Cavemen Forums

ABC (ended 2007)

I got the sense people wanted to hate this before it aired

numberonecubsfa

[1]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 6

It's weird. Most shows seem to get either lots of hype or almost no attention....but with Cavemen it seems like everyone decided they hate it the moment they heard about it. And now that it's aired, they are all "See! Told ya!". It's real weird. Especially since the pilot wasn't that bad at all.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nickpick

[2]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 35
    i was exciting it was going to start but there was alot of people saying bad things about it. i enjoyed every second of it. i really liked the parts when the geico cavemen made an appearence

ElmoKajaky

[3]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 8
    Hopefully the haters will go away and the fans of this show's quirky humor will get that rating higher...

blsrob

[4]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 8
    I gave it a shot but come on.......they were going to cancel Jericho and this show had better get cancelled soon! What a waste of time!

DabbleDone

[5]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    After watching the tv comercials, I couldn't wait for the show to start. I have to admit, I enjoyed the commercials better, and will continue watching those when they air, however, I will not watch the show anymore. Just didn't find it funny.

DrLar

[6]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 10
    As long as the ratings are good, networks don't care about the content, and a show like this with lots of controversy, makes people watch it even more...

Like that awful Kid Nation show, because of the controversy has high ratings and will last long.

tigerbot_hesh

[7]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 5
    numberonecubsfa wrote:

It's weird. Most shows seem to get either lots of hype or almost no attention....but with Cavemen it seems like everyone decided they hate it the moment they heard about it. And now that it's aired, they are all "See! Told ya!". It's real weird. Especially since the pilot wasn't that bad at all.

Yeah, mainly because they're all saying they hate it without giving any reason. They just think "it's stupid!" and "watched for 3 minutes and changed the channel". Yeah, wow. You should be a professional critic. I mean, if all you have to do is watch a few minutes of a half-hour show to come up with an informed opinion...oh wait. You can't. Everyone keeps talking about the commercials, as if they have anything to do with the show. The rights to use the characters were bought by the show's creators. It has nothing to do with Geico. But no one cares anyway, they would just rather hate something they don't understand than make the effort. Gee, that sounds an awful lot like the premise of the show!
    Edited on 10/03/2007 11:17am

kaoken10

[8]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    I wanted to hate it too because I thought it was just milking the popularity of the commercial. But it wasn't bad. Some of the jokes were decent. It was kind of like Friends, but with cavemen. I'm not a regular sitcom watcher, so I probably wont watch every week, but it was better than a lot of other sitcoms out there.

skyvolt2000

[9]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 27
    numberonecubsfa wrote:

Here's the reason for the hate:

1) it replaced George Lopez
    2) the original pilot took unexpected shots at blacks according to those who saw the pilot.

And the real challenge for this show is when Idol kicks off and the remain Tuesday shows premiere. ABC has had a track record of shows getting decent starts and still got axed. They can enjoy this one victory, but don't start partying yet.

JohnnyPromoshot

[10]Oct 7, 2007
    I hated it at first because it was as if they said "To hell with you guys in the commercials" and went to cast a bunch of their own actors without first considering the guys who made the concept of cosmopolitan cavemen funny. Having Jeffrey Daniel Phillips added to the cast at the 11th hour is what made me change my mind and now I will actually watch the show. I also would say that the did a good job re-tuning the show from what they had planned originally. It still needs some work but I think they got off on the right foot.

waltmor

[11]Oct 10, 2007
    • level: 42
    Even this week people are still taking undeserved potshots at it. And the 2nd episode was really funny I thought. Not worth all the criticism being heaped on it. The writing's pretty sharp and the actors are all terrific.

JohnnyPromoshot

[12]Oct 11, 2007
    After seeing two episodes, I can start to realize what the show is aiming for. First off, it is definitely targeted for an older demographic (~18-35, for which I find myself), the reason why many of our more younger members might not understand some of the sexual overtones and implied humor added since the first preview clips were shown months back. Recasting the show has helped tremendously (no longer does it feel like Beavis & Butthead with Encino Man). The addition of Jeff Daniel Phillips as a regular "featured guest" adds a touch of nostalgia by preserving his "commercial-esqe" humor through his 30 second cameo appearances --both well conceived and performed (I loved the Russian website bit). This way, we get a group of guys that can be followed around for a half hour interrupted by a taste of "Geico Sophisticated Caveman"... much like having a couple of sweet jello shots scattered during a night-long beer bender. I think they should consider doing the same with the other actors (Lehr and Webber) and either put them in all together or perhaps interchange depending on the situation (at least keeping Phillips in 2 or more of the scenes). Basically, expect to keep seeing Phillips in his short scenes throughout the next few episodes since it's obvious he isn't being promoted to a main character. I don't mind it this way as long as they keep his bits as funny as they have been. The show all in all is starting to look better. I like the Boss, Mr. Hogan as well as the bald sales associate guy that gets bossed around by his subordinate. I'll keep watching since it is somewhat amusing (and quite bold with "goose stepping" among other unexpected moves), yet there is plenty of room to refine the writing and performance overall (Need $ome idea$? Johnny is always available).

aaron_rogers

[13]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 4
    I don't understand how people can dislike the show. Maybe they don't like the idea of them being cavemen or the commercials seemed to "doom" the show before it started, but I find the show is well written and very enjoyable to watch. I'm guessing it will most likely be getting cancelled, so I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Heylin_Force

[14]Oct 13, 2007
    i absolutely agree. everyone, even people who hadn't even seen it, seemed to give it all the hate they could. i personally found it very enjoyable. i would almost compare this to the simpsons. it really is an inspired and excellent show. i hope it will be around awhile. "you can stop doing your hobo-bear dance for the man!" lol that's great.

nene3985

[15]Oct 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    i was probably one of the few that could not wait until this showed aired, i thought the idea was great. if you actually go deep into the meaning of this show. i love this show and people who don't like it are more likely ignorant to the whole aspect of this show. but again what do i know.

numberonecubsfa

[16]Oct 16, 2007
    I just watched the second episode. That was better than the pilot. This show has some clever writing and could go far if given a chance. But I don't see it happening. There's too much blind hatred of it.

Megaman200798

[17]Oct 18, 2007
    • level: 13
    DrLar wrote:
    As long as the ratings are good, networks don't care about the content, and a show like this with lots of controversy, makes people watch it even more...

Like that awful Kid Nation show, because of the controversy has high ratings and will last long.

Why would something with so much controversy get people watching it?

DrLar

[18]Oct 19, 2007
    Megaman200798 wrote:
    DrLar wrote:

Why would something with so much controversy get people watching it?

Because People are curious, and curiousity killed the cat.. in this case it could keep the cavemen alive.. LOL

I think it's doing good in ratings, approx 9M viewers, not bad, even better than the CW, Fox, etc. LOL

tomatoes1990

[19]Oct 19, 2007
    • level: 12
    ElmoKajaky wrote:
    Hopefully the haters will go away and the fans of this show's quirky humor will get that rating higher...

fans of the show? your not serous are you?

numberonecubsfa

[20]Oct 21, 2007
    tomatoes1990 wrote:
    ElmoKajaky wrote:

fans of the show? your not serous are you?

Quit trolling.