Castle

Target

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Feb 18, 2013 on ABC

• Ah!!! That explains it!

I wrote a review for NCIS episode "Canary" and my title asked if they had given all the good writers a holiday as the episode was pitiful for the highest rated show in America.

It seems they DID give them a vacation but they moonlighted here, instead.

Castle has been meandering along a bit for the last few eps but, boy did that change here.

Easily the best episode of this season, starting off fairly light (or as light as a death and kidnapping can be), then ramping into high drama when Alexis was also found to be gone.

I also mentioned in a review of "Elementary" that time seems to fly past when what you are watching "grips" you and won't let go.

This was the first episode of Castle in a while where my attention was rivetted to the screen and the forty minutes simply vanished..

High tension, with a fine performance from the usually comedic Fillion and the always watchable Katic.

Although not a father myself, I can totally relate to the seething undercurrent of anger and grief that would drive any Dad to basically torture/kill anyone that could lead to a rescue.

Here, Beckett went out of character from her usually "by the book" cop personna and "walked away" when Castle asked for a minute with one of the kidnappers.

That's what love is, you do what you gotta do.

I was pleased that, at last, Gates showed some sympathy for Castle and even more that Beckett hugged Castle in full view, not caring whether or not Gates was watching. It was the right thing to do!

Alexis, as usual, remained calm, steadying her friend and made a spirited attempt to escape, although failing.

As the phone stayed on, when she dropped it, I'm slightly surprised the Police simply didn't trace the GPS unit in it but I really don't care.

Can't wait for next week to see the outcome.
ABC