Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: The Limey 4x20 (Apr 2)

Canada_Michael

[21]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 10

I won't stop watching, but I don't think the show will get dramatically better. Anytime you have attraction betweencharacters on a TV show it almost always goes downhill, because of all the effort it takes the writers to keep them apart IMO. They can't have them get together until close to the end of the series, because happily ever after would be boring over an entire season. It's a catch 22 unless you have fewer seasons, & the series is roughly plannedout at the beginning. For example season 1 we get to know thecharacters & they become close friends, season 2 the romance slowly builds & in season 3 it either blossoms into a full blown relationship or it doesn't. They key I think is you have to set areasonable limit to the number of seasons, something I know the networks won't do.

A legacy show thatillustrates being driven into the ground is Remington Steele. It just kept going & going, to the point that in the end people lost interest & itlimpedto its pitiful conclusion.

Edited on 04/04/2012 11:05pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nordan123

[22]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 6

wildhoney66 wrote:
    1stly how about instead of quitting watching the show, you at least wait until the finale & see how that is? i don't think all guys go straight out & sleep with the 1st woman they can after their heart is broken. i'm not like that & i'm a guy. women also do that as well sometimes.

Speaking for myself saying this is the end for me is a way of stating how disappointed I am,I will always give a show at least a few episodes to see if things are brought back on track. Smile

I have a problem with the "heart broken" thing in this instance,Kate and Richard are not and have never been a couple.They're both interested in eachother and they're both giving up without even trying,Richard giving up based on something that could/should be viewed an interrogation technique (I remember everything after I was shot) is just daft.

I really prefer the tension will they/won't they over this immature nonsense time and time again,I really thought they'd both appreciate eachother more than that by now,that they'd developed a bond stronger than what we see now....it just doesn't make sense anymore.

welnoc

[23]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 9

Thank you for that gracious apology Wildhoney66. Laughing I will apologise in turn about taking you to task since it's not really my place to do so, you just happened to hit a button for me!

I will probably continue to watch both Bones and Castle for awhile. I watched House for an entire season after I got fed up with it in the hope that it might get better. I'm just an optimist, I guess.

And that's a good point about "heart broken" since the relationship didn't develop in the real world although sometimes in the world of one's emotions things are more intense and "real" even though they have no bearing on what's in the material world. A lot of us have rich interior lives and as a writer I think Rick Castle would be one of these folks. Beckett on the other hand, has always seemed routed squarely in reality so maybe doesn't have that excuse.

JonathonWolf

[24]Apr 5, 2012
    Unrequited love is worse than having dated. At least if they had dated, they could feel they gave it a shot and try to move on. As it is, Castle sees that he wasted four years pining for this girl and trying to become a man worthy of her. There's a lot of angry and resentment when you can look back at everything they've shared and wonder why she didn't choose you. Wondering how you could have misinterpreted all of the comments and little moments. It doesn't matter what we know about Beckett's feelings because Castle doesn't know. Yes, she tried to talk to him about it in this episode; but he probably thinks it's about something else. It can't be about feeling the same way; she has had months and several dangerous situations to tell him. And she can't say she was unsure of how he felt since she remembers him admitting his feelings.

The trailer for the next episode looks like it continues on nicely with the situation. We have to remember that television storytelling is different than movie storytelling; it's more like telling the story of a war than a battle. They have to extend things with more drama and draw things out. Assuming season 4 goes to 24 episodes, that's a total of 82 episodes so far. That's about 82 hours to keep people interesting. Having them as a couple can be done when it is well-written, but that can be more subjective. There's a lot more experience building up a romance than there is dealing with it afterwards. Most stories end at getting the girl.

BarryWeen3

[25]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 14

No need for assuming...

Season 4 is going to be 23 episodes long. We've got episode #21 "Headhunters" on April 16, then episode #22 "Undead Again" on April 30, then the season finale on May 7, episode #23 "Always".

wildhoney66

[26]Apr 5, 2012
    • level: 13

1stly oh your welcome for your apology & thank you for mine. anyways, i always look on wikipedia to see how many are per season. & yes i fully realize that site isn't always realiable for certain stuff. to be fair. but believe it or not. they are normally right on say for example the order of episodes in which a show aires. what they SHOULD do but i doubt it'll be this, is make the finale 2 hrs. if it's going to have only 23 episodes.

BarryWeen3

[27]Apr 5, 2012

Yeah, originally 22 episode were ordered for Season 4 like normal, then one more episode was ordered on December 8, 2011.

Kinda of thought ABC would add two extra episodes as the previous 2 seasons had been 24 episodes.

But networks are ordering less episodes nowadays and airing more midseason shows or having longer 'breaks"/"hiatuses". You look at old shows and I marvel back when seasons where close to 30 episodes or more, comedies had close to 60 episodes. Nowadays we're lucky if we get 22 episodes.

Kinda of wondering if network shows are going to go the way of cable shows, i.e. shorter seasons aired in two parts, as I seem to recall one network executive talking about it as a possibility.

Nordan123

[28]Apr 6, 2012

JonathonWolf wrote:
    Having them as a couple can be done when it is well-written, but that can be more subjective. There's a lot more experience building up a romance than there is dealing with it afterwards. Most stories end at getting the girl.

I honestly don't want them together (until very late in the series),but seeing them with someone else just looks and feels fake.

Beckett and Castle have gone through hell on many occasions,saved eachother's lives on many occasions.One should think that those things create incredibly strong bonds but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

Castle's infantile driving through a crime scene in a sports car with a blonde woman....really Castle? All the respect for Beckett gone Castle?

I was hoping the writers would keep Castle's "rebound" (if there was one) away from Beckett this time,out of respect for Beckett.For being so smart he really isn't very smart...

I would actually want Castle gone if this nonsense continues,too bad the clever people named the show Castle.

Nat6386

[29]Apr 6, 2012
    everyone seems to be, more or less, on the same page regarding Castle and Beckett. No one wants to see it drag for too long i.e. the case of Bones and no one wants it messed around with so dramatically like how Castle is acting and Beckett not admitting anything!

On the episode note, I thought there would have been 24 because of the last couple of seasons, I had hoped for that anyway, but maybe the stop will be a good thing and i can and do some Uni work for a change :/

hope they get together soon!

Canada_Michael

[30]Apr 6, 2012

Castle going out with other people & having fun doesn't bother me, because Beckett has known of Castle's feelings way before being shot. She would have to be really stupid to think he is sticking around because of research for his books, & putting himself in danger. Beckett got comfortable with the knowledge Castle loves her & will always be there, so why mess with a good thing.

JonathonWolf

[31]Apr 6, 2012
    Really, she's known since about the end of season 2 how she feels. She broke up with her boyfriend to try things out with Castle, but he hooked back up with Gina.

Yaspaa

[32]Apr 6, 2012
    • level: 78
    Have to agree with some of you guys, the accent was quite distracting, I liked the guy but all I heard was Australian with a sporadic attempt at a London accent.

Simonuela

[33]Apr 7, 2012
    • level: 5

From the first appearance till the last scene I wondered about the accent of that "British" inspector. Did someone tell the actor that he needed to sound Scottish to play an inspector from London? It is Scotland Yard but it is actually in London! Why on earth would they get an Australian beachboy to play that role? He actually said "mate" to tip everybody off about his birthplace!

Everyone not American will know what a real British accent sounds like! Just listen to Hugh Laurie, Owain Yeoman, Gerard Butler (all British) and Simon Baker, Anna Torv and Yvonne Strahovski, Hugh Jackman (some of the Australian actors working in the US) or Orla Brady (Irish) in interviews!

I'm not even from an English speaking country and I can hear the difference!

pscf3

[34]Apr 9, 2012
    • level: 16
    I actually liked this episode better than the previous few episodes. The conflict was well-written and realistic, the case interesting, and it was good to see the episode in Beckett's POV, instead of Castle's POV, which it has been in practically the whole series. Certainly is setting up a good finale, contrary to the season that has not been as good as the previous 3.

Nordan123

[35]Apr 11, 2012

Canada_Michael wrote:
    Castle going out with other people & having fun doesn't bother me.

It's the rubbing it in Beckett's face that bothers me....not that he went out with someone.

giggs92

[36]Apr 11, 2012
    • level: 4

I just watched this episode and I found Castle's behaviour quite offensive. Sure he is hurt but for someone who professes to love Beckett and will "always" have her back he is being incredibly childish. For all Castle knowsBeckett could have been lying to the suspect when she said she could remember everything just to get him to talk. Castle has jumped to conclusions. Anyway I hope the title of the last episode(Always)is a good omen.

Does anyone else think that Nathan Fillion has put on a bit of weight? Also being English, I cringed at the accent of the "English" policeman and I believe Scotland Yard is the location of the Metropolitan Police so his I.D. would not say Scotland Yard on it. The writers should get these basic things right.

Any chance Castle will not be renewed for season 5?

Edited on 04/11/2012 8:45am