Castle

The Fifth Bullet

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 07, 2009 on ABC

• Paintings and fakes

So another ep where the killer was obvious miles off. But alas so wanted J to be the killer and you know it was heading that way, then again it wouldn't have been much of a mystery. Why the lines about Beckett being a romantic, from her character she isn't just some unfeeling detec, especially since we've seen this over and over in her personal life, as far as her mother is concerned. And the way she must break the sad news to Vic's families, okay that's not romantic but it requires some emotion and feeling from the heart. Not everyone's an "ice hole."

As for Castle, if he wasn't a romantic, or had some romantic bone in his body, that wouldn't make him a very good mystery writer. Mysteries just aren't about "murder and mayhem" to quote Castle. There are also mysteries of the heart.
  • When an art dealer is found murdered a fifth bullet seems to be missing from the scene until a man walks in with amnesia and the bullet is found in a copy of a Russian novel he is carrying. Eventually all signs point to him as the killer.

A fun episode with a lot of good feelings to go around. We get to see the warmer side of Beckett and Castle as well as Esposito and Ryan. Also we get to see some family time with Castle and his mother which is very touching. The ice cream bit was cute, but how many people keep eight different tubs of ice cream in their house? Marc Blucas of Buffy fame plays the amnesiac Jeremy Chadwick. What an interesting story and Jay as they called him seemed like such a nice fellow. As Castle said later in the episode when they thought Jay had shot the art dealer, to paraphrase "I could imagine going to jail for murder understanding what I did, but to go and have no idea why or what caused the altercation?"

Great piece of detective work at the end to really come up with the killer. You'll have to see it to understand. It is interesting that the dog really broke the case in the end! A very entertaining and sappy episode of Castle that one doesn't care if it was sappy. Just good feelings and an enjoyable story. Well acted and written. Thanks for reading...
  • It is a given that there are no "ice holes" on this cast or crew!

Some of the best one liners ever, roll trippingly off the pens of some really entertaining writers on this series. "Ice holes" should have at least earned one of them a round or two after work THAT day! I'm still laughing.

I'm glad "J" was not the bad man after all, though I was never really convinced he was. I mean, somebody had to be around to look after the puppy dog! And I'm with "Castle", in writing my own happy ending for Jeremy and his ex-wife...nice touch to give us viewers that liberty.

Carlo Rota gets around! He's everywhere, between the good guy on "Little Mosque on the Prairie" to the sleezy if not exactly "bad" guy diplomat in this role, to 24...and he's so good wherever he goes.

Now, my only question of this whole episode is this: would one of Castle's books have saved Jeremy??!! ;o}