Celebrity Blackjack

Tuesday 10:00 PM on GSN - Game Show Network Premiered Jul 01, 2004 Between Seasons

Celebrity Blackjack Fan Reviews (2)

6.6
  • Worse movie ever.

Worse movie ever. Well actually that's being very harsh. After all, I'm sure the production company had put a lot of effort in producing this and trashing it like I am doing right now seems downright unfair. However, I can't forgive those who waste my time with something like this. Why did I pick up something called Celebrity Blackjack in the first place?

• Celebrities participate in a series of blackjack tournaments leading to a final tournament in order to win money for the charities they represent.

7.2
    Celebrity Blackjack is part of GSN's "Casino Night" block, along with "Poker Royale" and now "Ballbreakers." It was meant to capitalize on the surge of poker tournaments on television, spawned by the success of the World Series of Poker and "World Poker Tour" broadcasts. However, for many, blackjack doesn't translate as well to a tournament format as poker, and tends to lack in drama what the poker telecasts have.

"Celebrity Blackjack" is hosted by Matt Vasgersian, who also has hosted NBC's "National Heads-up Poker Championship." He is joined by people such as Alex Borstein, Sam Rubin, and Meagan Riordan, who all have knowledge of blackjack; Rubin especially, as he has written books on the subject, and works at a casino himself.

Blackjack is an easy game to learn, and is easily the most popular game in many casinos. However, the strategy used for tournament play is very different from the game most viewers are accustomed to, which can make some of the players' decisions confusing. Plus, the end-game betting has the potential to be so math-intensive that casual viewers might be overwhelmed.

In summary: For people who enjoy blackjack, the poker shows, and celebrity-based game shows, "Celebrity Blackjack" is recommended. For everyone else, it might be work a look, but unless someone is playing that you specifically like, you might not stay tuned very long.