Castle

That '70s Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Apr 21, 2014 on ABC

• That 70's Show

There were some amusing parts in this episode, but it got annoying at times, and the story just did not feel like it was that strongly pieced together. Still, I'd say it was a little better than average.
  • Great Trip Back In Time

This was a tongue-in-cheek episode and good for them for doing it. Just a touch of plausibility to give it a foundation and then off they went in time travel. And with a "who dunnit" to boot. There are times that shows need to have some fun with themselves - and with the audience. This was a great example of how to do it. Everything was spot on accurate. Nice to have Disco back again!!
  • great funny episode

I enjoy this episode. and the situation. I'm we can laught have mistery and fun
  • Castle struts again!

Alright. I'm trying to think if there has ever been a sillier episode of CASTLE. Off the top of my head, the Star Trek/Galaxy Quest one was pretty silly (and great fun) but "That 70s Show" beats it into a cocked pimp-style borsalino. Yet I loved it. It reminded me a little of the early episodes of LIFE ON MARS (the US version before they totally screwed up the ending) and it's clear the whole cast was enjoying a spell in the dressing-up box. That said, the stand-outs for me were Jon Huertos and Seamus Dever channeling Starsky and Hutch. Those boys deserve a spin-off series.
  • Why I started watching this show in the first place!

This episode reminded me of why I started to, and continue to, watch Castle. If I wanted to see a "police procedural," then I would watch one. Castle is that, but with tongue in cheek, and sometimes just silly in a good way. Last season was too serious. This season it appears they are trying to get back to their roots, which is fine with me. Good silly goes a long way with me.
  • Fun 70's ride

This episode was hilarious and absolute fun.
  • Once you go white, nothin' else seems right !

Utterly hilarious episode of Castle, right back to the original concept of procedural PLUS humour.

Even better, back to the 70's when men were actually able to like women AND say so.

Easily, one of the best episodes in the last two seasons with Jon Polito as Harry Leone hamming it up for all he was worth and giving every woman in sight the eye, even 'though he was actually gay.

Lanie was sex on a stick in her Foxy Brown outfit and cool Afro, while Alexis sizzled in her halter top.

Not surprising thet Espo was struck dumb when he saw Lanie. I believe they are still "Friends with benefits" but as Beyonce crooned, he really should have "Got a ring on it" when he had the chance.

This episode was a hoot all the way through with Ryan in full on Saturday Night Fever mode in the Glitteratti but when Espo gave it the Starsky & Hutch slide on the car only to land on his butt, I nearly laughed up my lunch.

It was only a shame we didn't get Gates in a huge Afro and tighter than tight outfit. THat would have done me in, I think.

Head and shoulders the best episode this season and getting a very, very rare 9.5 rating from me.

And for the guy below who gave it a 4.0 rate, can I suggest you stick to CSI or similar doom and gloom fests. Either that or buy a sense of humour. :)
  • ridonkulous and hilarious - so who needs plausible?

All the initial plot exposition and setup leads to Harold saying he'll only give a statement at the station, which means they have to redecorate everything to make it look like it's still the '70s. Since Gates is out of town, they decide to go for it, and hand it over to Martha, because they need to give her something less destructive to do than helping with the wedding. out with computers, in with typewriters.

The results are fabulous. There are '70s-era prostitutes being booked, who look pretty much the same as modern prostitutes. There are rainbow vests and polyester pant suits. There's Kate in high-waist bell bottoms that show off her magnificent ass, and Alexis in a crop top, because they had to work her in somehow. There's the magnificently hilarious Ryan and Esposito, who've overdosed on old police footage and conveniently look exactly like a pair of cops from the '70s.

Javi's mustache and Ryan's wig are Laugh out loud hilarious.

The episode ends, of course, at a disco. Everyone gets to boogie down, Espo checks out Lanie a lot, and I'm still not really sure why those two broke up. And Gay Harold symbolically gets one last dance with Vince. The writers must have all been planning this as the 4-20 episode and they hit a great fun home run
  • Boogie Nights

This was a great if rather bizzare episode for the show, and is another favorate of mine. It's true it's premise is kinda far fetched and out there but that's part of what makes this episode great in my book, it was just really cool and funny seeing a 70's version of Castle.

The mystery is soild and Harold I really like, he's basically a guy that is in some state of grieving and making himself stick with the 70's decade as a form of holding on to his lost friend when he was still around. It's funny and kinda surreal, but after a while you really begin to feel for this guy, especially when we discover a little twist on the relationship between him and his friend.

However, the highlight no doubt are seeing Castle, Kate and the rest put on the 70's act just to get Harold to spill out the truth. The best part no doubt was seeing Martha turning the precent into the 70's decade, from the amount of work and direction she's done, she should think about movie directing. It just looks great because it really looked and felt like the 70's, there is just so much to see, from Lainie really looking like actress Pam Grier, the typewriters, wardrobe you name it it's all there.

Two points I thought were really funny was seeing both Castle and Kate having scripts and both struggling with acting, which is understandable because both characters aren't trained actors but just simply reciting the 70's lingo and dialog; that would also be understandable from an actors point of view, if your so use to modern day dialog you would have trouble getting use to the one from the past. However what made it funnier are both of them are playing out cleches that are in 70's detective/cop shows, like Kate pounding her fist on the desk which happens a lot in those shows back then.

And seeing both Ryan and Esposito was great posing as cops from the 70's, you can tell both did there research from overdosing on the documentaries on cops in the 70's as well as may'be seeing one 70's detective/cop show too many. I really like the costume designs on them, but I just really love the dialog they deliver and their performances, both of them really look and act like they could be in a 70's detective/cop show.

So, get down and boogie.
  • Hilarious

This episode was one of the funniest I've ever seen. Sure it's supposed to be a serious "cop show", but there are times even in the darker moments of life that have a lighter side to them. And this was well portrayed. What's the point of talking about all the ways it "should have been"; just relax, sit back and enjoy. There's enough seriousness in other dramas of this venue to make up the difference. Once in a while we need a laugh in the midst of drama. I thought it was great.
  • Silly, stupid, sitcom-ish.

I could see Castle and Beckett playing along with the 70's theme in that guys house. I could maybe even see them playing along while inside the morgue with Lanie. But the whole precinct? Give me a break. Does that precinct only work on Beckett's cases? What happens if another real crime happens while they are play acting? it was all rather stupid and silly and reminded me of various sitcoms.

I half expected to see Jerry Seinfeld walk in with those stupid glasses, or Ross walk in pretending to speak with a British accident or even Barney Fife dressed as a store mannequin.

The only redeeming things were Lanie in the Foxy Brown outfit and Alexis in her barely there halter top. Wow!! on both accounts.

But, come on Castle writers, you can do better.
  • Hilarious!

It was so much fun watching the entire precinct dressing up and play their parts; wished Captain Gates would've played along. I laughed through out the whole episode.
ABC