Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

the kiss

chrisj18

[1]Mar 18, 2010
    • level: 5

A kiss between beckett, and castle...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

chrisj18

[2]Mar 18, 2010

Whenare beckett and castle gonna be together. You can tell that they like each other,all you need is a romantic kiss to back that up.....to see if they have chemistry between each other...

nolefan32

[3]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 11
    Don't hold your breath. When sexual tension is one of the primary elements of a show's electricity (like it is on Castle), the writers won't let those characters get together for fear of ruining the formula that's been successful. You can bet that Castle and Beckett will eventually end up together as a couple, but that won't be until the very last season of the show.

Starprincess13

[4]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 24

nolefan32 wrote:
    Don't hold your breath. When sexual tension is one of the primary elements of a show's electricity (like it is on Castle), the writers won't let those characters get together for fear of ruining the formula that's been successful. You can bet that Castle and Beckett will eventually end up together as a couple, but that won't be until the very last season of the show.

Exactly. Just look at 'Bones' for an example. We didn't get a kiss until season 3 (and that was part of a bet/deal with another character and it occurred under mistletoe) and the characters still haven't gotten together (we have 8 episodes left in season 5 right now).

Starprincess13

[5]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 24

Oh, and welcome to the forum, chrisj18!!

chrisj18

[6]Mar 21, 2010
    why the last season of the show . They look so cool,and cute together already even all my cousins who watch the show think so too,and they can't wait for them to get together...

chrisj18

[7]Mar 21, 2010
    what do you mean the last season of the show,and what season would that be in? season 2,or season 3 because even my cousins can tell that they should be together soon, and should be together on the show..

chrisj18

[8]Mar 21, 2010
    But what very last season of the show,because they do look very cute together already eveyone in my family that watches castle even says they should have kissed and been a couple already...

chrisj18

[9]Mar 21, 2010
    If everyone suspects something romantic between castle and beckett,then they should be together soon by the end of season 2 going in seson 3,me and my cousins can't wait. we all know they like each other...

JonathonWolf

[10]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 10

Just because the viewers think they look like a couple doesn't mean the writers have to put them together. There are entire heated debates about which characters should get together with other shows. I'm with the other person, it'll be the series finale before they actually become a couple. There's something keeping Beckett from acknowledging or acting upon her feelings. That's got to get resolved, then we'd start seeing stuff happening. Castle seems to be kind of aware he has feelings for her. After this season finishes, I wouldn't be surprised if he realizes he loves her. Assuming things go the way I think they will to start into season 3. Then we'll have to see some kind of epiphany moment for Beckett where she is confronted with her true feelings.

sandbur

[11]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 25

Too much good writing and too many great stories for "it" to happen yet! Just more seasons with more tension please...

chrisj18

[12]Mar 23, 2010

True, but he needs to tell her how feels about her first to get to like him. last night was a start he tried to protect her...

nolefan32

[13]Mar 23, 2010
    chrisj18 wrote:
    But what very last season of the show,because they do look very cute together already eveyone in my family that watches castle even says they should have kissed and been a couple already...
    Trust me, you want to see this show go off the air? All you have to do is let Beckett and Castle become a serious couple, and then the ratings will plumet.

Yes, all the fans *know* they should be a couple, and it's that energy between them that's one of the primary reasons we keep tuning in. That's a lot of why the show is fun. Let them get together finally, and the dynamic will change completely, the show will no longer be fun. There's a reason why fairy tales end with "and they lived happily ever after," because after that, the story isn't nearly as interesting anymore. Ever heard of the term "jumping the shark"? It refers to the moment that the entire audience becomes painfully aware the writers of a TV show are completely out of fresh ideas, and then the ratings go in the toilet as people stop tuning in. Well one of the classic "jumping the shark" moments is when "they" finally get together as a couple. Take a look at Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman; that show did pretty well as long as Lois didn't know Clark's identity and they never fully admitted their attraction to each other. In the last season, she found out, they admitted their love, and got married - the show was cancelled mid-season, not even the prospect of Lois being pregneant with Clark's super-baby could save it. It was no longer fun. That's the main show I can think of that tried to milk it beyond their characters being a couple, most of the others I'm familar with avoided letting their characters get together until the last episode of the last season.

That's why it won't be until the last season that you'll see Castle and Beckett get together. They'll hint at it a lot before that, tease the audience like crazy, and that's why we'll keep tuning in, to see how far along the two of them get in the next episode. Will they realize they like each other and admit it out loud, at least to characters other than each other? Will they finally kiss (but will it be a real kiss, or something they have to do while on a case or something)? Will they finally go on a date? They'll tease us like crazy. But I promise you, the moment that they do become a couple ... if it hadn't been already announced, you can mark it on your calendar, that will be the show's final season.

Now I will note that there have been shows that managed to let their lead couples get together and it didn't kill the show, but they were shows that were also structured in such a way that once they got together, they could be instantly pulled back apart to keep the tension going, and even heighten the tension. A great example is Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the writers let Angel and Buffy sleep together in the second season, and then the curse kicked in and Angel reverted back to an evil vampire and started killing all of Buffy's friends. So it might be possible that could happen here, but don't count on it - the writers on this show are great at writing fun characters and relationships, but they suck when it comes to significant plot points, so I don't see them figuring out how to let Beckett and Castle be together and then rationally split them up again (without having them hate each other afterwards, that is). The structure of the storylines so far have been pretty traditional, so you can expect that the future of the show will be traditional TV, nothing too unusual.

kyubi256

[14]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 9
    The show could potentially survive if Castle and Kate got together... but it'd be hard because that is half of the appeal of the show. They would need some major changing up

BarryWeen3

[15]Mar 23, 2010
    • level: 14
    nolefan32 wrote:
    chrisj18 wrote:
    Trust me, you want to see this show go off the air? All you have to do is let Beckett and Castle become a serious couple, and then the ratings will plumet.

Yes, all the fans *know* they should be a couple, and it's that energy between them that's one of the primary reasons we keep tuning in. That's a lot of why the show is fun. Let them get together finally, and the dynamic will change completely, the show will no longer be fun. There's a reason why fairy tales end with "and they lived happily ever after," because after that, the story isn't nearly as interesting anymore. Ever heard of the term "jumping the shark"? It refers to the moment that the entire audience becomes painfully aware the writers of a TV show are completely out of fresh ideas, and then the ratings go in the toilet as people stop tuning in. Well one of the classic "jumping the shark" moments is when "they" finally get together as a couple. Take a look at Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman; that show did pretty well as long as Lois didn't know Clark's identity and they never fully admitted their attraction to each other. In the last season, she found out, they admitted their love, and got married - the show was cancelled mid-season, not even the prospect of Lois being pregneant with Clark's super-baby could save it. It was no longer fun. That's the main show I can think of that tried to milk it beyond their characters being a couple, most of the others I'm familar with avoided letting their characters get together until the last episode of the last season.

I agree that they'll keep Beckett and Castle apart as long as possible but I don't think it's a jumping the shark moment when they do. Jumping the Shark was coined when it literally happened on Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark on water skies. It was such a nonsensical moment that it jarred you out of the show's reality. Geting Beckett and Castle together is not really a jump the shark moment, it's more of writers in fear of a Moonlighting moment. When the characters of the two leads, Bruce Willis and Cybil Shephard, got together on that show, there was a decline in their onscreen chemistry and ridiculous attempts to drive them apart now that they had gotten together. Of course, the bickering behind the scenes didn't help as Bruce Willis' movie career was taking off and Cybil Shephard was more intrested in her family at this point.

But keeping leads apart and keeping the sexual tension up is still used as a driving force for several shows. Besides Castle, look at Bones and Chuck and Warehouse 13 and Psych. And getting characters you want together actually together as you said sometimes still works like Angel and Buffy. There's also the whole Ross and Rachel merry-go-round but Friends also produced an unlikely couple that actually helped ratings, Chandler and Monica, of course that may have had to do with how neurotic those two characters are. I think to an extent it depends on the show whether getting characters together will work or not. For certain shows, the sexual tension between the leads to an extent drives the show and getting rid of that will change the show's dynamic too much. And as someone else stated, it works on Bones, they've dragged out the whole Brennan/Booth relationship for 5 seasons now. Either Booth is in a relationship or Brennan has been or Brennan is too rational to look at Booth that way or etc. It took 3 seasons for a kiss, 4 seasons for a hallucination version of the two of them together, 5 seasons for Booth to even admit he has feelings for Brennan, the same for Brennan. The way those two are written neither one will act on their feelings, Brennan cause she's rationalized it all to death and Booth because there's no way he'll hurt her if anything goes wrong knowing her previous history.

On Castle, their banter and sexual tension also drive the show to an extent, so don't look for them to get together anytime soon. I've already read that Beckett will get a love interest I think for the final four episodes of this season and the character is another cop. So don't look for anything this season.

nolefan32

[16]Mar 24, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    I agree that they'll keep Beckett and Castle apart as long as possible but I don't think it's a jumping the shark moment when they do. Jumping the Shark was coined when it literally happened on Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark on water skies. It was such a nonsensical moment that it jarred you out of the show's reality.
    You are correct on where the phrase "jump the shark" originated from (Fonzie doing it literally on Happy Days), but you are incorrect on why it's entered the lexicon. Yeah, Fonzie jumping the shark on his motorcycle was a stupid stunt, but it's recognized as the moment that Happy Days was over, that the writers were out of ideas. Another classic shark jump is when the Bradys adopted Cousin Oliver because Cindy wasn't cute anymore (and as such, "Cousin Oliver" is a sub-genre of shark jumping, when a family show has been on so long that the cute kid isn't cute anymore, so another even younger cute kid has to be brought in to replace them).

You're welcome to learn all about shark jumping in the Wikipedia article on it. You'll note in the list of "common methods," two are "wedding" and "they did it", both dealing with destroying the sexual tension that was at the center of a show's success by letting the characters in question get together.

BarryWeen3

[17]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 14
    nolefan32 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    I agree that they'll keep Beckett and Castle apart as long as possible but I don't think it's a jumping the shark moment when they do. Jumping the Shark was coined when it literally happened on Happy Days when Fonzie jumped over a shark on water skies. It was such a nonsensical moment that it jarred you out of the show's reality.
    You are correct on where the phrase "jump the shark" originated from (Fonzie doing it literally on Happy Days), but you are incorrect on why it's entered the lexicon. Yeah, Fonzie jumping the shark on his motorcycle was a stupid stunt, but it's recognized as the moment that Happy Days was over, that the writers were out of ideas. Another classic shark jump is when the Bradys adopted Cousin Oliver because Cindy wasn't cute anymore (and as such, "Cousin Oliver" is a sub-genre of shark jumping, when a family show has been on so long that the cute kid isn't cute anymore, so another even younger cute kid has to be brought in to replace them).

You're welcome to learn all about shark jumping in the Wikipedia article on it. You'll note in the list of "common methods," two are "wedding" and "they did it", both dealing with destroying the sexual tension that was at the center of a show's success by letting the characters in question get together.

I still think that avoiding the destruction of sexual tension between leads when it's a part of a show's driving force is more of a fear of the Moonlighing Curse than a Jumping the Shark moment unless you consider the Moonlighting Curse a type of Jumping the Shark Moment.

nolefan32

[18]Mar 24, 2010
    BarryWeen3 wrote:
    nolefan32 wrote:
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

I still think that avoiding the destruction of sexual tension between leads when it's a part of a show's driving force is more of a fear of the Moonlighing Curse than a Jumping the Shark moment unless you consider the Moonlighting Curse a type of Jumping the Shark Moment.
    Basically, that's what it is. Again, note "they did it" and "wedding" are both shark jumping sub-categories, i.e., letting two leads whose sexual tension has driven the show finally get together consistently kills the show.

chrisj18

[19]Mar 24, 2010
    Ok,but just recently about 4 days ago you said they will be together as a couple in the last season of the show. Can you tell me what last season
    (the end of season 2 or season 3,or maybe season 4,it's not really me who wants to know its my bratty cousins Look at how many cousins i have on my story about me. Everytime me and my siblings and my cousins watch the show castle they keep saying don't beckett and castle make a real cute couple,and i say yes,yes,yes all time. But on monday night march 29th of the part 2 of tick,tick,tick, say again cousin chris doesn't beckett and castle, make a cute couple, they say that everytime when we all watch the on monday and now on saturday nights too. Actuall it even may be not just me writing to you and asking when are they gonna kiss ,or be acouple it can be them too. we share one computer/email and they alreay know i got on tv.comcastle website.... don't write to me no more about this....

chrisj18

[20]Mar 24, 2010

No,i don't want show off the air castle is my and my families favorite favoriteshow on abc,i just want all my family members that live with me and the ones that just come over my house to watch castle everytime to stop say do you think they make a real cute couple. yes i think they do but yet i would like them to stop asking me that,i might have to watch the show in my room by myse now....