Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 19, 2011 on ABC

After the heavy build-up for the show's return due to its most explosive finale yet, the episode we got turned out to be a little bit dull. It is good to have Castle and Beckett back on my TV, but let's be honest, we knew she was not going to die so what is the point? Longtime viewers waited patiently for one of them to admit their love for each other so the followup was disappointing in this premiere. Not bad, just disappointing.

• New Police Captain. Must know more after shooting.

The Beckett traumatic experience.   Castle alters thinking.  The story picks up 3 months after the last season's shooting. We do see the more than friends relationship takes a big hit. Lots of clues for the whole 4th season theme. Interesting unknown character who Montgomery mailed file.- very mysterous.

• Great opening to what hopefully will be a great season 4

It was a great preview into what i believe will be a little more darker castle than what we have seen in the previous 3 seasons. The overall show was mainly about Beckett getting back into the game again after being shot and Castle being there no matter what.

I'm actually quite glad that what we saw at first was that Beckett said she didn't remember what had happened when she was shot. Although I had an inkling there was more to what she said to Castle and I was elated to find out that she did actually lie and she does remember everything. I believe the writers have done the right thing here as there could be more done before Castle and Beckett get together.

Thank god motorcycle boy is gone as he was really starting to annoy me. What I hope now is that the writers don't bring in any more BF/GF for either of them for a long while, doesn't need it.

I think I'm looking forward to a more edgier Castle as we saw near the end. Bring on the next episode.

• During the summer I hoped and feared for this season premiere. And I wasn't disappointed in both departments.

The beginning of this episode made my worst fears come true. Beckett having amnesia and doesn't remember, then the writers did the same thing they did with Bones; too messed up emotionally to be romantically involved. It seemd to me that everything was back to square one. Beckett and Castle dancing around each other episode by episode.

But things changed right at the end that made my hopes come back. Beckett DOES remember and that gives a new perspective on how she treated Castle during this episode.

I still can hope, that the producers are willing to go towards a real relationship between Castle and Beckett somewhere in the future. Unfortunatly the track record for crime dramas in that department is not good. Too often it isn't done like in JAG, NCIS and Bones or it is done poorly like in Without a Trace.

I will keep my fingers crossed and keep watching.

• Castle and Becket are in a deadlock situation. With an impressive performance they just start over.

First thing: I don't buy the storyline at all. The premise: the murderers of Kate Becket's mother are so powerfull and well connected -- they can kill her without any doubt and remain hidden. A gang of renegade cops, who made millions of dollars in the 70's by kidnapping mobsters is behind this. And Montgomery has to sacrifice his life to keep Beckett alive. This does not make any sense at all.

The real reason behind this plot. Castle and Becket have to keep up their sexual tension. Since they are bot smart, attractive and very attracted to each other, the writers need better reasons. They coupled both up, but now they have to resort to deep emotional injuries to keep them apart -- and still together. On their way through a New York that is worthy of any mystery novel.

All this is very transparent. But I still like this episode inspite of the lack of surprises. The ER scene is masterfully directed. The writers did a good job to keep the story on running and to show the successless hunt for clues. Fillion and Katicstruggle with the emotional state of their characters, but they do a great job.

Especially I enjoyed to see two actors from Star Trek. Michael Dorn als therapist is a bold casting decision :-)

• A great first episode of what seems like will be a vey complex season! I wonder if the tone of this episode (a lot more serious and "dark") sets the tone for the entire season. Just hard to imagine a lot of comic relief with all the deep story lines.

I can't help but wonder if the writers have the whole story of Beckett's mom's murder pre-written or if they are letting it unfold as they go along. As the story keeps getting more and more complex with each season, it appears that they continue to add story lines to it, but at some point they'll have to come up with how it all pans out, and I'm just curious at what point in the show that'll be.

As for the episode itself, overall I really enjoyed it. It does appear that Beckett now has a softer side towards Castle, especially now that she realizes how much he cares for her and how far he's willing to go. Hopefully this will help her in the long run get over her anger at him when she finds out what he's been hiding about her mom's case.

I also liked the new aspect of Castle being really angry with Beckett. I don't think we've seen him be THIS upset with her before.

And it's nice to see Alexis play a much more grown-up role this episode. The writers are doing a great job of developing the maturity of her character with each season.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about the scenes with the new captain. I like the contrast of Captain Victoria Gate's character to Captain Montgomery's, and I think Penny Johnson is excellent for this role, but I kind of felt like her scenes were "forced" into the episode. I'm sure we'll see her character develop more throughout the season, but with this episode focusing so much on the familiar characters and aspects, introducing a new main character to fit in this complex story line must've been a huge challenge.

But overall, a great start to another great season of Castle!

• It's Enough - For Now

I admit that I had VERY high expectations for the new season - probably too high. While I very much enjoyed the show, it felt like there was a little something missing although I can't put my finger on what.

Castle is one of my two favorite shows on TV (Bones is the other), so there's no such thing as a bad Castle episode in my eyes. I think what made it hard was that there is usually a case that takes center stage and then we have the Beckett/Castle (and Martha, Alexis, etc.) backstory. In this episode it was reversed. I found the murder they were working on almost an annoying side story - with an obvious conclusion - to Kate's recovery and her return to work - both of which were very, very well done.

I don't like the new Captain. I hope her character changes some because Capt. Montgomery was a warm, compassionate and strong leader and this woman is anything but. I guess I don't like the idea of the Police having to battle each other to get a job done. They were all on the same team before and genuinely cared for each other and the new dynamic is the opposite of that.

The last scene moved the Beckett/Castle relationship along nicely and the bridging of the time from when Kate was shot to today was also well done. So, like with Kate's pursuit to find her mother's killer and Rick's "pursuit" of Kate, we had progress and like they said: it's enough...for now. :)

• Castle, Serious Business.

From the "tense" surgery/waitingroom scene to a sudden 3 month time jump accompanied by a lot of crying and emotional distress this was nothing like a regular Castle episode.

The show has proven that it can deliver tense and good drama in for example Tick, Tick. And in many ways this feels like a copy of that story. Becket is in mortal danger although noone expects her to really die. Castle and Becket go through another breakup though we all know they will be back together by the 20 minute mark. See the pattern? The problem with this episode is that they did absolutely nothing original. The whole badass new captian routine and the amnesia after the gunshot, I've seen it so many times before and done better. Big twist coming though, the amnesia turned out to be a lie! So we can start the whole "will they or won't they" routine again, YAY!

But all sarcasm aside Castle is still Castle so even though it may not be the most original of shows we can always count on a solid performance by the cast. Also the episode was very watchable considering how many elements were crammed into these 45 minutes. Martha and Alexis didn't have much screentime which is always a good thing, while Ryan and Esposito had plenty which is also a good thing.

The mystery of the week is hardly worth mentioning. Taking the backseat is a pretty big understatement. Actually I think it would have been wiser if the writers would've dropped it and used the extra time to add some depth to the time jump. We are told bits and pieces about the 3 months but it really lacks any impact.

An episode that I was expecting but not was hoping for. Packed with events and changes it felt rushed and messy at times. But mostly the cliches and rehashed story elements made this a dissaponting Castle episode.

• A bit rushed, but setting the pace

Highly anticipated season opener that mainly lived up to its promises but felt a bit rushed.

I got the feeling while trying to sat the pace for this season they were forced to rush the storyline in order to get everything into the first episode. Especially Beckett's time away felt kind of awkward. I hope they'll get back to that and her stay at her father's cabin in later episodes.

Then we meet the new captain, which obviously won't win a lot of hearts. ;-) And we have Ryan's and Esposito's case, for me the weakest part of the episode, because it was totally unnecessary. It was not much of a real investigation and even if I acknowledge the fact that they used it to get Beckett back on track I can't help but think that it felt staged and misplaced.

I liked the way they handled Castle's "I love you" and the "surprise" at the end that she actually heard him. And though we know nothing significant will happen between them for now, we get the feeling that they are getting somewhere eventually. Of course only if they can side step the 600 pound gorilla in the room, which is Castle secrect about the mysterious caller and the consequences that come along with it.

So all together I really enjoyed the season premiere, but wished they had split it up into two episodes or had left out some of the minor plot lines. Definitely looking forward to the next episodes.

• Great opening for the new season

Great episode, tying up some of the storyline from the last series, cutting off some other story arcs and forwarding other parts of the plot as well - a good way to set up a new season.

You can also see some change in all the characters development which will probably help the series from stagnating