly jealous over Rick being with the actress, so maybe that counts as moving things forward, at least a little. And the backstage stuff at the Tonight Show was fun, too. Not as good as Tick, Tick/Boom, but then in the Castle universe, what else is - that's a lofty goal to achieve.

haldrey

[15]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 22
    nolefan32 wrote:

"Late Night Letterman" spoof? Wow this is a young board. This was definitely more along the lines of Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon, with Letterman breathing down their necks in the next hour (though the black host was a bit more remniscent of Arsenio Hall).

My thoughts exactly. From the very beginning it was Johnny Carson, maybe with a little of Letterman mixed in just to put it in line with Tiger Woods joke. The episode excellent as usual, Someone said that it was a filler, if that is so give me more fillers like this one.

giggs92

[16]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 4

I love this show and it is getting better and better. I heard it is coming back for a 3rd season so that's great. It kind of reminds me of the old Avengers, Remington Steele type show where you're not sure if the stars will ever get together or not. It's great fun.

sandbur

[17]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 25

giggs92: Remington Steele! That's it! I have been trying to think of what show best used this formula in the past and you're so bang-on. It was Remington Steele! Everything old is new again...(well, except me...) Undecided

CaptBalou

[18]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 10

i'm wondering... i heard ellie saying after she says goodbye & apologizes -> thanks FRANK! tell me anyone have i heard wrong???

runtombob

[19]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 2

great episode, i especially loved the part where castle explains to beckett in a serious manner that after a tragedy two human beings need to show each other some understanding and support, then comes the next scene where castle is making out with ellie and his shirt gets ripped off and she pushes him on the bed and all the sounds, had a great laugh.

lemae_27

[20]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 6
    The only thing I didn't like about this episode is Castle was so forgiving of being used and lied too. You'd think he'd be more picky about who plays Nikki Heat. And I didn't like the Nikki Heat roll playing either, felt like he was cheating on Beckett doing that with someone else. The whole scandel about sleeping with an intern is only a scandel if you're married. If you're single who cares who you sleep with. Can't wait for next week when Kate gets a little revenge on Castle in the love interest department.