Castle

The Limey

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Apr 02, 2012 on ABC

7.8
  • Agreed Worst English Accent

This was the worst English accent ever. When he first came on I thought I had switched channels and accidentally turned on Neighbours or Home and Away (Australian soaps which were popular in UK in the 80s/90s). was born in South London and have lived there for over 25 years and my parents still live there so I feel I can certainly recognise most London accents and many northern dialects as my family were originally from the north of England.

He was attempting an East London accent but it sounded more South London this is possibly why. South Londoners are often mistaken for Australians when they are abroad. When I went to University in Scotland they thought my accent was from Australia. All that said, this accent sounded like an Australian trying to put on a cockney accent which ended up as an Estuary English/Australian mish-mash. Whereas Australians often pick up the pitch towards the end of their words all he did to try and sound London was to clip the end of his words, it didn't work. I'd love to know what Americans thought of his American accent?

Furthermore he didn't 'look' British. When they filmed Bourne at Waterloo Station (where I worked) you could so easily spot Matt Damon crossing the station because he looked 'so' American. I imagine Brits stand out in a similar way in the US, this guy looked like a surfer dude with an Aussie accent - AWFUL!

Then there was the tacky Scotland Yard badge, firstly it's New Scotland Yard but that is a building the organisation located there is known as the the Metropolitan Police. Do the FBI have a badge that says J.Edgar Hoover or the CIA have a badge that says George Bush Centre for Intelligence, or the NYPD have a badge that says 1 Police Plaza? I think not, normally these badges name the organisation not the headquarters. Also the badges don't normally look like a 5 year old knocked them up on their home PC.

I was looking forward to the new tension between Castle and Kate and the episode started off promising but as a Brit I found it damn right insulting that as usual American producers could not be bothered to put the effort in to get things right when dealing with anything outside of the US borders it hardly takes five minutes to find out who the Met are and at least what their logo looks like.

A guest star from the UK would have been more appropriate, someone from a BBC crime drama would seem ideal Matthew Macfadyen or Rupert Penry-Jones from Spooks would be great. Both British hunks that would have both looked far better in a Dinner Jacket (Tuxedo for Americans) and please don't get me started on the lack of appropriate waist garment with Brett Tucker's dinner jacket and his hotchpotch of a black tie.

Sorry Brett Tucker I am sure you are a reasonable actor but completely miscast in this episode and it really destroyed it for me. Sorely disappointed in the producers over this one.