Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Predictability

Gune23

[1]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 9

Anyone starting to notice just how obviously predictable the show is starting to be? The last episode i had guessed who the killer was!

So i figured that without even looking at spoilers im going to try and guess how the season will end. Id like to see what other peoples guess are aswell. (No Cheating!)

So to start off heres my three ways the season will end.

1. Castle will get into a accident after a conflict with Beckett.

2. At Ryans wedding Catle and Beckette kiss again. OR after seeing Jenny and Ryan off it ends with Castle and Beckett holding hands

3.3XK killer comes back and either hurts Castle or kidnaps him.

Theres my 3 errr 3.5 Love to see what anyone else comes up with!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

McDuplessis

[2]Mar 23, 2011
    Gune23 I really doubt that anybody here cares whether they think the show is predictable as honestly from what I've read on the forums here the mystery-solving part is secondary to lots of people..And really now the only way you can't guess who the killer is these days is if you don't see the killer in the first 11 minutes of the show...Like the finale of season 2...

You have some interesting guesses there but I'm just going to enjoy the show and the brilliant acting and well written lines a go with the ride...

SheWhoTangles

[3]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 7

We just had this discussion at work today. The newbies that just started watching the show said the mysteries were predicable, but those of us that have watched from the beginning explained that it's the relationship between Castle and Beckett that have us obsessed with the show and what happens on it. The mysteries/crimes are the backdrop for the scenes with the two of them, and when we shared of the season 1 and 2 history, fresh interest in the characters were indeed peaked.

I don't know what's in store for the finale episode but I think (okay I hope major) three things are going to happen before the season ends:

1. The fundraiser event will bring Castle and Beckett closer and put them in an "unguarded moment photo" of some type with the pair labeled as a couple in the public eye causing ripples from Josh to HQ and the pair themselves.

2. Josh and Castle are going to clash over Beckett and we will see a side of Josh that will make trouble between Caskett.

3. Beckett is going to have some type of epiphany about her true feelings for Castle and her well-practiced cool is going to crack just in time for the season to end while she tries to grapple with how to handle it.

Fingers crossed and anticipation primed... those are my wild theories. And if they happen, summer will be grueling waiting for the series to resume!

BarryWeen3

[4]Mar 23, 2011
    • level: 14

The creator, Andrew Marlowe, himself said in the recent TV Guide article that he doesn't consider his show a cop procedural but rather a love story in the backdrop of a procedural. So to him, the characters and specifically the relationship journey of Castle and Beckett is more important.

SheWhoTangles

[5]Mar 23, 2011

Barryween, that is so good to read! It means that the careful care put into even the smallest moment between Casket is significant, and for me, why their developing relationship is so exciting to watch. It also means the show will keep getting better.

Watching Martha snuggle with Corbin on the couch had me thinking they were reading something Castle might have written intending to put in one of his books with the words seeming to reflect a scene that he might imagine between him and Becket. The actual situation was really funny, but it did leave me wondering about Castle's father. Do you think his father will play an actual part in a future episode?

BarryWeen3

[6]Mar 23, 2011

SheWhoTangles wrote:

Barryween, that is so good to read! It means that the careful care put into even the smallest moment between Casket is significant, and for me, why their developing relationship is so exciting to watch. It also means the show will keep getting better.

Watching Martha snuggle with Corbin on the couch had me thinking they were reading something Castle might have written intending to put in one of his books with the words seeming to reflect a scene that he might imagine between him and Becket. The actual situation was really funny, but it did leave me wondering about Castle's father. Do you think his father will play an actual part in a future episode?

Possibly, I can see that as a basis for an episode. Assuming Martha actually remembers who his father is.

Did you get a chance to read the TV Guide article? If not, here's a link that Starprincess provided to a scan of the article by SpoilerTV.

TV Guide - Castle

SheWhoTangles

[7]Mar 24, 2011

Martha seems to have always been a free spirit in the show, even back then. I find it interesting to think that Castle is so well off and can live his life on his own terms, even buy a plot on the moon, but he hasn't tried to find his father? I kind of wonder if maybe he did and never told anyone before... but if he did finally spill the beans, my guess is Beckett would be his first choice for sharing this big secret.

The article was really interesting. I've wondered about what solving her mom's case might mean to Beckett. That investigation has been a big part of her life for so long, who better to help her poke around and figure out what's next in her life but Castle--if TVGuide isn't teasing us.

I did see a mention of a cut scene between Castle and Alexis from the big two-parter being online somewhere, but to date all the links are broken... still searching.

MrAndree

[8]Mar 25, 2011
    • level: 19
    Of course the crimes are predictable (just like in every other crime show I watch), usually you can tell who is the killer after the first 10 minutes, and even their motivations. But that's not the point of this show. The characters and their relationships are. Especially Castle and Beckett. And right now, that's one of the best ones in television.

melody3173

[9]Mar 26, 2011
    • level: 3

Gune23, your predictions are interesting. But option number 2 and 3 might not be possible, cos Ryan's wedding and 3XK won't be back until season 4. And I don't know, but Castle gets hurt after a conflict with Beckett is a good option that is unlikely to happen.Anyway, just as people said, I watch Castle not mainly because of the cases, but because of the relationships. Well I have to admit that predictable cases did disappoint me sometimes, but Castle's advantages like funny moments or witty banter made up for that.

Edited on 03/26/2011 8:03am

SheWhoTangles

[10]Mar 26, 2011

I find that I rarely remember who did it the following day, but I do remember every wonderful Caskett moment!

Kudorigami

[11]Mar 28, 2011
    • level: 5

I don't buy the whole 'procedurals are secondary' comment. It's obvious from watching the show that the writers put at least as much thought into creating the murders as the character developments. I also think the predictablity is 50-50. Sometimes you saw who they tried to made look the less suspicious and sometimes you don't guess it.

I also think most people act too lenient in considering themselves having guessed the identity. Having at least 5 different theories and suspecting 3 people and in the last 5 mins narrowing it down to 1 is NOT predicting the identity of the killer. Ihad this onmultipleoccasions when I watch a mystery with a group of people. They all throw their ideas and then when one of them sticks they say: "Ha! I told you so!" Yeah well...ofcourse you told me who did it, you named every candidate!

Also, the trick is to figure out the culprit by deducing and dotting lines between clues. Not because of your familiarity in cinematography and structure of a procedural tv-show. >.>

Edited on 03/28/2011 10:23am

fishysticks55

[12]Mar 30, 2011

Not only is the show predictable but it's kinda like watching the same episode over and over (at least for this season). Basically, a person is found murdered, Beckett arrives at the scene. Castle is at home having breakfast with his mom and daughter and receives a call from Beckett, and he then arrives at the scene. Ryan and Esposito arrest a suspect who was seen fighting with the victim hours before he/she was murdered. The captain stresses the importance in solving the case. They interrogate and check the suspect's alibi. The suspect's alibi checks out so the suspect is free to go. They are back to square one. They do some investigating, and Castle and Beckett do their little thing they usually do together to solve the mystery and case solved. Castle and Beckett has some kind of funny/cute moment. End of episode.

McDuplessis

[13]Mar 30, 2011
    Fishysticks55 Must not be much of a fan lol!!...

SheWhoTangles

[14]Mar 30, 2011

fishysticks55 wrote:

Not only is the show predictable but it's kinda like watching the same episode over and over (at least for this season). Basically, a person is found murdered, Beckett arrives at the scene. Castle is at home having breakfast with his mom and daughter and receives a call from Beckett, and he then arrives at the scene. Ryan and Esposito arrest a suspect who was seen fighting with the victim hours before he/she was murdered. The captain stresses the importance in solving the case. They interrogate and check the suspect's alibi. The suspect's alibi checks out so the suspect is free to go. They are back to square one. They do some investigating, and Castle and Beckett do their little thing they usually do together to solve the mystery and case solved. Castle and Beckett has some kind of funny/cute moment. End of episode.

The routine does change. Beckett got the phonecall from the cop holding back info on her mom's murder at home. She went to Castle's place in person, and he left with her to meet the guy who was then promptly dispatched. A total stranger with the answers Beckett has been searching for died in Castle's arms.

By the end of that episode they had kissed, not once, but twice, and Castle beat the *^&** out of someone trying to shoot Beckett with his bare hand--a hand that Beckett herself gently and lovingly rewrapped a bandage around. Castle told her he would be there for her always... Those kind of moments don't happen everyday or they wouldn't have any where near the impact on us if they did.

The best part of the show is the developing relationship between these dynamic people. Castle is a loving father who wants to be there for his daughter everyday and is. They eat breakfast together, they talk, they laugh. I love that they begin many episodes with that solid, dependable foundation before the world starts to turn upside down.

This whole show is about two people looking for someone they can hold onto and be there for each other through it all (ordinary and not so ordinary)--what Beckett said she wanted in the quarantine tent. Castle knew it too as soon as she said it; we've known it since the start. It helps them rise above the everyday into something better. What you see as predicable, is the anchor and framework for our characters to find each other in. I really hope you keep watching!

Edited on 03/30/2011 5:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.

fishysticks55

[15]Apr 1, 2011

Granted there are certain episodes that are special. If there wasn't then nobody would be watching. I think someone mentioned above that the show is more about the relationship between the characters, not the crime/mystery itself. I remember in season one, they did a really good job balancing the cop aspect of the show with character development, but season 3 seems like they're focusing way too much into the characters. I guess that's a good thing but I just kind of find myself bored watching the show, only waiting for the cute/funny moments between Castle and Beckett.

SheWhoTangles

[16]Apr 1, 2011

I can see your point, as I know I do find myself holding my breath for the moments between them; but I do know I'm going to watch the episode over 5-6 times and I usually can get into the mystery portion much better.

Columbo always showed us who did it and we'd watch him unravel the clues, so maybe I don't mind it enough. Even without any kind of romance, the way his mind worked, playing the murderers the way he did, watching him catch the bad guy with his unique personality and quirks was fun. Monk echoed that, but with mysteries to solve and the development of his character here and there across the seasons.

On the flip side, I loved watching Bones until the moments, or hope of a spark between them, seemed to go out of the show and then the show was boring to me. There are only so many gruesome ways to die and leave icky body parts for someone to boil or dissect. It was the dropping of character development there, I think at least, that cost a lot of viewers their interest in the show. With no romance, I prefer watching Quincy reruns. I really don't want to see Castle go the direction of endless nights with strangers or a 4-episode sleepover for either of our characters. There are enough cop shows for that already, I want the magic of their precarious romance to click and make them even better at what they do because the show has that potential.