Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: The Lives of Others 5x19 (Apr 1)

TesserT

[1]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 80
    Please use this thread to discuss episode The Lives of Others. Enjoy Castle's 100th episode!

From ABC.go.com: While stuck at home with a broken leg, Castle believes he witnesses a murder in the apartment across the street.

Check out the sneak peak photos over at ABC.com: If that's my present, I can't wait to unwrap it! I think I just saw a murder.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 13

i didn't think it was that great of an episode. but that's only because leaving the ending out it's been done before. i loved loved loved the ending.

and the best line in the episode is clearly when one of the guys asks beckett how Jimmy Stewart's doing or something like that, hence a nod to the film "Rear Window' the film the episode is based on. but oh well ya know?

haldrey

[3]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 22
    The beginning, middle AND ending were great!

wildhoney66

[4]Apr 2, 2013

well it wasn't terrible by any means. i just thought last weeks was far better that's all

JonathonWolf

[5]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 10
    I think it was a great take on "Rear Window." And probably a good use of their 100th episode. It's wonderful that Kate did all that for his birthday and adds a little extra meaning to the scenes leading to the reveal. I admit I was surprised Gates didn't use Castle and Beckett getting caught breaking and entering as a reason to boot him, but I didn't see the ending coming. Alexis' watching through the binoculars was hilarious.

wildhoney66

[6]Apr 5, 2013

yes it was. notice they also left his age out as well. so my guess is maybe Nathan F. is playing his age? 42 since he just turned that as well.

just a guess. it i believe is also the 1st time they even give any hint on when his b-day is as well. also what is nice is that if you remember in the episode where his ex-wife came into the picture from a couple months ago. Jan. i think? she left Kate thinking on how he knows more about her than she does him. and it's nice that since than he is letting her know more about him since than. going off topic a bit i know about my point is that the relationship is being written so well that's all

matthewgiven3

[7]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 4

I enjoyed this episode not just because I am a huge Hitchcock fan but because one of my uncles has the same birthday as Castle and my grandmother used to play all sorts of jokes and tricks on him every year.

Oh did anyone else notice that Beckett said she loved Castle for the first time in this episode? I am shocked a bigger deal is not being made out of that. Also the dress Beckett wore was the exact same design as a dress Grace Kelly wore in real window. Beckett's dress was black and Kelly's had flowers on it but other then that they were the same.

Pretty good episode.

wildhoney66

[8]Apr 6, 2013

i may have missed that. by the way just because it's the 1st time we see it on the screen doesn't mean it's the 1st time she actually says it. if they are in a serious relationship and they clearly are that doesn't mean we see everything. kinda like when Castle met his father

we know he told Martha about him but we didn't see it. and of course Kate was also there as well. though we didn't see how she reacted to it either. that's my take on it anyways.

matthewgiven3

[9]Apr 6, 2013

Yes but what is the point of having a show if we are not going to see the major moments? I mean what is next? Are they just going to leave us to work out how each case ends and never give us a clue what really happened because we all know they solved the case so they don't need to show it? I am going to assume that this is the first time she has said it unless another episode or one of the writers says otherwise.

wildhoney66

[10]Apr 6, 2013

actaully i'm not going to argue with you this time cause you are right on that. what is the point? i agree i'm just assuming on this. and so it's just a guess on why it wasn't made such a big deal. by my guessing they've been a couple for nearly a year and normally it doesn't as far as i know take someone that long to tell them they love them. as far as i know of course.

so that's why i took a guess on it not being the 1st time she's said it to him. you wanna know something funny before i left for work the other day my dad was channel surfing and i saw jimmy stewart on tv and i go oh Rear Window. which was just total guesswork on my part.

and he checks it cause we have DISH and i ended up being right. my point is i think it's funny that TCM decides to air it the same week this episode aired. anyways the writers for Castle seem to be wanting to write their relationship as realistic as they can. and like i said as far as i know it doesn't take the woman nearly a year normally that long to say it. so guess work is just my reason.

matthewgiven3

[11]Apr 6, 2013

I just assume because it is Beckett it took her a year. let's face it she has no idea how to deal with people or how relationships work. I mean she had to have it pointed out to here that Castle was still coming in after two years for her and not just the books. Then she had to wait another two years and she had to nearly die before she knew she had any feelings for him. I am not being down on her I am just saying her track record seems to prove that she is not the most open person and she isn't that good at picking up on these kind of things. Again nothing against her but given her track record I was not surprised that it took her a year to use the word love.

wildhoney66

[12]Apr 6, 2013

i see what you are saying which makes me wonder if you are right if they cut a scene out that has them making a big deal out of it. like you said.

i guess we have to wait until season 5 comes onto dvd to see if you are right. unless they 1. don't have a scene like that on the set or 2.

they don't have an audio commentary talking about it either.

matthewgiven3

[13]Apr 6, 2013

Yeah I really hope this is one of the episodes they have a lot of extras for on the DvD set. Hopefully as you say we will find out for sure then. It just seems strange to me that they would skip over a major moment like that,I mean they have kind of been building up to it for five years. Still if any episode ran a little long and needed a scene cut or trimmed I would think it would be this one. We will just have to wait for the DvD to come out to know for sure.

wildhoney66

[14]Apr 6, 2013

i forget which season Rick met Kate's father but on the dvd set, you see he met him much earlyier in the season well it was filmed anyways but cut, but they choose to have him meet later on in the season and after seeing the original way it was filmed. i think that was a smart move.

my point is maybe like i said it was cut short or something?

wildhoney66

[15]Apr 6, 2013

by the way i don't mean to repeat myself i just dunno what else to say on the matter that's all and i don't think you do either cause all we need to do is either wait until the Andrew Marlow says something in an interview, or if he doesn't than wait until the season 5 dvd set that's all i can say about that.

JonathonWolf

[16]Apr 8, 2013
    • level: 10
    Interestingly, this episode shows that Kate does know and understand Castle a lot. Not only did she believe that it would be a great way to surprise him for the birthday party, she was able to set up clues and invoke an epiphany in such a way that may be just as well orchestrated as his books.

As for her saying she loved him, I think she first stated that at the end of the last season when they started dating. And some of the other things that has shown her feelings. I can see how they might have glosses over it because it would be a bit cliche to center a B story around it, and putting it in without focusing on it shows how their relationship has gotten to the point where saying it is commonplace. Like the way they worked in the "feeding the birds" congratulation thing; by not making a big deal about it, it gives a stronger impression of the bonding that has taken place. To quote Firefly: "I said you're a part of my crew. Why are we still talking about this?"