Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

The cases

nolefan32

[1]Mar 10, 2010
    • level: 11

First, let me say that I love this show, it's my second favorite current show (the first being Warehouse 13, though it's off until the summer). And I get that this show isn't Law & Order, it's more about the play between Castle and Beckett and Castle and Alexis than it is about the cases.

That said, am I the only one that is getting more and more disappointed by the cases, though? Week after week, figuring out who the bad guy is before Castle and Beckett do is getting easier and easier. I didn't think too much of it when Ray Wise turned out to be the killer (he is the Devil, after all), but this week, in "The Mistress Always Spanks Twice", the killer had not even uttered a line, he/she (I'm trying to avoid spoiling anyone who hasn't seen the episode yet)was only on screen for a couple of seconds, and I knew he/she did it. Which wouldn't have bothered me (like I said, I get this isn't Law & Order, I get that it's really about the relationships), but then this was an episode where it seemed like the writers gave us an extra dose of red herring suspects. So it appears like the writers would like for us to be guessing whodunnit all the way up to the end, which means they're trying to put at least some emphasis on the case ... but then they make it so easy to figure out who did it that a blind man could solve the murder before Castle and Beckett.

It's just disappointing that they seem to want us to care about the cases, but then make them so very easy to solve that it defeats the purpose. They could learn a thing or two from the people who wrote Murder She Wrote or Matlock, two crime shows that also were done with a lighter energy and were more about the characters and the relationships than the actual cases, but which still managed to write interesting cases that were at least a little challenging for the viewer to solve.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jacks_Son

[2]Mar 10, 2010
    • level: 13

Truthfully, I don't put much effort into trying to solve the case, I just enjoy the process and go along for the ride. I'm not one of those people that take a look at the case and then figure it out in ten seconds. That, to me, takes the fun out of the interactions between the characters.

sandbur

[3]Mar 10, 2010
    • level: 25

I'm with Jacks_Son for the most part. I just want to be entertained and part of that is letting the show do the work! I want to get wrapped up in the story for an hour, and its nice when you can laugh some as you do it. Even nicer when you can imagine, laugh and do it all with a cast full of characters you can invest in. Brain surgery it ain't...but when was brain surgery ever this fun??!! Laughing

nolefan32

[4]Mar 12, 2010
    Don't get me wrong - love the show, love Castle and Beckett, love the banter ... hey, I'm a straight male and I'd tune in to watch Nathan read the phone book every week, he's just that good.

And I wouldn't be complaining about how obvious the killer was if the writers weren't putting in so much effort into red herrings throughout. But it does seem like the writers are hoping we'll be fooled and wondering who the killer is, except that they practically put the killer in a neon pink t-shirt that says "I'm the killer. Ask me how."

Jacks_Son

[5]Mar 12, 2010
    • level: 13

Well, from my perspective, they did a reasonably good job of throwing in red herrings. The roommate seemed sincerely distraught at the loss of her friend. I initially thought it was the female Ph.D. candidate, as she seemed to grasp her wrist before speaking to Beckett and Castle, and I thought it was a "tell". I never thought it was the male candidate although he did a pretty good job of incriminating himself. (I'm confused about one thing though, I thought ALL the murdered student's research was returned to the locked file cabinet; if so, how did the roommate get a hold of the research?) I also didn't think it was the boyfriend despite all the attempts to point to him as the killer. It would be extremely stupid to use a collar that you purchased and leave it on your murder victim.

The roommate had the weakest motive they've shown so far. (it even beats out Ray Wise's motive for killing the baseball player) She killed her because she was leaving her? Well, yeah, you were practically stalking her, duh!

What made you think the roommate was the killer early on?

Edited on 03/12/2010 1:44pm

nolefan32

[6]Mar 12, 2010
    Jacks_Son wrote:

(I'm confused about one thing though, I thought ALL the murdered student's research was returned to the locked file cabinet; if so, how did the roommate get a hold of the research?)

The guy made copies of the research. The original was returned to the cabinet, but it was the copy that the roommate found after the guy returned it.
    Jacks_Son wrote:

What made you think the roommate was the killer early on?

Something in the way she carried herself; she hadn't even uttered a line yet and I thought to myself, she did it. Later they made it really obvious when she "set the glass aside to hand-wash it later," - no, she set it aside to throw the cops off her sent if she needed it (I mean, really, it was in the dishwasher, so just wash the damn thing). Granted, there were moments when Castle and Beckett thought they had the right person and I was looking at the clock and thought maybe they'd managed to fool me because it was getting really close to the end of the episode, but nope, it was her.

Bluvette1969

[7]Mar 13, 2010
    • level: 2
    I agree 100%. I enjoy the banter. I hope this show is on for a very long time.

BarryWeen3

[8]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 14
    nolefan32 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong - love the show, love Castle and Beckett, love the banter ... hey, I'm a straight male and I'd tune in to watch Nathan read the phone book every week, he's just that good.

And I wouldn't be complaining about how obvious the killer was if the writers weren't putting in so much effort into red herrings throughout. But it does seem like the writers are hoping we'll be fooled and wondering who the killer is, except that they practically put the killer in a neon pink t-shirt that says "I'm the killer. Ask me how."

...says "I'm the killer. Ask me how."...

That's not a reference to the Howard Epps case over on Bones, i.e. "My Name is Parker, ask me how I can solve this case.", is it?

Like others have stated, I enjoy the show more for the banter between Beckett and Castle and Castle interacting with his family than for the cases. On a unrelated (or sorta of related) note, what do you think about the cases over on Bones where there's a similar dynamic going on?

Geotv

[9]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 5

I don't know it's the fault of the writers, other than maybe trying too hard to make the murderer less obvious - in other words, because it's TV, and not real life, I always look for the guy/woman who's least obvious, then guess that they are the crook.

nolefan32

[10]Mar 30, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    nolefan32 wrote:

...says "I'm the killer. Ask me how."...

That's not a reference to the Howard Epps case over on Bones, i.e. "My Name is Parker, ask me how I can solve this case.", is it?

Like others have stated, I enjoy the show more for the banter between Beckett and Castle and Castle interacting with his family than for the cases. On a unrelated (or sorta of related) note, what do you think about the cases over on Bones where there's a similar dynamic going on?
    Actually, I borrowed that from Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "So I shouldn't wear my button that says, 'I'm a slayer, ask me how'," though Buffy was riffing on old ad campaigns, I think they were for Avon.

As for Bones, I stopped watching after last season. I'd been bothered by the fact that so many of the characters on Bones strike me as very two-dimensional, and on top of that, David Boreanaz isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is (loved him as a brooding vampire, though). But I did like Bones herself - Emily Deshanel gets major props for taking what should have been a two-dimensional character and fleshing her out very well just through her nuanced performance. But last season, between Booth having his life saved by a ghost, then seeing visions of cartoon babies from other Fox shows, to a season finale that didn't actually happen and which ended with the way overused amnesia moment ... I'm sorry, I had to throw in the BS flag and stop tuning in, and I know a lot of people were upset with how last season ran, but I guess not enough were bothered enough to bail out like I did. To each his own.

I guess I'm just spoiled by really good shows that went a long way in trying to turn conventional storytelling on its ear. The early works of Joss Whedon for example (Buffy, Angel and Firefly - though admitedly I thought the man built his Edsel with Dollhouse). Pushing Daisies. Warehouse 13. Unfortunately, most of my favorite shows of late haven't managed to get past the first season, so I guess I must be in the minority by hoping for interesting characters and interactions *and* great storytelling, rather than just compromising and making excuses of "well, I really just watch for the interaction between Castle and Beckett". I've said it before, I don't want this show to turn into Law & Order where the cases are what's important and the characters are all two dimensional, but it would be nice to see the cases get better as long as it's not at the detriment to the characters. What would be interesting is to see them do a little Murder She Wrote/Matlock spin, that is, where the clue that ultimately breaks the case wide open is included somewhere in the episode, and so the point becomes to see if the viewer can solve the case before Castle and Beckett do.

OTH_15

[11]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 12

i dont watch this show for the cases even though i would have to agree its pretty easy to get who the killer is

but i watch the show for the character interaction..it really makes the show what it is