Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Official Episode Discussion: The Squab and the Quail 5x21 (Apr 22)

TesserT

[1]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 77
    Please use this thread to discuss episode The Squab and the Quail.

From ABC.go.com: When Beckett is tasked with protecting a charming billionaire whose life is in danger, she reflects on her relationship with Castle; consumed with jealousy, Castle tries to solve the case as quickly as possible.

.....and handsome! I'm just doing my job! This is fate meeting a woman like you!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]Apr 22, 2013
    • level: 13

great episode! even though i wish it was the last episode that was SUPPOSE to air! i dunno if ABC is pulling that episode for good or just messed up on which episode was suppose to air. but "Still' was changed to next week. let's wait and see if that one will air or not.

eric770

[3]Apr 22, 2013
    • level: 4

I hate it when TV shows and movies alike use the tired old scenario in which the girl knows a man for 3 seconds, but manages to divulge personal information that they don't even share with the people that they have history with and are supposed to be in love with. The show has nothing left to explore so they create a quick out of nowhere and for no friggin reason what so ever have Becket and a stranger get intimate with her and even kiss him, despite the half hearted push away. Even the he kissed me, but it meant nothing seems forced and out of character, unless the point was to make Becket come off like a typical cheating man? I fear the show is trying to create tension, but finally bringing Becket and Castle together only to have her character tempted at the slightest whim of a stranger only makes her character look slutty and makes Castle character look like an idiot not addressing Becket's indiscretion in a more realistic way. Way to go writers making a climatic effort to get these characters together only to make it look so meaningless by having Becket swoon for a stranger and share info on the man that's saved her life countless times. way to cuckold your leading man Castle writers, I'll be too busyno longercaring whether they remain a couple from here on out because the episode and direction they are taking just seems too forced and unnecessary. With this one episode they made they entire way they finally got together meaningless! If Becket's character is going to go all angst ridden with every guy that looks or flirts with her then why even bother trying to get a cheap pop by having them get together in the first place?

Canada_Michael

[4]Apr 22, 2013
    • level: 10
    The thing that bugs me is the end. Beckett clearly wanted to ask Castle about where their relationship was heading, & they had her ask the question so indirectly that it wasn't even a logical thing to do IMO. Castle as well all of a sudden got stupid, & the best he could come up with was that. After all his worrying and the comment his mother made earlier that was the best idea he had LOL.

ayinjimenez

[5]Apr 23, 2013
    • level: 2

I agree with you 100%. Castle suddenly became insensitive which we all know isn't him. I mean, come on! He's the sweetest and most sensible guy this series had shown a man can be. Especially when it comes to his loved ones. I don't think that it's proper and wise to make Castle take for granted Kate and Kate in return questions where they're headed in their relationship 'cause first of all, they knew each other more than they know themselves and it was shown in every series of this show. Yes, it is very logical for Castle to get jealous because as I said, he is a sensitive guy then, they contradict this by Castle not knowing and noticing Kate's need to talk because, he wants to go to bed? WTH. HAHA! Castle suddenly became not at all Castle.

Deadeye666

[6]Apr 23, 2013
    • level: 6

Sorry, but this whole episode reeked of bad writing. It seems their writing staff is so bad that they couldn't find a way to introduce some tension and conflict into their relationship in what would have felt like a natural way/progression. So instead they went the blunt force way and basically changed their personalities just so they can create a conflict in their relationship. That's just really weak writing.

eric770

[7]Apr 23, 2013
    • level: 4

I couldn't agree more with the point on the writing and the rather forced way they decided to create tension. If your telling me that all it takes to make Becket doubt Castle is to have a random guest star come in a flirt? Is it that simple? And the out of character, rather unrealistic way they have Becket fall for a guy (flirt) and get intimate 2 seconds after meeting him only cheapens the entire relationship she has had with Castle. That could have went with an as stated - progression, as opposed to the two steps back route they took by creating a way to deal with "whee are we going" by having Becket be tempted and even opening up to a complete stranger in order to create a dialogue with Castle. With all the things that they have shared, confessed, seen and learned about each other all of a sudden now they both lose the ability to speak to each other? It may just be me, but I tend not to care about the issues they try so hard to make you care about when they royally screw them up this way.

wildhoney66

[8]Apr 23, 2013

1stly i don't think it was that bad. the worst episode of the entire isn't this one it's the video one with the band in documentary style that was on earlyier this season. as for her being tempted they do that with all shows if you think about it. the point of the character i think is that the guy is a womanizer. and when you have a guy like that he can pretty much make any woman be tempted if he's that good.

and he worked his magic and it nearly worked. they did the same thing with castle earlyier this season with that reporter or newswoman or whatever she was. though castle didn't want to go out on a date with her. he wasn't sure what the rules were. it makes sense to me that they'd do an episode where it's her being tempted. that's the way i look at it anyways. and i missed the look on castles face when martha said a ring.

i read somewhere that they are having them talk about where their relationship is heading. women want to know and they've been together what a year now. so i am guessing that it is time maybe?

welnoc

[9]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 9
    I'm quite happy to read that I'm not the only one disappointed in this episode. The ending was damned annoying and having Kate cop (excuse the pun) out on telling Castle directly that she wanted to talk about their relationship and issues of trust was ridiculous. Kate's generally a pretty up front character so why the typical, feminine, "where are we going?"

Castle's a male. You have to ask very direct questions and not faff about as Kate did.

If Castle and Beckett split up, even temporarily, that's it for me. I'll be done with this show.

JonathonWolf

[10]Apr 24, 2013
    • level: 10
    I'm curious how this episode will match up with the next one since their order was switched. Seems silly to have an episode about Beckett making Castle jealous right after one of them almost dies. This seems more like it continues the plot line from when Meredith visited, and Beckett wondered how much Castle really opened up with her.

While the setup was poorly executed, I did enjoy seeing Castle taking charge and going overboard to solve the case so that he could get Beckett away from the guy. And, it was nice that they averted having the famous actor being the villain. Sure, going after Beckett wasn't the nicest thing to do; but you never really get the impression that he did it out of malice or ill will.

wildhoney66

[11]Apr 25, 2013

jesus how many times do i have to say that from what i read andrew marlowe say about them getting together that they aren't going to the break up and make up thing that most shows do. they they are together for good. he said that at the start of the season. he also said that they are going to test the relationship cause like any relationship it's going to have it's ups and downs. they will fight the normal stuff.

they will make up. i'm just going by what he said. and he's more honest with the fans than most producers are with most tv shows. so far anyways.