Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Official Episode Discussion: Watershed 5x24 (May 13)

TesserT

[1]May 12, 2013
    • level: 81
    Please use this thread to discuss the season finale Watershed.

From ABC Press Release: An interview with a high-profile federal law enforcement agency forces Beckett to reconsider what she wants out of her job -- and out of her relationship with Castle. Meanwhile, the body of a young woman is found floating inside the water tank of a skid row flop house, but as the team investigate, they discover that her final resting place is just one of many strange things about her death.

ABC Episode Photos
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wildhoney66

[2]May 13, 2013
    • level: 13

ok i dunno how many people have watched this yet. so i won't say how it ended. i know the time zones vary. but i did NOT expect that ending at all. i had an idea of how it may end but i wasn't really thinking about it to be honest. and that's the best way sometimes for you to be surprised.

LindaGiza

[3]May 13, 2013
    • level: 1

I agree very surprised

Bicketybam

[4]May 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    Actually I wasn't surprised, more annoyed I couldn't read a response in their face...

bmoshier

[5]May 14, 2013
    • level: 47

Well the title of this episode is OH, SO, APPROPRIATE!

It is now late enough the episode has been on everywhere, except maybe Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, etc. Sorry, guys, but if you're reading . . .

I am so grateful / glad Castle went first in the discussion! I'm also glad the way he worded his proposal allowed her to take the job! She doesn't have a "good" reason (that I can see) to say anything but YES! It is a match made in heaven.

Now, the questions / thoughts for season 6?

1. When will the wedding take place? (My guess towards the end of the season, but it could be at the beginning given other seasons have shown time and events between the seasons / during the summer).

2. About the job? Again, I think she'll already be on the new job when the season begins (at least) based upon the previous seasons.

3. What if she said no, though? Castle will move to DC to be close to her and show her he is serious like a heart attack.

4. The series is Castle not Becket, what about his role? Bottom line: Castle will be on the team (if not in the first episode) then within a couple of them. After all he's proven he can handle the job and Beckett works better with Castle than without him. I'm sure his role and her use of him came up in the decision.

5. But what about the other cast members? Well, maybe Beckett won't be able to make it in DC or won't like it and go back to the NYPD. IMHO, it is a shame, though! The series must have Castle and Beckett and while I really do like / love the other members, many a series makes major changes (entire cast changes, such as Stargate SG1).

6. Another possibility for her job: Sometime in the season the AG decides to assign people to specific areas. Beckett goes to the NYC and NY state. The NYPD assigns her old team to be the interface to the AG investigation team. Welcome back old cast members. Yeah, I know seems made up to make it work out .... I agree it is doubtful.

7. Will season 6 be the last one? While I don't know what the contracts look like nor the ratings, per say. I hope and doubt it will be the last. There are lots of stories left in Castle and Beckett!!

Now turning this over to you:

• * So, where do you see Season 6 going?

• * What are you questions and thoughts?

• * How would you answer the questions I brought up????

Edited on 05/13/2013 11:56pm
    Edited 2 total times.

LindaGiza

[6]May 14, 2013
    • level: 1

Wow you covered everything.

JonathonWolf

[7]May 14, 2013
    • level: 10

I think she''ll say no. After an argument is not the right time, and she can't be certain it's because he wants to or is afraid of losing her. probably reject him in classic fashion. the next season will be him proving his seriousness, and end with her saying yes.

wildhoney66

[8]May 16, 2013

i dunno, my feelings are kind of mixed honestly. i LOVE the fact that he asked her don't get me wrong, weather they had a fight or not. i don't think they fought as serious as the end of season 4 though. my guess is if she decides to say no to him well that she's not ready for that kind of commitment that wouldn't upset me. cause like her dad said this is the longest relationship she's ever had.

so things are also still new to her as well. many people complain that she all of a sudden out of nowhere was thinking about her future. no i think she's i'm guessing thinking about it. and she didn't search out the job in washington. she prolly went to the interview just to see what they had to say. is my guess. just to see what's out there. honestly i thought Gates was going to yell at her for not saying anything to her about her being offered a job to be honest. and i think she's a great cop even if castle isn't with her. yes he makes her think outside the box. and he's a big influence on her as a cop. but no doubt she did very well without him anyways. people also complain how the show isn't being based around just castle anymore.

well actually that doesn't bother me. since him and beckett are now dating and who maybe being engaged? if she does say yes. that is. than it makes sense to me that we see how he reacts to stuff happening but i also like to know how she handles it as well. and i love it when the writers give other characters their own story. i do also think this season that his family weren't in the show enough at all. that was a stupid move on the writers part. and as i've said about season 4 it was yes more serious than season 5. but after Beckett got shot. she had to deal with that and

her feelings for Castle as well. cause even though others pretty much knew how she felt about him. there is a difference when she had to realize that herself. and it was i think smart they dealt with all that and we found out who killed her mother before they started dating. and though many people seem to hate season 4. that's why they had to do it i think. and for me it worked. yes it had a WTF story arc of them not talking near the end of the season. and that felt like it lasted to long during the original run. but we all knew it would at some point end.

season 5 yes was immensly better than season 4. but season 4 i enjoyed. i love they did bring the fun back in season 5 don't get me wrong. and i hope that's also there in season 6 as well.

i also think that in the finale castle had a right to be pissed, i would have been too if i was him. kate would have at some point told him about the interview i think. regardless if he hadn't found the airplane ticket. and as i've said i like how both of them were thinking about what the next step would be in their relationship? not just Kate! Castle in many ways is still immature for his age. but he's slowly at least on some things getting more mature. my guess is that he proposed for well for one thing so he wouldn't lose her.

and maybe to make her stay as well. though he didn't say that. he also i think decided to go wherever she went as well. though i don't think the goverment will let him work there like gates let him work there. it wouldn't work anyways if they did that.

cause him being at the 12th is i think a better fit. and i think they were able to keep the chemistry they had before they got together.

though in some episodes it may not always felt like that to some people. anyways that's all i got for now.

Canada_Michael

[9]May 16, 2013

The season finale had me feeling indifferent to the Castle/Beckett relationship to be honest, it's starting to get tedious IMO. If next season is it's last then they can do a proper relationship wrap up, If they go more then one season I think the show will go downhill fast. They have now made their relationship the main focus of the show IMO, and not just a part of the show.

Summary

[10]May 17, 2013
    • level: 2

I have been thinking about the future since the episode aired. I have read many of the comments and find some very insightful. My thoughts are that the show is All the characters, so if Beckett goes to DC with or without Castle, it will diminish the show and its appeal.

My thoughts are that the relationship takes a kind of Lois and Clark turn, i.e. Beckett says, "No, well, maybe, but not now." Castle is hurt and upset and walks away from the NYPD. Meanwhile the 41st becomes inundated with cases and Esposito and Ryan are moved to other divisions, leaving Beckett with a newly promoted male detective. There is some sexual tension between the new character and Beckett but it is never consummated.

Early in the season (before Castle's new Nikki Heat book comes out) , a murder occurs at Martha's school (or a play she is in) and becomes a suspect. Beckett and Castle meet each other, solve the case and talk at the swings after the case is solved. They smile at each other and walk away, Beckett looks back after Castle as he continues to walk away.

During the season, we learn that Beckett has taken the Lieutenant's exam. She goes to a series of meetings and finds she is on the fast track to becoming a Lieut. During one episode, Capt. Gates is hurt and Beckett is in charge of the precinct. It is chaotic and Beckett asks Esposito and Ryan to work on a murder while she quarterback's it from the Precinct. They agree providing that Castle can help them. Reluctantly Beckett agrees and Castle comes back to help.

Toward the end of the season, both Castle and Beckett have dreams wherein they swap places and lives (as suggested by another forum member.) In the dreams they live in each other's shoes and begin to understand the other's feelings and their own. Castle is visited by his ex-wives who discuss why their marriages failed. Beckett's mother comes to her and Beckett's life. After the dream, each talk to their parents some more and come to the realization that nothings perfect, no body is all good or all bad, each have overcome large hurdles to get where they are and ultimately need each other.

In a burst of energy, Castle writes another Nikki Heat book having Heat and Rook say to each other what Beckett and Castle should but have a hard time doing. Unbeknownst to Castle, Beckett gets a copy of the newest Heat book before it officially comes out. At a book signing party, Beckett comes to Castle, with the book inscribed to Castle. In it is says, "I love you, always have and always will. If you will still have me, I would love to Marry you!." Beckett hands Castle the ring and her hand. (Could be enough for a cliff hanger for next season or end of series)

wildhoney66

[11]May 17, 2013

well i dunno about all that, i don't think that will happen to be honest. if as i've said Andrew Marlowe stays true to his word and not break them up at all. but of course give them ups and downs, fights and make-ups and why anyone isn't surprised that the MAIN story line is their relationship well that's really what i expected to be honest. if you look at say Buffy when we had her and Angel as a couple it was the main focus of the show, but they of course weren't the only story line. and them posing for pics on ads promoting the show also showed that.

yes they had other relationships on the show but i'm talking about the early years when the show was at it's peak. before he left the show at the end of season 3. my point is the way i look at it is this, most shows if you really think about it if they go the will they or won't they route if it's the leads as on Castle. the main story line is them as a couple when they are a couple. hell it was the same way on "Friends' even though all these shows have other characters as well. on Friends the fans wanted to know when Ross & Rachel are getting together. and later on it was when will it happen? even though the whole show didn't center around it. fans wanted to know. as i said a LOT of shows do go that route. so it wasn't that surprising that the show Castle went that route.

but i do think they also should give other characters a chance as well. i got my mom into this show he he. and at one point this season she was complaining now get this, it was during Espo's. episode where he finds that kid and ends up kinda adopting him in a way. i loved the episode cause it was for a chance to see him away from the precint. my mom HOWEVER didn't like it. and she complained about it not being about castle and becket. and i said well Ma i love those episodes too. but the show has other characters as well. my

point is that the writers my guess thinks the fans want only kate and Rick episodes and some of them do. that's my guess anyone. others like me love them as much as anybody weather it's an earlyier season when they were just flirting, or even now with them as a couple. but i also love the show when it give the other characters something to do as well. like the Ryan and his wife trying for a kid for example.

Andrew marlowe seems to me like the type of guy that on most things wants to do something different than most shows do. which most shows would have broken than up at the end of the season for example. he went instead to himself and the writers, well i see the end of the season with a proposal. people will not expect that. and he was right actually. so my point is you may be wrong on what you typed. just a thought

wildhoney66

[13]May 28, 2013

i think that's what they meant by saying she'll say no.

JonathonWolf

[14]Jun 20, 2013
    mnementh01 wrote:
    JonathonWolf wrote:

I think she''ll say no. After an argument is not the right time, and she can't be certain it's because he wants to or is afraid of losing her. probably reject him in classic fashion. the next season will be him proving his seriousness, and end with her saying yes.

Seriously???

Castle has shown time and time again his commitment to Beckett, while all the time she has been unable or simply unwilling to do the same.

I'm not saying she doesn't believe he loves her, just that she will be unsure if he's proposing because he wants to or because he feels it's what he's supposed to do. She's stated that she's a one and done kind of girl, so she wouldn't accept if she has doubts. It's possible that Castle had an epiphany with his emotions and is proposing for all the right reasons, but it is also a step that they haven't talked about. Most proposals come about after a couple have had talks about it; Beckett was just complaining about how they can't talk about where their relationship is going. Beckett may not even be ready for that next step and only wanted to be reassured that it would eventually lead to marriage.