Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

Unofficial Pilot Discussion Thread

miss_wierd

[21]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 13

Wow!!! What a great pilot! I love the premise of the show. The cop and the writer have great chemistry. I couldn't believe how he talks to his 15 year old daughter! ROFL! Would love to see the 2nd episode.

Edited on 03/10/2009 4:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cra2ywolf

[22]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 7
    Great pilot. Like how Castle's daughter seems more mature and responsible than him. Hopefully this isn't a "temporary" series and we get more than one season. I haven't forgotten about My Own Worst Enemy, Eli Stone and Life on Mars. Talking to you network execs.

Jemadari

[23]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 12
    I liked this alot more than I thought I would and i'm really glad they gave the teenager a personality instead of stereotyping her into a brat or nerd and I really loved the scene when the detective grabbed his nose and he starts saying apples

arter666

[24]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 11

I loved the pilot, better than I expected. Plus all the characters show promise, the mother, the daughter, the ex-wife, and the detective showed

more personality than some early reviews indicated. Fillon has a little of the playfull feel of Simon Baker of the Mentalist, except he is likely to be

wrong a lot of the time and the butt of some of the jokes. But he is fun to be with. I am going to watch this show.................

Edited on 03/10/2009 6:58pm

talieson

[25]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 7
    I LOVED it Nathan Fillion is charm personified and like so many others, I adore his daughter with him. I am already hooked and that never happens after only 1 episode !

lazyjay

[26]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 30
    I almost never tune into a show for the actors, I'm usually more inclined to follow the story tellers. I'm glad I didn't follow my usually pattern with this one. I tuned in (well, DVR'd) specifically because I heard an interview with Nathan Fillion in which he talked about the character and I knew it would be a perfect roll for him, and I was right. He pulled it off well. Even though the story was kind of predictable I still enjoyed it.

I loved the father/daughter relationship, but I found the mother more annoying than entertaining. I foresee a storyline soon about the daughter being the most responsible member of the family. I think Stana Katic is a capable actor who will grow into the Kate roll as both she and her character mature.

The show reminds me a bit of Moonlighting (uptight woman/roguish man solving crimes), but more grown up.

All in all, very fun. 8.5 / 10

Carolinapereira

[27]Mar 11, 2009
    • level: 9
    terrible... never gonna watch again.

tjaman

[28]Mar 11, 2009
    • level: 32
    lazyjay wrote:
    The show reminds me a bit of Moonlighting (uptight woman/roguish man solving crimes), but more grown up.

I noticed that too! In a review I wrote for the local paper, I said it wasn't "Remington Steele" or "Moonlighting" yet, but it had that potential. Good call!

tvlover15

[29]Mar 11, 2009
    • level: 8
    i absolutely loved it (: i really see it in the category of bones too and thats one reason i liked it, i think this show is gonna do great (:

welnoc

[30]Mar 11, 2009
    • level: 9

Not sold on it by any means.

If there's no growth to Castle in the next few episodes, he'll just be an irritating, egotisical jerk. I see enough of those in real life, I don't want to watch one on tv.

He was comletely insensitive to the fact that the murder victims were real people and that really bothered me.

The mom was annoying and the kid was interesting enough but I'm sick of the "responsible kid who takes care of his/her family." The ex-wife thing was needless.

The whole show was full of stereotypical tv characters.

kraylith

[31]Mar 12, 2009
    • level: 10
    Awesome pilot! ^^

Compared to another promising series, with a sort of connection to this one, Dollhouse, this pilot was much more promising and "eye-catching."

I would really have liked it if the copycat-arc was the main plot arc of the first season rather than just the first episode, but let's see where we go from here. Castle proved he's got a solid basis on the whole "understanding crime" etc. thing so he could still be useful to cases other than ones that copy murders from his books.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the daughter, usually I'm not a big fan of the child characters because they are often moody, annoying, uninteresting or whatever, but she actually seemed ok. The father-daughter chemistry worked great, the granny also fits Castle's character.

Really looking forward to next episode.

tjaman

[32]Mar 12, 2009
    • level: 32
    No one else was overwhelmed by a Mona/"Who's The Boss" vibe from Granny?

G-d, I'm old.

lazyjay

[33]Mar 12, 2009
    • level: 30
    tjaman wrote:

G-d, I'm old.

I knew there was something nagging in the back of my head! At first I was thinking Blanche from "The Golden Girls" but that wasn't quite right. Mona is exactly who she reminds me of.

BiniBeans

[34]Mar 12, 2009
    • level: 21
    That was fun. Predictable, yes, cliched, okay, yes but still fun. And nobody lays on the charm quite like Nathan Fillion does. Wish they had found a better counterpart for him though.

amaryllis88

[35]Mar 12, 2009
    • level: 20
    tjaman wrote:

G-d, I'm old.

Ya know, now that you mention it, I do get that vibe from her...and no you're not old, I remember watching Who's the Boss as a kid. I kind of agree with BiniBeans, that he had another leading female to work with him, although who that would've been, I'm not quite sure. Maybe Angie Harmon, on the now defunk "Women's Murder Club?"

SageNerdMe

[36]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 3

I watched this pilot on the original premiere date, but then lost track of the show. So, now that I'm rewatching it, I decided to make my first tv.com forum post about Castle.

First, let me start by saying that I was very intrigued by the concept of this show. Basically, writer takes a chance in killing of his main character, cash-cow, meal ticket, but then develops writer's block. Meets your stereotypical tv female detective and gets inspired to write again, but needs to join in all her reindeer games as part of "research" for his new book series. Brilliant in today's copycat world. And besides the concept, folks, it's Nathan Fillion! I mean, he's not the best tv actor ever, heck, he's not even my favorite. But he's a darn good one, and I've enjoyed everything I've seen him in (Firefly, Drive). If this show had been picked up by Fox, like the aforementioned duo were, I wouldn't have wasted my time because, no matter how good it was, Nathan Fillion isn't Kiefer Sutherland or Hugh Laurie, so he's doomed to a season or less.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this pilot. Fillion's trademark quick-wit and snappy banter made for a great tool in the pacing of the show, and the mother-daughter tandem is another unique twist for this show. Although I find Dharma's mother-in-law quite obnoxious, I'll deal with her for a few scenes here and there. And the daughter has the same sharp tongue and sensible head that it seems her father does, so I'm assuming it won't be long before she moves into a larger role in the series. Detective Beckett, as I said, seems to be the one copycat part of this show. She's got that same, chip-on-her-shoulder, no time for men, trying to make it with the big boys, comfy tagging along and doing all the paperwork, attitude as Detective Eames on L&O:CI. I love Eames, but Goren doesn't need her, and, based on the pilot, give Rick Castle a few lessons with a firearm and some law books to study, and he doesn't need Beckett.

I did, however, enjoy the rapport between Beckett and Castle. The difference between Criminal Intent's heroine and Castle's is simply this. Beckett commands attention from everyone around her. The other detectives listen and follow her orders/instincts/assumptions, and Rick, well...Castle will be Castle. Anyway, Beckett and Castle NOT ending up in the sack together by the end of the season would definitely be a departure from the norm.

Finally, I definitely enjoyed the ending of this episode. Before I sat down to watch it, I knew that Castle and Beckett ended up working together was a main point to the premise of the show. As the case is winding down, I'm wondering, 'why are Castle and Beckett saying goodbye to each other? how is this going to turn around?' And then BANG! The mayor calls and Castle is basically deputized. Great stuff!

Great start to a great series! Can't wait to see more!