Castle Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on ABCBetween Seasons

Would you really want Castle and Kate to be couple?

uk18flashback

[1]May 14, 2010
    • level: 4

Honestly would you? Many of you probably do but would it change the show for better or worse?

Would ratings suffer, would you stop watching as that is what you are waiting for or would you be like me and watch regardless?

Please discuss.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Jacks_Son

[2]May 14, 2010
    • level: 13

uk18flashback wrote:

Honestly would you? Many of you probably do but would it change the show for better or worse?

Would ratings suffer, would you stop watching as that is what you are waiting for or would you be like me and watch regardless?

Please discuss.

The old adage that the angst of UST is better for the show and the fans may no longer be true. On "Chuck", Chuck and Sarah went through that relationship spiral for two years, and finally the writers decided to go for it and make Chuck and Sarah officially a couple and the fans loved it. The writers have decided to make the couple work without the angst and it has made the show better. Why not do the same thing on "Castle"?

sandbur

[3]May 14, 2010
    • level: 25

Eventually. As long as the writing stays strong it might work for a season or two, because the chemistry is there. Meantime I'm enjoying the Demming ride...

BarryWeen3

[4]May 15, 2010
    • level: 14
    The reason why, IMO, that writers keep couples apart is the whole fear of Moonlighting. I, on the other hand, think that if the writers are good enough there isn't any reason why getting leads together and losing the romantic tension is a bad thing.

But there's a tendency not to do that. Start with Moonlighting, the leads got together, show tanked, though I think in the case of Moonlighting there were other factors at work. Remington Steele, the leads didn't get together till the show ended. For five seasons now, they've kept Booth and Brennan apart. There may be other examples but I can't think of them at the moment. I guess the other route you can go is what happened on Friends, where you had Ross and Rachel apart, then together, then apart, then together at the end. You also had Chandler and Monica who stayed together once they got together, so there's a show where they went both ways with the storylines, but that was an ensemble show, so it's not exactly the same.

Someone mentioned them getting Chuck and Sara together on Chuck, but if you think about it, that's also a special case because the third season was initially only going to be 13 episodes and they also didn't think it likely they would be renewed for a fourth season. So the episode where Chuck and Sara end up together was written initially as a series ender as it was the 13th episode this season. Then they got the news that NBC ordered 6 more episodes for this season, then they got renewed. So they're together for now, whether they stay that way is another matter. If the writers keep the couple together and the stories are still entertaining then they can prove the "Moonlighting curse" as a myth.

I think it's possible but I just can't remember a show that's done it in recent history, there may be one, but nothing's coming to mind.

Starprincess13

[5]May 15, 2010
    • level: 24

uk18flashback wrote:

Honestly would you?

Do I? I guess I want them together eventually but not now. Even if they never get together though, I wouldn't be horribly disappointed because while I like them as a couple, I'm not a die hard shipper of the two. For some reason, I don't like them as much as some of my other couples on my other shows.

uk18flashback wrote:

Many of you probably do but would it change the show for better or worse?

It solely depends on what the writers do. If they step it up with the writing, than it would be better. If they got them together but slacked off in the writing department, than it would be worse.

uk18flashback wrote:

Would ratings suffer,

Basically what BarryWeen3 said. It depends on if the Moonlighting curse exists and if the number of viewers who would stop watching if they got together is greater than the people who would continue to watch.

uk18flashback wrote:

would you stop watching as that is what you are waiting for or would you be like me and watch regardless?

Relating to what I said before about the writing, I would continue to watch if the show stayed good. If they got together but the show started to get really bad (bad writing, no originality, mediocre acting, etc) than I would stop. I don't watch Castle for the Castle/Beckett relationship only.

addy91

[6]May 16, 2010
    • level: 2

I agree withStarprincess13

I hate the idea of getting them together in the last episode but so far I'm really enjoying their stolen looks, comments, etc. Even Beckett's denial Also I am a HUGE Moonlighting fan and there was so many other factors that contributed to the shows end (Cybill's pregnacy, Bruce's desire to pursue a movie career, writer's strike, etc,etc) but I think that there's always a group of people who'll watch the show just to see the couple get together (especially shows with the 'will they, won't they' dynamic).

I won't stop watching the show when they get together if the level of writing doesn't drop. Still, I believe in the writers so I'm sure that when they'll eventually get together it'll be a chance for some new, great storylines not just seeing C/B all lovey-dovey on screen. Let's not forget that it's also a cop show

Edited on 05/16/2010 4:40am

Meaghanlr92

[7]May 16, 2010
    I don't know, part of me does want them to get together, but if it happens tomorrow night, that would be too soon. If it started getting closer to it next season, that would be better.

uk18flashback

[8]May 16, 2010

Great comments so far and I agree with you about the writing (if the writings great why not?) and yes it is a cop show so if the writers could keep a balance of the crimes storiesand the relationship between the characters then why couldn't they do it.

David8601

[9]May 17, 2010
    • level: 3
    Yes but not now. You can ditch Demming though if I wanted to watch days of our lives, well I'd watch it. The characters have great interaction but since Demming arrived on scene a serious nosedive.
    Meantime they C/B can admit feelings for each other but there's no iron clad rule that says they have to act on it now. I would imagine there's a lot more things that they can write about for S3.
    I'd like to see Castle get shot in the vest or nicked on the arm nothing life threatening, bring those pithy comments of his to a sharp close for about 90 seconds lol

BarryWeen3

[10]May 17, 2010
    David8601 wrote:
    Yes but not now. You can ditch Demming though if I wanted to watch days of our lives, well I'd watch it. The characters have great interaction but since Demming arrived on scene a serious nosedive.
    Meantime they C/B can admit feelings for each other but there's no iron clad rule that says they have to act on it now. I would imagine there's a lot more things that they can write about for S3.
    I'd like to see Castle get shot in the vest or nicked on the arm nothing life threatening, bring those pithy comments of his to a sharp close for about 90 seconds lol

Or maybe he could channel his inner Malcom Reynolds and have the following conversation with Beckett:

B: "Are you in pain?"
    C: "Absolutely! I got shot, you know. Right here, in my arm."
    B: "I know, I was there."
    C: "Don't much care for it."
    B: "It wasn't a total disaster. We caught the guy."
    C: "I got shot! Right here!"

Paraphrased conversation from Shindig (Firefly).

David8601

[11]May 17, 2010
    • level: 3
    I was thinking it'd be more like
    B: " IF you go through enough doors your going to get shot sometime Castle",, lol,,, A variation on when C got bit on the ass by the dog.
    But one thing I would like to see B/C do and that is have a kiss, not just any kiss but a deep, tongue twisting, spit swapping madly passionate kiss. That would keep me happy for half a season

XtahBX

[12]May 17, 2010

I just hate it when the couple knows that they like each other and still keep them apart, for instance, in the second season of chuck and now on bones. It just gets really awkward to watch. Before was great because they had the tension, but now because the writers are scared I'm afraid that it will turn into an awkward situation. I really hate awkward on tv, it's not funny at all.

sherv22

[13]May 17, 2010

I'm sure the answer is... eventually. A lot of the formula for this kind of show is the courtship. If there's no setbacks where both sides are thwarted, no one appreciates a hookup when it finally happens. Once the ball starts rolling and both sides know they want each other, though, the clock starts ticking, and watchers are less and less inclined to accept roadblocks. I'm sorta surprised the writers started the clock so soon, myself; I was sure Kate wasn't going to hit her epiphany until next season, but now the game is definitely on.

nolefan32

[14]May 17, 2010
    • level: 11

sherv22 wrote:

I'm sure the answer is... eventually. A lot of the formula for this kind of show is the courtship. If there's no setbacks where both sides are thwarted, no one appreciates a hookup when it finally happens. Once the ball starts rolling and both sides know they want each other, though, the clock starts ticking, and watchers are less and less inclined to accept roadblocks. I'm sorta surprised the writers started the clock so soon, myself; I was sure Kate wasn't going to hit her epiphany until next season, but now the game is definitely on.

This is where I'm at, as well - surprised that the writers let Kate have her epiphany so soon. It's so Ross and Rachel, and it's setting up for a very early shark jump for this show, if you ask me. Now it has to go one of three ways - (1) Castle and Beckett get together, kill the UST and kill the show; (2) Castle and Beckett keep getting roadblocks, the fans get frustrated, and the show dies anyway; or (3) we get one big overarching thing, like a case that demands their full focus for a whole season or more, so that Castle and Beckett have something to distract them from each other for an extended period, and since it's not a push-pull thing, the fans aren't as likely to get frustrated. Number 3 is obviously what I think the best option is, though I'm concerned that the writers just aren't good enough to pull this off - except for the stellar Tick, Tick/Boom, the writing has been really cliche-ridden (like the Ross and Rachel season finale, for example). But then again, maybe they'll surprise me - they did pull it off with Tick, Tick/Boom, so maybe there's hope.

BarryWeen3

[15]May 18, 2010
    nolefan32 wrote:

sherv22 wrote:

This is where I'm at, as well - surprised that the writers let Kate have her epiphany so soon. It's so Ross and Rachel, and it's setting up for a very early shark jump for this show, if you ask me. Now it has to go one of three ways - (1) Castle and Beckett get together, kill the UST and kill the show; (2) Castle and Beckett keep getting roadblocks, the fans get frustrated, and the show dies anyway; or (3) we get one big overarching thing, like a case that demands their full focus for a whole season or more, so that Castle and Beckett have something to distract them from each other for an extended period, and since it's not a push-pull thing, the fans aren't as likely to get frustrated. Number 3 is obviously what I think the best option is, though I'm concerned that the writers just aren't good enough to pull this off - except for the stellar Tick, Tick/Boom, the writing has been really cliche-ridden (like the Ross and Rachel season finale, for example). But then again, maybe they'll surprise me - they did pull it off with Tick, Tick/Boom, so maybe there's hope.

That is so the apt analogy. I just finished the episode a while ago and the first thing I thought of was Ross and Rachel. And why not, they've been borrowing from Bones, why not Friends also...

So if Gina is Julie, does that make Demming Paolo?

And to take this further, Beckett is Rachel, Castle is Ross, Esposito and Ryan are Chandler and Joey, which is which I don't know, hmmm...and what about Lanie, is she more like Monica or Phoebe?

gmx13

[16]May 18, 2010
    • level: 7
    The flirting and back and forth is fun for a little while but I like it when the main characters don't hook up.

Time and time again shows have turned for the worse when the mains become a couple.

magellan1958

[17]May 18, 2010
    • level: 2

within the time... yes! but i suppose they should be close in all mind...like flirting and sometimes dating would be a better motiv for the show!

scottd2242

[18]May 18, 2010

At some point. What I really want is a season 3 hook up. Something to take the U out of URST.

saucelover

[19]May 18, 2010
    • level: 1

1) Great cop storyplots etc.

2) Bonus features: castle and beckett possible romance.

Woots!! xD hahaha.

Jacks_Son

[20]May 18, 2010
    • level: 13

The writers set the stage for them to be a couple eventually. UST is fine for a little while, but after years of flirting and significant glances, two normal people would get together. It's unnatural not to! Any writers worth their salt should be able to make it work. It worked on "Farscape" and "Babylon 5".