Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCIn Season

What clues do we have so far regarding Kate Beckett's background story . . .

EOBB

[1]Apr 1, 2009
    • level: 6

What clues do we have so far regarding Det. Beckett's back story? .... 'cause you know she has to have a good one.

I don't have a DVR, and I have a terrible memory, so I'll let somebody else start us off.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sarastar43

[2]Apr 2, 2009
    • level: 11
    well, Castle did that bit in the first episode about her background story that seemd to hit a nerve, so it's probably true. He said she grew up in Manhattan and came from money, had a good education and lots of choices, but that something terrible happened to a loved one that was never solved, which is why she became a cop. And she said in Nanny McDead that she'd never been married and was a 'once and done' kind of girl when it came to marriage - from that I'm hypothesizing that the terrible thing happened to a fiancee or serious boyfriend.
    Oh, and she told Castle that she was lying to those kids about having gone to York, that she actually went to public school. Though, it could also be that she *did* go to York (which would make sense with the Manhattan money background) and was lying about having lied ^_^

That's all I can think of at the moment!

EOBB

[3]Apr 2, 2009

I was going to mention the 'once and done' thing regarding her view on marriage, but I couldn't remember the exact phrase she used.

That is actually what got me wondering what happened in her past to make her feel so strongly about her feelings on marriage now. Not that it's strange to feel that way, but I just think she placed a lot of emphasis on it, considering she hadn't know Castle very long, and they don't exactly chit chat about their personal lives....yet.

joey_kaiba1

[4]Apr 5, 2009
    • level: 1

This might be a spoiler, but

in the script for the pilot episode, Esposito tells Castle that Beckett's mother was murdered, and also that she's the youngest female detective in the squad.

waisal14

[5]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 10

In the previoius episode, we just learned Kate's dad is still alive and she is in communication with him. I would like to see the show bring her dad on the show to understand their relationship

We also learned, Kate's mothers murderer was never caught. I would like to see the show use this angle as a potential subplot mystery they will answer in this season or during the course of the series. They could take a couple of episodes and provide new clues to her mother's death along with the regular mysteries they solve or else devote an entire episode to her mom's murder mystery.

EOBB

[6]Apr 8, 2009
    waisal14 wrote:

In the previoius episode, we just learned Kate's dad is still alive and she is in communication with him. I would like to see the show bring her dad on the show to understand their relationship

We also learned, Kate's mothers murderer was never caught. I would like to see the show use this angle as a potential subplot mystery they will answer in this season or during the course of the series. They could take a couple of episodes and provide new clues to her mother's death along with the regular mysteries they solve or else devote an entire episode to her mom's murder mystery.

I would also be interested in learning more about Kate's father, and I'm guessing her mom's murder is going to end up being more than just a random act of gang violence.

Does anyone recall if they said when her mother was murdered? Was it recent, or was it when she was a child? I know she said her father took it hard and has been sober for 5 years, but I'm just curious when the murder took place.

Junest

[7]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 10

Well, I would guess that Kate would have been at least a child or teenager, since it would have affected her enough to make her want to be a cop.

Here is another thought of mine (all speculation on my part): Since her dad has only been sober for five years, it's likely that he was a drunk for at least part of her childhood. So when she saw Castle & his daughter playing laser tag, I feel like she was kind of surprised by how good of a relationship they had. And I think she kind admires Castle for it. ...Is this coming off a little Freudian (assuming that she does feel an attraction to him)? haha

Not to say that Kate & her father don't have a better relationship since he's been sober. But it might still be strained.

Dewbak75

[8]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 18

Junest wrote:

Well, I would guess that Kate would have been at least a child or teenager, since it would have affected her enough to make her want to be a cop.

Here is another thought of mine (all speculation on my part): Since her dad has only been sober for five years, it's likely that he was a drunk for at least part of her childhood. So when she saw Castle & his daughter playing laser tag, I feel like she was kind of surprised by how good of a relationship they had. And I think she kind admires Castle for it. ...Is this coming off a little Freudian (assuming that she does feel an attraction to him)? haha

Not to say that Kate & her father don't have a better relationship since he's been sober. But it might still be strained.

I don't think it necessarily means her relationship with her father is currently strained, I think it's just that the idea of Castle as a responsible and loving father doesn't fit with her general impression of him, and makes her look at him in a slightly different light. The first evidence of that was when they were talking about when Castle & Alexis used to go to the park every day.

EOBB

[9]Apr 23, 2009

I think they have been doing a wonderful job building the character of Kate Beckett. It seemed in the first few episodes, she was just the typical tough, independant cop stereotype. To steal her metaphor from episode 7, they have really been peeling back the layers of the Beckett onion. Yep, that still sounds as cheesy as it did when she said it.

I had never heard of Nathan Fillion before this show, but I know a lot of people started watching this show because he was in it. Most of the early posts were focused on him....he's so funny, he's so hot, etc. There were comments that she was boring and didn't fit the part.

While I do agree that he is funny, and he has a certain sexiness to him, my favorite parts of the show now are when he plays off her. Some of his looks and facial expressions say so much when he is listening to her, or watching her. Some examples are when she was telling him about her mom's murder, and when she was talking to the daughter of one of the victims. He didn't have to say anything, but his presence definitely added to the scenes.

I also like how she responds to his flirty comments, and has started to give back equally. The exchange at the gun range was a classic ('...we can just cuddle' ) , and the first time it really seemed like she was becoming more comfortable with him. His sense of humor seems to be rubbing off on her.

My last thought is about her interaction with the Castle family. They seem to be accepting her into their family. Alexis is definitely onto them, and Martha seems really excited to see Kate whenever she drops by. It was really cute when Martha put her necklace on Kate. My mind immediately connected it to the necklace she wears with her mom's ring on it. That's what makes me wonder if she and Martha are going to develop a special relationship, kind of like a surrogate mother/daughter.

EOBB

[10]Apr 28, 2009
    Has everyone seen this description for the last episode of the season?

"Castle and Beckett investigate the murder of a plastic surgeon. Meanwhile, Alexis has her first prom and Castle snoops around Beckett's past and it's up for a surprise."

Very interesting. I wonder what the surprise will be...

TesserT

[11]May 4, 2009
    • level: 74
    Tonight we learned that she stood in line for an hour to get one of Castle's books signed & his books got her thru her mother's murder. She even has an account on his fan site. As her former boyfriend Will asked her, "Does he know she's Castle's #1 fan?" Her reply of course was "no & he never will".

EOBB

[12]May 5, 2009

Can we also assume that she was already on the police force, and involved with Agent Sorenson when her mother was murdered? Because Sorenson knew that Castle's books helped her get through her mother's murder. If so, then their relationship would have had to take place 5 ++ years ago, depending on how long her father was drinking after the murder.

The summary for next weeks episode says '...Castle snoops around Beckett's past and is up for a surprise.' I also noticed in the guest star credits, that Sorenson is back next week for the finale. I'm thinking that Sorenson may have been involved in Kate's mother's murder.

...or they have a child that Kate has been hiding.... I don't have any real basis for this, except I like drama, and Kate was really cute with that little girl last night...and she has gummy bears.

sarastar43

[13]May 5, 2009
    I'm not sure we should assume that she was dating Agent Sorenson when her mother was killed. First of all, because her mother's murder was one of the reasons behind her becoming a cop, right? So she wouldn't have already been on the police force when it happened. Also I didn't get the impression that it had been *that* long since they broke up - maybe 2 years, but not the 5++ that her mother's been dead. So she probably just told him about how Castle's books got her through her mothers death, not that he actually knew her then.

EOBB

[14]May 6, 2009

Did she ever really say her mother's murder is why she became a cop? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just don't remember. Could she have already been a cop, and the murder made her focus on the more difficult homicide cases?

I agree with you, I didn't get the vibe that it had been several years since they were together. A year or two seems more logical. Maybe we'll find out next week.

sarastar43

[15]May 6, 2009
    ummm yeah, now that I think about it I don't think *she* said that her mother's murder is why she became a cop. It was Castle's "story" that something bad happened to someone she loved and the guy was never caught and that's why she became a cop. And it seems like that story is pretty much true, so far, so I'm assuming that her mother's murder was why she became a cop.

EOBB

[16]May 12, 2009

So now we know that...

Kate's mother's murder took place 10 years ago.

Her mother was the victim of either a serial killer, or she was somehow connected to the other victims.

Her father drank for 5 years after the murder, and has been sober 5 years.

Kate worked on her mother's case for 3 years with no results, and was in therapy for a year to distance herself from it.

She was in a relationship with FBI agent, Will Sorenson, for 6 months, but we don't know how serious it was, or how long ago it took place.

She is possibly one of Castle's biggest fans, belonging to his fan club, and waiting in line for an autograph.

... anything else? Please correct me if I got something wrong.

TesserT

[17]Sep 22, 2009
    She speaks Russian. She spent a semester in Kiev between her junior & senior years in college. When she's bored she goes to Glachi Cafe in Little Odessa (Brighton Beach) and pretends to be Moscovite (native or resident of Moscow).

EOBB

[18]Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks for that. I missed that bit of dialogue when I was watching.

Does anyone remember the description of the three other murder victims (besides Beckett's mom) that Castle gave Lanie? I missed that also.

TesserT

[19]Sep 22, 2009
    EOBB wrote:
    Does anyone remember the description of the three other murder victims (besides Beckett's mom) that Castle gave Lanie? I missed that also.
    Castle said:
    1. a former law student of hers (I'm assuming "hers" means her mother)
    2. a documents clerk
    3. a lawyer for a non-profit

EOBB

[20]Sep 22, 2009
    TesserT wrote:
    EOBB wrote:
    Castle said:
    1. a former law student of hers (I'm assuming "hers" means her mother)
    2. a documents clerk
    3. a lawyer for a non-profit

Thanks! That's exactly what I was wondering. I thought I heard "hers", relating the first victim to her mother, but I didn't catch what he said about the other two. Are we to assume that Beckett's mom was a lawyer, or maybe a professor? If so, she could have links to the other two victims as well. Interesting...