Castle

Knockout

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 16, 2011 on ABC

• Knockout

Max Martini did another great job as Lockwood here tonight and I would say that it even borders on Emmy-worthy, although I doubt the Academy will give this show any recognition ever.

The episode was good, definitely one of the season's best, but I still think this show struggles to deliver that blowaway episode. There really has never been a Castle that has shocked me and really had me go "wow." Killing off the annoying Captain did not do it for me, although that was a welcome event.

The show is coming back and while I expect Castle and Beckett to get closer next season, I don't expect them to start a relationship now, or possibly ever. Nice little moment with them after the shot I guess though.
  • "Castle" sure knows how to leave you on a cliffhanger.

One thing is sure about the season three finale of "Castle" … they sure know how to leave you hanging on the edge of your seat all summer with a fantastic cliffhanger.

A lot of TV watchers don't like cliffhangers, in fact some absolute hate them … not me. Cliffhangers make for amazing endings and they do what they're intended to do, bring you back in the fall.

As any fan of "Castle" knows the ABC drama has been following the storyline of New York detective Kate Beckett (played by Stana Katic) trying to figure out who murdered her mother when she was a kid. This episode goes a long way in telling us the viewer how this happened. Prior to this episode we knew that there were three cops involved in a murder that eventually led to the murder of Beckett's mom. We knew who two of the three cops were, but there was a mystery cop. This is where one of the big shockers from the finale comes into play. The third cop was … wait for it … Captain Montgomery (played by Ruben Santiago-Hudson), Beckett's boss and friend. In the end, Capt. Montgomery has two choices he can either lead Beckett into a trap to be killed by hitman, because she's getting too close to finding out the truth, or he can sacrifice himself to save her life. In the end, he sacrifices his life. Beckett tries to stop him, but Montgomery makes sure that writer (and show's namesake) Richard Castle (played by Nathan Fillion) is there to whisk her away from the danger.

If the loss of one of the show's main characters wasn't enough for the finale, there was another shocker in store at the finale's end when while giving the eulogy at Capt. Montgomery's funeral, Beckett is shot by a sniper and lies bleeding (dying?) in Castle's arms … as he finally tells her that he loves her.

Well, fans, we know that the show isn't killing Beckett off … hell, at times this season it almost seemed like the show should be named "Beckett," or at least "Castle & Beckett," instead of "Castle" because it almost starred Katic so much. It'll be interesting in season four to see how the continuing relationship between Castle and Beckett matures and to see where the storyline goes with the murder of Beckett's mom.
  • An outstanding finale that ups the level of story telling for cop dramas.

By the very first second the finale of Castle pulls you along a dramatic scenario that keeps on making terrific turns. The case of Beckett's mother is strong and complicated enough to keep your attention but simple and suffice enough to complete within an hour. The portrayal of the bad guy is done fantastic and as the episode progresses you fear for Beckett's life. A fear that turns out to be just.
    The shocking, integral twists make the story far better. The relationship of the two leads plays well on the background and compliments the bigger story instead of distracting from it. All-in all the episode is very well set up, told and executed. An hour of great drama, sensation and intrigue that captivates you and surprises you.
    Very well done.
  • Pretty good. Spoilers Ahead.

It was GOOD...there was one thing I hate it...but the rest it was GOOD.

I knew Montgomery was going to bite the dust!. Or at least leave the show...he was getting more screentime in the last few episodes...it was fairly obvious he was going to left the show.

From the beggining of the episode I knew Montgomery was the third cop...there was a shot done by the director, when everybody was talking in front of the blackboard, the director leave the entire team in the background and did a closeup of Montgomery...Never the show did that...so It has to mean something, and they were talking about the third cop, and you could see right into Montgomery eyes...he WAS the third cop.
    So, the revelation later on the episode didn't surprise me, but the teams reaction were awesome. And he shooting everybody was awesome too. RIP Montgomery.

The one thing I just hated it...was the Cliffhanger. I mean, come on!. Getting the main star get shot or almost blown up ( tick tick tick and the second part ) it's not a cliffhanger at all. Yes, you are thinking "How will she survive?" at least in tick tick tick...but in here getting shot as a cliffhanger was awful...BUT, it WAS NECESSARY for the show. Castle finally open his hearth to Beckett...it only took a bullet in the chest, but confesed his love for her. And we know Becketts feelings for Castle...and her relationship with Motorcicle Doctor is not going well, and she'll break up with him for sure, so I guess they will get together next season. I hope the writters can write the relationship in a way they don't ruin Castle and Beckett's dinamyc. If they change the way C & B work together the show might die and that would be bad =(.

Writting this I realized that the cliffhanger wasn't Beckett getting shot, It was Castle and Beckett love for eachother and how will it develop...if they're going out in the future or what...or if she even heard him. THat was the cliffhanger. But it would have been nice if somebody else was shot too...I mean Beckett won't die, but Ryan or Esposito might...or someone close to Castle.

OK...if Alexis leaves the show or isn't as much as before I will be pissed.

With Montgomery out ( RIP ), who will be the next Captain?. Nobody of the regulars...the only one that can be Captain is Beckett, but that isn't fun. All I know, whoever the next Captain is I don't think it will be as good to Castle as Montgomery was...so there could be trouble in the future.

I don't know what the hell im saying anymore...it was a good finale.
  • WHAT!?! Holy Bat Masters, Batman! Epic Episode.

What an episode! Everything goes down. I've been impressed. For so long Castle has stayed inside the box (Murder, Red Herring, Red Herring, Killer, solved) Granted, it was always so funny and enjoyable how they got from the beginning of an episode to the end, that it was worth the trip. But when they go outside the box, they DO NOT fool around! And those episodes are fantastic. I hope they learn from this that it's very O.K. to go outside the box more often.
    The worst thing is now I've got to wait till next season for this to resolve. FOUL! That is completely unfair. I'm calling my congressman.
  • Breakdown

This has to be the darkest episode and season finale of the show. It really took an unfun turn, there really wasn't much or any comidy but mainly drama and that's what I like about this episode.

Kate we see as she is focused on the case, she is breaking down psychologically. She is aliennating her friends and isolating herself but worst of all is getting too close to the truth which could get her killed. In a way she's kinda falling into a classic trap most detective tend to suffer and that is simply staring into the abyss too long. Kate as she is obsessing over the case, her personal life and persona suffers.

Even though Kate is the main character of the story I also thought both Castle and Mongomery were as well. Mongomery I really liked the charcter, I always thought of him as sort of the mentor of the group. That twist on his character really made me sad, he should of attoned for his sin sooner but the tragidy is it's too late. And of course we see him take his final stand and personally I felt he died not just as a hero but a man of honor.

Castle as usual is great he had some of the best scenes in the show. Two moments I liked were when he was talking with Kate's dad and his mom. Both of them clearly know Castle's is right for her, Castle's mom says one of my favorate quotes in the episode "In the final scene don't waste a minute." she's right it's time for Castle to come out with it.

There of course is this heated arguement scene with Kate. And I highly agree with Castle, it's true Kate is good but she's not that good, her combat skills are not on the same level as these Hitmen whom are really really bad news, they hardly miss and make mistakes, let alone she's outnumbered; one person can win a battle but it takes an army to win a war. I'll admit some of the things Kate said made me mad at her and I was thinking "What the frak are you talking about, if he wasn't around you'd be dead." What Castle says at the end was I felt one of the pivotal moments because what he said was the honest truth and really shows that he really does know her, even when Kate kicks him out she knows what he said is the truth, she owes it to herself to be happy why continue to be miserable.

And the ending I'll admit is heart wrenching, when we see that moment when Kate get's shot and Castle is a split second too late to save her. And when Castle says, "I love you." to Kate it was both profound but heartbreaking.

At this point I'm not really sure of anything. I'm not exactly sure how the next season would go, if Kate really does die (god forbid she does) that would make the show take a more dark turn sort of a revenge thriller for Castle. But if Kate does live then either both will hook up at the end of that season or they hook up indefinately, personally I want number 2 to happen and it's about time it's been about 4 years now; it would be sweet and funny to see Kate and Castle have some misadventures with their romance, I can see them both making out in the evidence locker in the precent without anyone knowing. Kate's case will defenantly be a big part of that season, near the end Mongomery even though he didn't reveal the mastermind (and for good reason) he did but some files in an envelope and was sending it either to Kate or Castle as a few more clues to get them near the truth. There will probably be a new chief, I'm just hoping it won't be some cleche butthead (why can't they get someone nice for a change.). This is all theory and I hope to be either proven right or wrong, well till next season.
  • A great finale this is getting serious people and i like it!

This show is getting more and more serious,and it is developing as good as it can from at first side crime- comedy-thriller to more and more real serious drama, ok maybe im over my head but i love this show and this finale is maybe the best finale among many this season, a great teaser for the next season i hope!
    I am not afraid of Kate gonna die i am sensing a much serious story ahead and a little of old atmosphere but more stark and darker scented adventure,and if C. and K. get hooked up in next season i hope they want make this into some smoochy puppy love comedy i sure hope so.
  • :O

Oh. My. God.......as an episode I thought it was good, everything seemed a bit ahhh I don't know...to in shock? Not freaking out enough. Eh, I loved it hoped there was going to be more to the 'fight' but still. So called the 3rd cop as soon as they said it, which made me sad. They worked it in well I s'pose, but to have to hide all that? Wow. Also wow...this episode is the reason I won't be watching finale's until the hour before it starts again in September. I mean that in a good way, actually can't wait for Season 4. As much as people (including me) hope the show doesn't go the way of Bones (wait a tick...they are!!! They already pulled this! *grumble*) I hope they do follow it in this regard. In the sense that all isn't as it seems. ....although really what else could they do? Here's waiting 'till September, damn cliffhangers, as if I wasn't going to tune back in or something.
  • Brilliant, or predictable? You decide.

With a show like Castle, there's bound to be predictable episodes and scenarios. I've been known to call out who the killer was as soon as he/she is met and usually, this can continue forever without the viewers getting fed up with it. But every once in a while the writers give us an episode that pushes the over all show forward and I wish it wasn't just with the finales. There was a lot to love with this finale and while the revelation of who the man behind the curtain was, was in the back of my mind, I wasn't disappointed with the outcome. There was also a lot that this episode had that others did not, like the immense amount of character development within. We all know Kate and Rick need to shut up and get together and that bit seemed to move along quite well. Overall I enjoyed this finale, but I walk away with a lot on my mind for the next season. With the big moment at the end it seems like the show can go one of only two ways from here and will ultimately be a cop-out, or a game changer. I'm not sure which one I'll be more disappointed with nor which one I would prefer to happen, but we'll have to wait and see.
  • OMG! Way to end on a Cliff Hanger !

The episode was amazing up until the final moment.
    I was inches away from my television set waiting for Castle to just suck it up and say he loved Becket. But Nooooo! he had to wait till she got shot, and now its to late, shes either going to live and not remember a thing, or die and it won't matter.

And might i add...Nice Job Writers, you gave 90% of the Castle fans a heart attack with that ending. Now we all have to wait till the Fall to find out if she lives or not!!! Are You Kidding Me! :O

You can't kill her off that's like Killing Batman and leaving Robin behind to try and save the day... it just don't work.
    And Don't even think about bringing in another female love interest for Castle to get over Becket with, because you will have a Mob of angry fans showing up on your door steps.

Anyways, over all excellent finale, lets just hope they pull off as good an opening episode for Season Four.
  • OMG...*spoilers*

I started watching with yay, another episode of Castle, sadly the last of the season. Let's see what they did.

Somewhere in this episode my mouth fell open in shock and never closed again. I already started to love the episode at the scene where Castle shows his graphic novel and the scene in the courtroom.

Then Kate and Rick fight and he starts over their kiss and the freezer: amazing!

Cpt. Montgomery being to third cop was a total surprise. I knew someone was going to die and I kind of knew that that person would be Roy. But I never expected him to die this way! And Castle who dragged Beckett away from the scene where Roy was waiting for Lockwood to arrive and how she just broke down: amazing! I thought it would finish there but they showed the funeral. That was so sad.

But then Beckett got shot! I really didn't saw that coming! That was amazing!

Now we have to wait a whole summer to see what happens! A very very long summer!
  • What a finale!

As with every cop show, it's difficult to avoid some stock standard, formulaic episodes and Castle does indeed have a few duds. But lucky for us, this season 3 finale is not one of them.

This episode made a huge leap forward in the story arc, and a phenomenal growth in character development, made all the more incredible with an emotionally charged performance from the actors.
    I was particularly impressed with Huertas and Dever (Esposito and Ryan), who brought a new depth to their characters near the end of the episode, and Santiago-Hudson's (Montgomery) performance was truly heartbreaking. Plot-wise, Knockout went the extra mile, although with the various hiatus' I had difficulty recalling old episodes and slipping straight into the story. The writers have heaped a lot on to us in this episode, and just when you thought it might be winding down they throw out the final scene, leaving a plethora of questions, including Beckett and Castle, the Precinct and of course Beckett's mother's case.

Anyway, a fantastic end the season and I'm sure the wait will be worth it when season 4 begins. I'm off to ponder issues this episode has raised with me: morals, mistakes and redemption.
  • What an Episode.. WOW. i was taken by surprise.. I felt sad about Mongomery.. and of course the Sad part is Kate being shot.

I hate to see Kate being Shot. I wish she wont die. Am desperately waiting 4season4.I think now the things will be better between Rick&Kate in season4. Rick waited for Kate to be shot to tell her that he loved her.And Kate being soo stubborn to admit that she too loves him. Well i have to wait now to see what happens.This shows never gets aired at the same time as it does in US. I will be waiting desperately waiting to see episodes. GOD i saw that it will be aired in September. ITs TOO LONG a WAIT 4months:(
  • Wow what a finale!

This might be my shortest review ever...no words can really describe this. The ending, such a great cliffhanger for the beginning of season 4. I mean I know she isn't going to die, but what is she going to remember? Is she going to be paralyzed? What is season 4 going to be like without Captain Montgomery? Whose final scene by the way was stellar, even though he made mistakes, he truly died a hero. Great writing, good work in identifying the whole drama between what Castle and Beckett are, even though it was solved by the end. I just don't want to wait until fall to see what happens.
  • One word... EPIC!!! *WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*

Season 3 concluded with, in my opinion, one of Castle's best episodes yet. This episode is a total game changer, it was intense and fast paced and boy, did it deliver. *SPOILER* The scene where Captain Montgomery dies and Beckett runs to him is heartbreaking. He was such a great part of the cast, he would truly be missed next season. Kate also gets shot, not to worry though, they obviously won't be writing her off the show but that leads to the best scene of the night. Castle finally tells Beckett how he truly feels about her (Will be waiting for the fanvids on YouTube). Hopefully when the show comes back in the fall, something will actually happen between the two. I just hope they do it carefully and thoughtfully and not jump the gun ala Moonlighting. Will be counting the days until Season 4's premiere and so should you.
  • Knockout.. Truly amazing!!

I can't believe for one they killed off Montgomery but secondly it think the writers took the meaning of 'cliffhanger' way too far.. It appears as if Beckett dies, but surely they can't kill off a main character, but we will never know! Until next season but that's going to be a while.. Pray that Beckett survives, especially since Castle expresses his love to her :') And just a question or 10.. who shot Beckett? Was there another missing person related to the case? Maybes it was that ex-cop now barman (I forget his name)? I hope to god that the next season is soon, I can't stand the wait!!
  • Another step to solving the murder of Becketts mom

At least, if I understand it right. Besides the dead hitman, the 2 cops and captain Montgomory there is another guy who knows about everything and blackmailed the crooked cops.

Is this right????? I am really looking forward to see who that person is, but even looking more forward to see how it ends with Beckett.

We have to wait, although I don't think they kill of Beckett. I know she has a very big and important role, but lets be honest, its not the Title role. So they would be able to write her off, although it is a big guess.
  • Yowzers!

An amazing episode. In the teasers, when Ryan said that "he'd been lying to us all along", you of course couldn't see who he was talking to, but it obviously wasn't Castle! Which left Montgomery or Esposito.
    I will personally miss the captain: at the precinct, or Castle's poker nights. The final scene with Montgomery was exquisite with the lighting being exactly right--black, blue, white, shades of gray, but NO warm colors. The shadowing, the whole shoot was amazing.
    Then his funeral--I was rather surprised to see Castle, a civilian, as a pallbearer instead of another cop. But it fit in well.
    I WAS getting a little sick of Kate saying "Castle, we're OVER", "Castle, go HOME", etc. So for him to come back at her during that fight was a refreshing change. I doubt that she'll die: but there are always tried and true alternates: a coma, during which the men hunt down the shooter: paralysis which might work if they made her captain but unable to work further on her mother's murder: and of course the ol' "Thank God, it was just a dream." Hope they do something amazing, as they did with this show.
    And I DID enjoy their tender little scene at the end!

Is she maybe faking it so that the shooter will THINK she's gone, and they can start tracking him? They must have known that they would be extremely exposed on that hilltop. Hm.......

And I wonder about that ring of her mother's that she always wears around her neck. It is an engagement ring, as I recall, with a diamond, the hardest surface on earth. Did it stop the bullet? Of course, even if it did it would hurt like h____, but it may have stopped it. And it may be her mother's way of smacking her upside the head and telling her to be more careful!
  • im like, OMG! I couldnt believe that she was shot

Loved it. The end was filled with suspense and just when you thought that it couldnt get anymore dramatic, Beckett gets shot.

I was, OMG, he said it, finally. But come on, when shes dying, but if you look closely at Castles face right at the end, he has this look of relief.......Witness Protection anyone??????

Totally cant wait for the next episode, hope there is something on the fact that he did declare his love for her. I also hope that we find out who is the 'Dragon' behind it all.

Whats with the cliff hanger endings? Army wives did that in both Season 1 and Season 2.
MNT