Castle

Monday 10:00 PM on ABC Premiered Mar 09, 2009 In Season

TesserT

Castle Fan Reviews (199)

• Castle's acting

I've loved the show for 5 years and thought the characterizations and acting were very good. No longer. I don't know if the directors are the reason, the story lines weak or the actors themselves, but something is off, especially Fillion's portrayal of Castle. His acting has become affected and exaggerated and Castle is coming off as a syrupy buffoon. The old magic is gone.

Castle is supposed to be a lovable brat, not a silly caricature! Stop it!!!
  • Great Show lots of laughs

We love the show and have just found out ABC is cancelling the show. For whatever reason is beyond us but yet again we the viewers don't have a voice as to which shows get carried and which don't. We just lose another great show :'(
  • Good, great show for nxt gen

It's one of the best Shows ever. It has severely stimulated me to become an investigator!!!
  • Thoughts

Castle is my favorite show, I find it so interesting, I had only started watching recently and I am all up to speed and waiting for the next episode.

I am just IN LOVE with this show and I am glad I found this website to occupy my time while I wait for this new episode. :)
  • Even with the Hype, not a bad episode

The hype leading up to this episode was tremendous. It kind of made the expectations that this episode would be in the top 3. While not quite that high, it brought out a lot to think about and made room for further episodes to come and can keep the show fresh for a 7th season.

Stana Katic was great. This episode just confirmed why she won the People's choice award. The range of emotion (joy to sorrow to determination) was large and she pulled it off without a hitch.

Interesting thought, can Beckett and Castle use Elena Markov as the "knife" to put an end to Bracken. She seems to be the most direct link to him.
  • Castle

boring copy cat procedural
  • not too bad

Mediocre show, obviously the first several seasons are the better ones, but that's normal. I just got a few questions...

Are all doors in the states really made out of cheap wood, or is it just for filming reasons? I'd like to see them bastards taking down any door at where I'm from with a kick, lol. All doors here are made out of steel, and the frames have steel pillars buried deep into the surrounding walls. NYPD open up, my ass

Same goes for credit cards and checks. Does everybody really pay like that? Nobody uses cash? No wonder they have such a high crime solving rate:))
  • I love it when shows do that

OK, I started watching the show for the first time three months back on DVD. The first two seasons were great and then in season 3 a drop began. I powered through season 4, almost ready to give it up and then season 5 happened and the show exploded again.

I love shows that know when they reached a low point and managed to reinvent themselves. I love how season five is as quirky, light-hearted and funny as season 1 without losing the seriousness of the main story. Go on Castle.
  • What happened to 'Caskett'?

Well, the first three seasons were 'will they, or won't they', and at the end of season 4 (Always) they finally gave into their feelings for one another. All through season 5 the show was exploring their ups and downs with becoming a couple, especially in episode 4 'Murder He Wrote', when they went away for the weekend alone, and you got to see them really enjoy their time together, but so far this season (6), the 'chemistry' is definitely lacking, especially for a couple that's supposed to be in love and getting married.

The show's creator (Andrew Marlowe) has asked for fans to be patient this season, but episode 8 just aired two days ago (which, if this season runs 23 or 24 episodes like the others, is a third of the way through), and so far the only thing we know about the 'Caskett' wedding is in the beginning of episode 4 Becket says to Lanie, "we haven't set a date, and we just want to enjoy our engagement", and in the beginning of episode 7 Castle tells Becket he would like to get married in space. A third of the way through the season, and that's all we know about the wedding?

I'm not saying they have to get married this year, but the episodes this season have been up and down showing how much they're in love. For example, in episode 1, Beckett happily accepts his proposal with kisses, and later in that episode is pleasantly surprised when he shows up at her apartment in DC. In episode 2 when Beckett learns Castle only has a day to live, she doesn't shed a tear, or have a moment by herself where she gets emotional? In episode 3 when Castle suggests getting an apartment together in DC, Beckett actually seems happy to kiss him. In episode 4, Castle gets shot in the chest, and all Beckett does when he comes around and she realizes he isn't dead is smile and give him a hug? At the end of that same episode Beckett returns to duty at the NYPD, and the kiss they share at the end seems forced, like they had to do it to show they're still a couple. The story-arc in episodes 5, 6 & 7 were the Castle / Alexis relationship, which needed exploring, yet we have Alexis, who's only been dating her boyfriend a few months, and now living together in their own place, but Castle and Beckett, who've known each other for years and are now engaged, still living separately? How is that believable? At the end of episode 8 Castle replaces his lion picture with shells he & Beckett picked up on the beach at the Hamptons, and again, all Beckett does is smile and give Castle a hug? Doesn't feel like a couple madly in love and ready to get married, does it?

It was noted that when Stana and Nathan were seated at the Paley Fest this year (2013), they didn't sit next to each other, which they've done previously. Could it be that they aren't getting along? That would explain why they don't seem to be 'into' each other this season, like they have before.

I can understand expanding other character story-lines, (Ryan's pending baby, Alexis moving out), but the show needs to return its focus on the 'Caskett' relationship, or viewers are going to run out of patience, and start tuning out.

[UPDATE 01-14-14]

Well 4 more episodes have passed since I wrote this original review, and I must say that the show has definitely picked back up, so I guess Marlowe was right, we had to be patient !

We had the return of Jerry Tyson (3XK), which was an excellent episode for the 5 main characters, and very creepy at the end ! We're sure to see Tyson again in the future.

Then the baby episode showed Kate warming up to the idea of having kids, and how she and Castle would do as parents, a very nice episode.

Next we have Ryan & Esposito trapped in a fire, with Jenny in labor, another great episode.

Finally last night we get to see Castle's father once again, and a date for the wedding (September) !

So, I will admit that the beginning of the season was a bit rough, but now at the halfway point, the show is as good as it has been in quite a while.
  • Beckett's Engagement to Castle

I fail to understand after complaining where their relationship is going Beckett doesn't wear her engagement ring. Perhaps its a sign of problems to come.
  • Fun mystery show with good characters, acting, and plots

In 2013, I was channel surfing and, by wild coincidence, found TNT running the start of a 'Castle' marathon, which runs almost daily, with at least 4 episodes a day, presumably as an intro to the upcoming sixth season. Great timing!

Take a writer, a la "Murder She Wrote," add a hard-boiled police detective, a la "Magnum, and you have a fast-paced crime drama with a touch of comedy.

I could ramble on about the unexpected plots, good, believable, performances, and good writing (I'm in the middle of season 4, and, to date, have predicted only ONE line of banter!), etc, etc, etc, but, I don't think I could do it justice, because, this is not your average detective show! Even the titular character's family is well-designed to be just peripheral to the show: A few minutes of banter, and maybe even an inadvertent line that cracks the case wide open; a good grounding to make him into a multi-dimensional character (watch any episode of NYPD or CSI, and you'd be hard-pressed to find anything, but two-dimensional characters). And, not to put too fine a "point" on it, but I even like the incredibly brief "theme" (you'll understand why I put those two words in quotes when you watch it! I also like that they, occasionally, change the theme's video and music to match the plot, such as using snow, a candy cane, and transposing Xmas-y music, in an episode where "Santa" is - - er, um - - "offed" (gotta dumb it down for the kids, ya know!)). ;)

If I have any criticism, it's that the titular character's actor is sometimes a little too "cute"; you'd think a millionaire writer would be a little more reclusive and stoic, a la "Bruce Wayne," not jocular and boyish, or at least, not every minute! Also, he seems to be putting on weight; it's easy to see when you're viewing entire seasons in mere days! His growing pudginess (especially around the face) is somewhat distracting, and, I hope, someone tells him to go on a diet and exercise (possible show idea: "Castle's" doctor tells him as much, and then the doctor is killed!). ;)

I look forward to watching the daily run from my DVD recorder (I'm not always home when it runs and I like being able to skip commercials)!

[Update July 17] They are already re-running the reruns! It stopped two episodes shy of the end of the 4th season. Fortunately, those and the 5th season are available on the web; there's more than one site, but, I can't reveal which one I use, because, I'm afraid that, if I do, it'll get more hits, which could mean slower bandwidth and poorer display, and, for all I know, it is showing them illegally, which means it could go away before I can see all of season 5!).

[Update Nov 25]

I got fully caught up with the series a few weeks ago, and am liking the 5th season, but, not as much as the previous seasons. I am aware of the "TV marriage curse," in which characters who make a major life change mid-series, often go down the tubes (pun intended), so, I'm hoping that they'll break it off (I'm not fond of them shacking-up as it is!).
  • Better than average...

... but that still leaves me wanting to change the station after 15 minutes. If i can get through that I usually get into it and find something about it I like. After watching two full seasons of the show on DVD my opinion changed a bit. I find Becketts character too strident for her years of experience and I find Castle kind of an improbable character. Thats what I get watching multiple episodes back to back.
  • Love Castle!!

As a huge fan of murder mysteries, the premise of Castle immediately grabbed my attention. I still love it!! And the characters have grown as well. Always happy to see that!
  • Get Beckett Back, please

Back in another reality I worked for the Treasury Department. I was not in criminal enforcement, but I interacted with a number who were. None had a sense of humor. They were strictly business, strictly by the rules. I thought no less of them for it. But Beckett is not cut from that cloth. I can't imagine her FBI superiors accepting her sharing any information, let alone criminal evidence, with a civilian amateur.

The NYPD, at least in fiction, has a long record of doing that and it makes it much easier to accept.
  • family interaction

I really like the mother/Alexis/Castle interaction. But definitely don't like Alexis' new boyfriend. He is an idiot and doesn't fit her personality anyway. Needless character. Castle needs to quit being wishy-washy.

• Dont like the turn of events

If something works good why mess with it? Beckett and the rest of the group no longer working together sucks. This is the last season if they keep this up! Terrible. This show really sucks now!
  • love the show but....

Cannot stand the actress that plays his mother. She really brings the show down. Now they have added idiot character "Pie" (not even sure of his name). This really adds no value to the show. Can't they come up with a better way to add drama to the show? How about they have mom and daughter move out. Show would be 200% better.
  • "rick,where are we going?"

. I CAN NOT THINK OF ANY COMEDY/DRAMA THAT HAS AIRED IN THE LAST DECADE THAT HAS (FOR THE MOST PART) BEEN SO WELL CONSTRUCTED IN THE WRITING . THE CAST IS WELL BALANCED AND COHESIVE. CASTLE AND BECKETT COULD NOT BE PLAYED BY A MORE CONVINCING PAIR OF ACTORS. BECAUSE OF ALL THAT, THE "SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF" COMES VERY EASILY WITH THE SOMETIME EXAGGERATED STORY LINES.

NATHAN FILLION ANS STANA KATIC ARE CLASSICALLY PAIRED FOR THEIR ROLES OF THIS 21ST CENTURY VERSION OF "PRIDE AND PREJUDICE "

MY SINGLE CRITICISM IS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WRITING IN THE LAST FOUR EPISODES OF THIS PAST SEASON? ALL OF THE WELL LAID OUT CHARACTERISTICS OF THE STARS OF THE SHOW WENT OFF IN WILD TANGENTS FROM WHAT HAD DEVELOPED IN THE PRIOR SEASONS.

THE WRITING COMPLETELY LOST CONTINUITY OF WHO THEY ARE. I CAN ONLY GUESS THAT SOME INTERNAL CONFLICT (WITH THE AUTHOR AND THE NETWORK ?) HAPPENED THAT CAUSED SUCH A REVERSAL OF QUALITY.

UPDATE; NOW THAT THE NEW SEASON HAS TWO EPISODES SHOWN, I THINK THAT THE STORY HAS BEEN HANDLED VERY WELL, THE DRAMA WAS CERTAINLY THERE AND THE BEGGING OF "A PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT" FOR CASTLE AND BECKETT MADE SENSE . IT STILL HOLDS MY ATTENTION. THE NEW LOCATION AND NEW CHARACTERS ARE GOOD FOR NOW , AS LONG AS THE CASTLE INVOLVEMENT IN BECKETT'S " JOB " REMAINS INTACT SOMEHOW, I AM OK

I STILL HOLD WITH MY CRITICISM THAT THE FINAL THREE OR FOUR EPISODES OF LAST SEASON WERE OUT OF SYNC WITH ALL THAT WENT BEFORE. BUT AS WRITERS ARE ABLE TO DO, THEY CAN MAKE EVERYTHING WORK OUT, EVAN IF IT IS CONTRARY TO WHAT THEY HAVE HAD THE VIEWER EXPECT. AS FAR AS ALL THE CHANGES OF CHARACTERS AND SETTINGS, I HATE LEAVING WHAT IS EXPECTED AND COMFORTABLE, BUT TO CONTINUE WITH THE PREDICABLE IS LIKE MY SMALL CHILDREN LIKING TO WATCH THE SAME CARTOONS OVER AND OVER BECAUSE THEY KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN
  • If it is not broke do not fix it

Very disappointed. The show seems disjointed. The best part of the show was having Beckett and Castle in New York in the precinct working with and off of each other. I also do not like Beckett's "new hair". She looked some much better with the brunette color. The blonde looks weird and unnatural. Boring!
  • STILL LOVING CASTLE

Ok so not gonna lie at first I was no where r they taking this? I was I have to say I don't mind the little changes here and there I think all the new characters work well...

So far anyway . I think the writers r doing a great job as always very smart at how they approach things esp in this season. Its like putting ur foot in the pool to feel the water first before jumping in if they had chucked us in the deep end first I don't think it would have worked quite as well... now we all have our own opinions and mine is I like it and I'm still loving castle.
  • LOVE LOVE IT

CASTLE IS THE BEST SHOW ON TV

EVERYONE WORKS SO WELL TOGETHER. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SHOW. A GREAT BALANCE.

THE NYC ARENA HAS BEEN FABULOUS, NOT SURE HOW WASHINGTON IS GOING TO PLAY OUT, HOWEVER, I AM GAME.

CASTLE, BECKETT, MARTHA, ALEXIS, JAVIER, KEVIN, AND LANIE ARE THE BEST. GREAT CHEMISTRY. PLEASE KEEP THEM TOGETHER. . PLEASE KEEP THE SHOW ON THE AIR.
  • castle show

you have gone off the track it was a good show until now whereyou went with this show is off its track story not good keep it up you lose viewers a two what happen to the saying grame him and make babies? going to do it long way off?woman do change there mines don't they
  • BRILLIANT

Absolutely fabulous episode and on the edge of my seat for episode 2. It's obvious Castle isn't going to die but I cannot wait to see how they get out of this one!
  • Season 6 premiere

10 to the amazing Beckett/Stana Katic; 6.5 for Castle/Nathan Fillion and 3 to the writers....
  • Really?

Did not care for the young man Alexis brought home in Season 6. His character was overbearing and annoying. And to disrespect her father by not asking first if this person could stay in a guest room... Oh do, please, get him off!!!!
  • Disappointed!

We waited all day long to see this season's first episode last night. It seemed ridiculous that Castle, a talented writer with one piece of evidence solved the mystery before the FBI, with the help of the NYPD. It felt very uncomfortable to us; Beckett's in the FBI now, in Washington. Took me out of my comfort zone with the show. Not happy. Neither is my husband. It's been a great series; we think the writers need to do better. We don't want to see this show get cancelled. They've got the most talented cast!

Pam and Gordon Stater, Shawnee, OK
  • awesome

Never watched any show, used to think about people why they go crazy about some shows and their characters, so then castle happened to me and I understand,

Just 1 word for the team of castle AWESOME
  • Season 6 I Can't wait!!!!

Love the cast & writers!!!

Keeps getting better!!!
  • Great Chemistry!

I can't write reviews but this is what I like about the show.

I love these two together. I love Castle's quirkiness and one liners. The sexual tension between the two before season 5 is just too funny! Even after finally getting together they can still keep that wit about them. The cases are great and the writers who thought up tossing a 'writer' in to help solve crimes is clever in my book! LOVE Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic. Both are incredibly awesome actors! SO anxious for Season 6 and I'll be devastated when it all ends.
  • a great crime solving show

The show is great no matter what some people might say it is always fun to watch the characters figure out the cases. it hard to believe some of the story but in the end you learn how it possible that someone could do things like that .The thing I like about the show is they don't write a story so far out there that it makes it seem cheesy. I hope they keep the show going like castle said in the episode the lives of others when he toasted and said here's to 100 more. keep the show going great show
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7