Cavemen

The Cavewoman

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Oct 16, 2007 on ABC

• HEY! When on your third episode, a one episode character is more important than any of your three leads, that's a sign that your show has no future.

I know you've heard this story before. I was bored. There was nothing to do. I was at home and all I had was my computer and my broadband connection. I logged onto ABC.com to see if there was something good to watch. There wasn't. But then I spotted it: Cavemen. I'd heard the idea and said, "That is so damn stupid, I can't possibly think it'll be any good." Surely it couldn't be as bad as I expected it to be. I loaded up "Cavewoman".

It was worse.

The show was more than just "not funny", it was the anti-funny, a show that kills any smile that might cross your lips. For someone who hadn't watched the show it was incomprehensible, and though this can be acceptable if a show has been on for seasons, this was the third episode of a highly episodic show. The episode ended and I had no idea who any of the characters were, just that they were cavemen, that cavemen were just a group of guys hanging around, and that cavewomen had hairy arms and legs. She was in the show more than the three of them. That's insane. She's a one episode character, and her screen time completely overwhelmed the time of all three of the leads combined. The entire story revolved around her. The episode wasn't about the three leads making choices and the consequences they led to, it was about them reacting to how she acted. That's not just bad television, that's bad story telling. I've got sort of a global complaint on the show too. I know that some of you think that it's great because it's dealing with racism or some crap like that, but let's be honest for a second: the entire concept of the show is racist. "Hey, black people! We understand racism now, because we've made a show about unevolved humans!" Yeah, that's on the more racist side of television show concepts.

A one joke concept created a bad show, the bad show had a horrible episode. This is bad television, plain and simple.