Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: Vampire Weekend 2x06 (Oct 26)

TesserT

[1]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 75
    Let's discuss Monday's episode Vampire Weekend here.

from ABC.com: Castle and Beckett go to a graveyard after the body of a young man sporting vampire fangs is discovered with a wooden stake through his heart.

Check out the sneak peek over at ABC.com. Castle: "It's just a theory."
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

S-Shield

[2]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 21
    Anybody else notice Castle wearing a costume that looks VERY similar to Malcolm Reynolds' from Firefly in the promo?

NatalieParsnip

[3]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 7
    Eeeeee! Yes! I was so delighted!

Dewbak75

[4]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 18

S-Shield wrote:
    Anybody else notice Castle wearing a costume that looks VERY similar to Malcolm Reynolds' from Firefly in the promo?

That whole opening scene was one glorious in-joke for us Browncoats. My only regret is they didn't license the actual Firefly theme to play in the background. Ok, it would've been even better if they'd gotten someone else from the Firefly cast to do a guest spot in the graveyard scene while he was still dressed as Mal.

This was an outstanding episode, lots of great twists and turns, and a truly moving story at the core. About the only thing I found completely predictable was that Castle fabricated that story about finding the dead boy on the beach(tell me you didn't see that coming a mile away). Definite progression on the Castle/Beckett front, he's showing definite signs of crushing on her and she's not shutting down when the conversation turns to her mother's death. I'm still thinking that before the season is over she's going to ask Castle for help investigating what happened to her mother. Either that or a new case will show up with a possible connection, and they'll have to look into it.

Also some great stuff with Castle and Alexis this week. I'm glad they didn't have Alexis be the one who got drunk, and that she didn't resent him for calling the other girl's parents, it would've been out of character. And once again we see that he may be a rascal, but he's a darn good parent. That father/daughter relationship is still one of the things that really sets this show apart from others. It's entertaining yet healthy and realistic(turnstile confession notwithstanding of course).

The other thing I really liked was we finally had some more intersection between the police crew and Castle's home life. They don't do that nearly often enough(like the poker game from last season, which was a hoot). It would be nice to see Alexis interact with the cops once in a while. Obviously there shouldn't be a ton of crossover between them, especially Ryan, Esposito & the Captain, but it would be fun to see more of Beckett with Martha & Alexis. That could make for some great conversations.

danielcollier

[5]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 1
    Greatest intro ever!

RoverGuy

[6]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 9

S-Shield wrote:
    Hence him saying he was going as a Space Cowboy and Alexis reply that there were no cows in space and that he had worn that costume five years ago (when Firefly was on TV) and he should get over/past it. Very funny in-joke, like mentioned above.

Good Halloween-ish episode. Castle freaking out when Morlock attacked him was classic. Becketts revenge for the little boy story was kind of lame. She should have done something bigger, more scary to Castle.

Madelynn1984

[7]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 6
    Not only did we get the reference to Firefly with the Mal-looking outfit, talk of space cowboys, and saying he wore the same costume 5 years ago, but then they got to the graveyard to find a stake through the heart of the victim, and Castle mentions Buffy. Maybe not everyone is aware of it, but Nathan Fillion played the main (corporeal) bad guy in the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer! What a fun beginning to the episode!

historylover20

[8]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 28

I was spoiled, because the last couple minutes I caught of DwtS mentioned that there would be a shoutout to Firefly fans. And what a shoutout! I squealed, I bounced, I giggled all the way through that intro. I laughed so hard at the "I'm a space cowboy!" "There are no cows in space." and "You wore that outfit five years ago. It's time to move on." After I finished recording it, I quickly pulled up that intro and rewatched it another three times. I called my best friend who likes Firefly (but doesn't watch much of Castle) and squealed into her voicemail "Nathan Fillion is dressed up as Mal!" I will definitely have to both explain myself and link her to it on Hulu.

Honestly, I didn't catch the Buffy reference because I was still giggling about the Firefly shout-out. I'll rewatch tonight, just to catch the Buffy reference.

Kat

Edited on 10/27/2009 7:56am

penelope1985

[9]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 21
    I loved this episode. I loved the Underworld reference. Wow and that look between them when they were looking at the comick. I like how things move faster between them than you would think. This definitely wont be another Bones thing.

blackmage8472

[10]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 15
    Damn good episode, Firefly reference was absolutely hilarious. And I just loved "I'm giving you the bird." For a minute I thought Beckett was going to say she was there as Nikki Heat.

historylover20

[11]Oct 27, 2009

I also loved "I'm giving you the bird."

But, one reason I love this show so much is the relationship between Castle and Alexis. It's nice to see a teenager who doesn't hate her father, who isn't all angsty, who is genuinely a good kid and a father whose child means everything to him. You don't see that too often in fiction.

And I loved how he can be a goofoff, fun Dad one moment and a parent the next moment. He wasn't going to argue with Alexis that Paige's parents were going to be called, and Alexis really only made a couple of half-hearted attempts, because she knew when he's serious, she had better do what he asks. Which was for Paige's parents' phone number.

But, I also laughed at "You're gonna bite me, first buy me dinner." Hee!

Kat

EOBB

[12]Oct 27, 2009

I never watched Firefly, and I was never a Nathan Fillian fan before Castle, so I didn't 'get' a lot of the references. I've read enough to know what they were, but they didn't do anything for me personally.

How completely random, and adorable, was the 'You smell like cherries' line? Was that a hidden reference to something? If not, cherries is a weird thing to smell like. I was pleasantly surprised that they had Ryan and Esposito pick up on the connection between them.

The F'egg'in scenes were cute, especially Kate taking over babysitting duty.

Castle's laugh and cough and facial expression was hilarious, if not just a little over the top.

I really love the scenes where Castle plays 'responsible father'. He is surprising believable in that role. I like that they are trying to show he has a grounded side, but it's too bad Kate rarely gets to see that side of him.

There was so much going on with the case, vampires, wearwolves, comic books, Firefly references, the egg-sitting, Castle's party, costumes, Alexis' senior party.... The episode almost seemed too cluttered. I will definitely have to watch this one over a time or two to make sure I don't miss anything.

haldrey

[13]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 22
    Another great installment. Castle was last year best newcomer and continues to be one of the top shows on TV. The vampire theme was very appropriate.

historylover20

[14]Oct 27, 2009

You know, some posters on TWoP are saying that Castle's maniacal laughter dissolving into a cough (when he's holding the drill) is a shout-out to Dr. Horrible.

I don't think so. But wanted to throw that out there.

There were so many touches of perfection to this episode. Like Beckett yanking Castle back by the coat so she and the team could go into the building before him. Hee! Also, the fact that I did not see the murderer coming. That was awesome. Usually on these types of shows (procedurals), you know exactly who the murderer is within the first 10 minutes of the show. This one kept me guessing.

I loved that the meta in this (like the Buffy reference and DEFINITELY the Firefly reference) didn't feel like meta. It wasn't winking at the camera. If you didn't know Firefly, you would have thought Castle was actually reusing a costume he wore 5 years ago. It felt like Castle, and conversation between him and Alexis was extremely natural.

On most shows that use a consultant as a character (like Castle would be), the consultant is so much more intelligent than the cops, can do their jobs (as opposed to their "jub," which is what I mistyped) better than they can. Yeah, Castle can turn up a lot of evidence, but he's looking at stuff through more of a creative mind, while the cops are looking at stuff by the book.

I love this show so much. I love it that it doesn't take itself seriously, but it isn't dumbed down either.

Kat

djmarty

[15]Oct 27, 2009
    This whole episode was like a mega-homage to other series. Firefly, Buffy and I hope you did notice Jon Huertas costume at the party... Generation Kill anyone?

JohnMcLernan

[16]Oct 27, 2009
    glad to see i am not the only one who caught the buffy/fiefly tribute, how about the last two chords of they cant take the sky away from me at the very outset of the show? yay browncoats!

raseberrie

[17]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 1
    Loved this episode, definately one of my favourite from the series so far. It was awesome to see him in the FireFly outfit. Miss that show so much.

Castle is definately becoming very involve in the investigating team. He was the one to open the casket and subsequently got bitten. His evil laugh with the drill was hilarious. And Esposito used to date a vampire but they didnt work coz she wanted to have sex in a coffin. Hahaha

Dewbak75

[18]Oct 27, 2009
    • level: 18
    EOBB wrote:

I never watched Firefly, and I was never a Nathan Fillian fan before Castle, so I didn't 'get' a lot of the references. I've read enough to know what they were, but they didn't do anything for me personally.

How completely random, and adorable, was the 'You smell like cherries' line? Was that a hidden reference to something? If not, cherries is a weird thing to smell like. I was pleasantly surprised that they had Ryan and Esposito pick up on the connection between them.

The F'egg'in scenes were cute, especially Kate taking over babysitting duty.

Castle's laugh and cough and facial expression was hilarious, if not just a little over the top.

I really love the scenes where Castle plays 'responsible father'. He is surprising believable in that role. I like that they are trying to show he has a grounded side, but it's too bad Kate rarely gets to see that side of him.

There was so much going on with the case, vampires, wearwolves, comic books, Firefly references, the egg-sitting, Castle's party, costumes, Alexis' senior party.... The episode almost seemed too cluttered. I will definitely have to watch this one over a time or two to make sure I don't miss anything.

Ok first off, step away from the forum and go watch Firefly immediately, you'll be glad you did.

Beckett may not be around for many of Castle's "good Dad" moments, but she definitely knows about the softer side of him. Besides the interaction she's seen between him & his daughter, Castle becomes especially sympathetic towards the victims and their families when kids are involved, like when that little girl was kidnapped last season. Nathan Fillion did a really good job last year of playing Castle as eager to get closer to the actual crimes from the start, but who was visibly affected when the cases involved children, as if he hadn't realized what he was getting into.

apspeelman

[19]Oct 28, 2009
    Loved it! Rolling on the floor during the intro. The "Didn't you wear that five years ago?,...get over it" reference was super. FireFly is still the number one SciFi show out there (sort of)(To bad Josh Wheldon couldn't repeat his unique vision in Dollhouse). I also got the "Generation Kill" callback. I like these Halloween shows, they always have that little bit of extra fun. I'm glad it's olny ones a year thou. This episode was one of this seasons best so far.

krussell47

[20]Oct 28, 2009
    • level: 12
    I almost died laughing when Castle came out wearing the Malcolm Reynolds outfit from 'Firefly.' And to just make is so much funnier, his daughter makes the reference to didn't you wear that 5 years ago (wasn't sure if she was referencing 'Firefly' or 'Serenity?'). This was a funny episode with all the horror thanks to that great holiday we call Halloween. The vampire case was very interesting and it would be freaky if someone could recall memories so vividly from when they were just 2 years old. That just blows your mind. Another reference to a previous show was Detective Esposito dressed as a soldier (referencing his outfit from the mini-series 'Generation Kill'.) Thought was cool as well. And finally, Beckett getting Castle back with the well placed pop out ghoul under the coat. That was funny and I just love these two together. Excellent episode!