Castle

Kill Shot

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 21, 2011 on ABC

• Kill Shot! This is my first ever online review of ANYTHING and I expect to be Royally flamed for quite a lot of it. I'm a fan of various American shows (I'm Scots, by the way), including House, The Mentalist, Fringe, Big Bang Theory and of course, Castle.

***Minor spoilers within!***

What can I say about this episode (Kill Shot) that won't get me immediately banned from tv.com?

This episode got so much on my Threepennies that I joined tv.com for no other reason than to review it and given some of the reviews that have already been posted, I expect some pretty severe derision, at the very least for this review.

I should say, first, that of all the American shows on British TV at present, Castle is by far and away my favourite and has been for the last 3 1/2 years.

However, after one of the best episodes of anything I've seen for some time, namely "Cops and Robbers", we have had a complete waste of a week in "Heartbreak Hotel" and an apology for a Castle episode this week.

You might be wondering why, if I disliked the episode so much, that I've given it a reasonable rating, so here's the explanation.

Had I NEVER seen a Castle episode before Kill Shot, I would have found this a pretty enjoyable and entertaining piece of escapist TV but I have, hence the diatribe.

Where, in the name of God was Castle?

He should have been posted AWOL in this episode, as he contributed next to nothing in it. He was almost invisible throughout. Where was his usual insight, the off the wall theories even his banter with Beckett was all but non-existent. When it came to revealing the clue from the paper cut outs, it was Alexis that basically solved it, not Castle, so he can't even get the credit for that.

As for him hanging back when Beckett was obviously distraught, puleeease! This man has not hesitated in the past to get right in Becketts face and ask what was going on.

After the 3rd shooting, when Beckett runs away after talking to the girl on the gurney, in previous seasons Castle would have been after her like a dog after a rabbit. He certainly wouldn't have stood there looking like a wet weekend. Apart from anything else, it is inconceivable that after the look Beckett gave Castle in the bank in "Cops and Robbers", she wouldn't look to Castle to comfort her in her hour of need.

As for Beckett, I will absolutely agree with previous posters that Stana Katic is a superb actress but have the writers gone missing?

Do they not look at previous episodes and see how she has handled previous conflict and grief?

PTSD??? Don't make me laugh!

This hard bitten Police Detective has seen blood and gore, semi dismembered bodies, attended autopsies, been blown up, faced potential nuclear explosion and been shot at plenty of times and while I'll happily admit that actually being the victim is a whole other ball of wax, she shot and killed a man in the precinct and went for a cup of coffee later as if nothing happened. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Police Officers get councelling after shooting someone?

As for Esposito showing her the rifle that shot her and "convincing" her that it was just a tool. if a Police Detective doesn't already know that, then she's in the wrong job.

Sorry people but this episode irritated me so much that I'm still fizzing after a couple of days.

Loved the episode, loved the acting but hated the "Castle".

And on another subject, could someone take Ms. Katic aside and ask her to eat something!

She is positively stick thin compared to how she looked in seasons1 & 2.

P.S. if anyone wonders about the Threepennies reference at the start, I suggest Googling for Cockney rhyming slang.

MNT