Castle

The Final Frontier

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 05, 2012 on ABC

• Finally!

I complained, all through the last series, about how annoying the whole "will they/won't they" thread had become when it was obvious the writers had run out of ideas on how to keep them artificially apart. I argued that coming out as a couple would enhance the series and this wonderful episode proved my point.

Yes, the CHARM is back and then some. Castle and Beckett make a fabulous couple.

Yes it was CASTLE meets GALAXY QUEST but nothing wrong with that when director Jonathan Frakes (ST-TNG) was clearly having so much fun with the tropes (and turning in a hilarious cameo as Castle's "Number One fan"). Just like GQ, there was a danger that the whole fanboy/cosplay convention story would degenerate into a lazy clichefest but, like GQ, it soared high above with Beckett's wonderful defence of her old favourite TV show. We all know exactly how she feels.

Incidental delights? The Shatner "song" at the end. Nathan Fillion almost referencing his old series FIREFLY as one of his favourite TV series. Castle doing quite a passable Shatner impersonation at one point (more in the sense of the rhythm than exact intonation) though he should be kept away from EVER trying Jean-Luc Picard ever again.

Just a final thought. Anyone else think Christina Moore was channeling Jeri Ryan?