Castle

One Man's Treasure

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 23, 2009 on ABC

• more of a comment on the show in general as oppose to this particular episode...

okay, so i completely adore the characters and i'm glad that the show is doing respectably well. castle, specifically makes the show for me (i heart nathan fillion) and beckette is growing on me, the daughter is fun and witty, the mom is jokes, and the duo have their moments too. the stories are generally good, at times convoluted and sometimes predictable but more or less castle tends to provide good entertainment. now the only thing that i am missing from this show is a little bit of DRAMA! they touched on it a tiny itty bit when castle started digging into beckett's past but they since then have come to a complete stop in the audience grabbing drama department. i feel that it's time to drop a little bomb for one of the main characters. something that can give the show a few more dimensions. don't get me wrong, i love the witty banter and the flirtatious fun but a little more substance is due soon...that's just my two cents.
  • A man is found dead in the garbage shoot at an apartment building. As things start coming together it is discovered he had a wife, a fiancee, and two different identities as well as affiliations with more than one company.

This episode was definitely driven and carried by the actors. The story itself was trying to be extremely clever, but just seemed to outfox itself with the little intricacies of the plot.

One of the best attributes that Castle himself has is his juvenile nature. All men have it and his thrives. You had to love the helicopter opening which is typical and then the comment about police tactical training. We all have our excuses for acting or playing out. In a way we see this in the other men that Castle works with as well. It almost seems at times like Beckett is the watchful mother trying to make sure no one gets into trouble. Generally just turning a blind eye to the antics of the men including Captain Montgomery. I especially liked the point in the episode in which she chastised both Castle and Montgomery for their comments. Beckett sort of keeps them in line.

As far as the plot of the story goes, the story got a little convoluted. I believe you have to see it for yourself to understand what happened and all of the supposed twists and turns. In the end it was sort of nice that Beckett and Castle could tell the wife what really had been going on. One had to wonder why she didn't at least know some of what was going on. Also, what about the twenty grand he got from his brother-in-law? That sort of went nowhere! What was that all about or was it just a red herring to throw us off?

All in all a character driven episode with a lot of Beckett, Castle, Alexis, and the boys in the station doing their thing. I wouldn't want to see too many episodes like this. Also it would be nice to get back into some chemistry driven episodes with Beckett/Castle situations. Of course I understand we'll see something of the sort when Alyssa Milano shows up. It should be fun. Thanks for reading...
  • "Castle! Get pictures!"...

...had the squad room boys (and I do mean boys) looking to document a chick fight, all in the name of evidence gathering, of course!

The infantile side of Castle is definitely rubbing off on those in his working environment and it works on this show, because the characters are so cohesive. And also because the basic character attributes of the scripted personalities is completely and obviously UNlike the antics they employ. The Alexis sideline story in this episode "fit" a little less well than the side stories usually do; it just seemed a bit contrived, but on the other hand, it did develop her as a true chipette off the old block, albeit with a bit more maturity than the block often displays! So over all, it was a forgivable interlude.

The case was an interesting conundrum. I figured the "fiance" from the start, but not in the way it turned out. And it wasn't until they revisited the CEO of the New York company for the second time that I figured he might have a role, but again, not quite as nefarious as it ended up.

Consistently good. Actually, consistently better...