Cavemen

The Cavewoman

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 16, 2007 on ABC

• HEY! When on your third episode, a one episode character is more important than any of your three leads, that's a sign that your show has no future.

I know you've heard this story before. I was bored. There was nothing to do. I was at home and all I had was my computer and my broadband connection. I logged onto ABC.com to see if there was something good to watch. There wasn't. But then I spotted it: Cavemen. I'd heard the idea and said, "That is so damn stupid, I can't possibly think it'll be any good." Surely it couldn't be as bad as I expected it to be. I loaded up "Cavewoman".

It was worse.

The show was more than just "not funny", it was the anti-funny, a show that kills any smile that might cross your lips. For someone who hadn't watched the show it was incomprehensible, and though this can be acceptable if a show has been on for seasons, this was the third episode of a highly episodic show. The episode ended and I had no idea who any of the characters were, just that they were cavemen, that cavemen were just a group of guys hanging around, and that cavewomen had hairy arms and legs. She was in the show more than the three of them. That's insane. She's a one episode character, and her screen time completely overwhelmed the time of all three of the leads combined. The entire story revolved around her. The episode wasn't about the three leads making choices and the consequences they led to, it was about them reacting to how she acted. That's not just bad television, that's bad story telling. I've got sort of a global complaint on the show too. I know that some of you think that it's great because it's dealing with racism or some crap like that, but let's be honest for a second: the entire concept of the show is racist. "Hey, black people! We understand racism now, because we've made a show about unevolved humans!" Yeah, that's on the more racist side of television show concepts.

A one joke concept created a bad show, the bad show had a horrible episode. This is bad television, plain and simple.
  • Much deeper than it looks...

I think we shouldn't just watch that TV show like a plain sitcom. OK, there are Cavemen, burlesque situations.
    But it is a way to see how people respond to someone different. That looks or seems to be different. The question of the embarrasment, of the shame of being seen with someone, going out with someone who's not "of their kind"... stuff like that *do* exist. And if people really see it's stupid, now put a Black man, or an Asian, or a Native, or an Arab, any minority in any country in this world and you'll realize that not only this is stupid, but actually *really* sad.

I hope the show goes on.
  • In this episode, the 3 cavemen get sucked into the newest frozen yogurt craze which mirrors "pinkberry" which is very popular in Los Angeles-- however the question is, do they go for the amazing yogurt, or the hot cavechick behind the counter?

The show was good before this episode, but this made it great! They really need to balance these guys out by keeping giving the girls more to do. Having the 3 guys plus the 3 girls (or in this case 4, if you add maurice and heather!)makes it more like FRIENDS, etc. (only with cavemen)-- but if they want it to stand-out, they have to tap into the "caveman" culture and not ignore it. This episode really did that. It wasn't just about the cavemen standing for some unknown minority. It played up their history and world in a way that made it stand out. Also, it was the guys and the girls this time. Since ABC has been promoting this show as a mandate-- they should have cute and funny chicks in addition to the snarky guy characters. For whatever reason, this episode stood out from the first two because it really seemed to come together-- like a REAL SHOW, rather than a fledging one. Nice job to the writers and the entire cast on this one! I hope they bring the character of Heather back for more... and when will we see a CAVEKID for that matter?
  • And God created Cavewoman!

6.8
    Cavewoman enters Cavemen's life this week. although I miss last week's episode. (I review a episode of "Bones" so no one miss me) this week's episode is cavewomen and she can be mean. so mean that she pushes one caveman around. I didn't like the episode as much as the premiere epsiode, it has enough jokes to keep this episode afloat. so yo can say it was a hit and miss. So far, I enjoy the series. the flintstones jokes are fun to listern too, especially jokes that are aim at Pebbles. Let's hope the show runs it's coarse, because at 8:30 p.m., I turn off the set. No "Carpoolers" tonight.
  • Better than watching real smoothies any day

Lame sitcoms featuring regular modern humans have been getting progressively worse since Cheers and Seinfeld. There are no more Doogie Howsers. I don't even waste my time watching the crap of today. But I gave this shoe a chance out of curiosity and am hoping it doesn't get cancelled. Each episode is better than the last. Rock on Cavemen!!! This review needs to be 100 words long so ROCK ON CAVEMEN!!! Lame sitcoms featuring regular modern humans have been getting progressively worse since Cheers and Seinfeld. There are no more Doogie Howsers. I don't even waste my time watching the crap of today. But I gave this shoe a chance out of curiosity and am hoping it doesn't get cancelled. Each episode is better than the last. Rock on Cavemen!!! This review needs to be 100 words long so ROCK ON CAVEMEN!!!
  • Prematurely hatched.

Catching a glimpse of last night's offerings on 'Cavemen' I was tickled to see a cavewoman, and a rather tastefully showcased one at that. Kudos to the make-up, costume and concept artist. This was a strong, sexy, attractive, earthy, cavewoman, not overdone in order to get cheap laughs. the scene was actually funny. However, in order to generate a buzz to make the show a success right through to syndication, the show is going to have to integrate a political message instead of relying so much on sex. What made the commercials funny was not sex, it was that whole perception thang that cavemen are uncivilized simpletons. Viewers related to the plight of the cavemen because everyone has experienced a misperception, especially of being inferior to another because of looks, ethnicity, race, gender etc. You have a whole opportunity out there in a TV population to reach the hearts and minds of a wider target audience. Nick's character needs to be developed more in the sense that his super-nerd 'brainiac' brilliance should shine through in a laugh out loud way, as a foil to Andy and/or Joel's characters. I realize it's a comedy, but look at Frazier. I mean the show has to give us a view of the world/real life and put it over the top in a compelling way that not only reinforces what we already experienced as humans, but what we don't understand. What sort of situations does an individual who is viewed in society as a minority or as odd go through? Maybe you might consider adding a new writer or 'idea' person like myself who can relate to that unique quality for your project. Message to Theresa Mulligan Rosenthal and Linda Mendoza: I can write a sample script for you to demonstrate what I am talking about. I really think the concept of the show has potential, I invite you to contact me at: tmccrary@ic.sunysb.edu if you want to discuss this further.
  • ... I have to tell you I started watching this show to see just how bad, bad is... However, every week it gets a little better and a little wittier... This show has the potential to become a descent show giving a little more time I think.

I am a little embarrassed to say this… However, this show is growing on me. I like the underlying satire of the show. And to be honest with you… I think the character Nick has the potential to become a great protagonist over the coarse of the show… I am not talking a warm and fuzzy feel for you protagonist but nevertheless a good character to root for… A lot like Frasier in the beginning on Cheers. So please if you guys will go into the show not expecting much you may find that you like the show more then you thought you would…
  • Why God, why did I watch this again?

I was bored silly, so I did something I said I wouldnt do again. Watch CAVEMEN. I actually only watched about 10 minutes of it - 9 minutes 59 seconds too many.

There was a cavewoman, who worked at some fruit drink bar, who liked Joel the caveman, one of the other cavemen got tossed around a room by a cavewoman and dislocated his shoulder. The makeup on this show has only gotten worse - all they do is mess up their hair, stick on thick eyebrows and extra arm and leg hair. Then at the end cavewoman was replaced by a human kid at the fruit drink bar. What happened in between? Dont know dont care.

I cannot believe this show is still on the air. They axed Anchorwoman after 1 episode yet this is still on after 3? CAVEMEN makes Anchorwoman like a good show in comparison. Have I slipped into a parallel universe where really awful shows remain on the air no matter how bad the ratings are? KID NATION hasnt been axed yet either - so maybe the parallel universe thing isnt so crazy after all... LOL!
  • I just can't do it anymore.

5.2
    After being a little excited for this show after the pilot and had some high hopes for it. I simply can not watch this show anymore will definitely be the last one for me until the show either completely flops and they take it off the air as it should be. Or they decide to go a different way with this show and make it a little bit faster pace than it really is. The characters are somewhat developed and although the actors did a pretty good job with the acting, it simply will be the last one and I hope others follow the lead.