Celebrity Poker Showdown

Tuesday 8:00 PM on Bravo Premiered Dec 02, 2003 In Season

Celebrity Poker Showdown Fan Reviews (26)

• delete this post please

7.8
    delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please delete this post please
  • An entertaining show, even for people who can't play poker!

I started watching this show for David Foley. I don't know how to play poker and never have, but I think I learned a bit from simply watching the show. I find it entertaining for the banter between the celebrities around the table and to see Dave doing his stuff. It's a fun show to watch if your favorite celebrity is on there. A few of mine have been on, like the Arrested Development cast and Michael Ian Black. You can really get into it if you want a particular someone to win. The banter between the celebrities at the poker table is extremely amusing. It's just an all-around entertaining show and you even learn some things about poker!
  • This show is about how these people try to win large amounts of money and get bands.

This show is interesting. Its a great way to learn how to play poker really fast. They show you different ways not to show that you are bluffing. People win tremendous amount of money and bands to prove that they won a world series poker tournament. It is not a show that I would tivo it is just something you watch when your bored and nothing good is on tv.
    The players keep competing to win tons of money some make really drastic risk and lose a lot of money and end up having to try again. This is all played with real money so it's a descent show. I would give this show a 6/10 im rating it kind of harsh though. Can be better depending on the episodes.
  • This is one of the poker shows that got me hooked on poker.

This is a fun show to watch. No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em plus celebrities plus alcohol equals some interesting poker play! It's great to see celebrities when they get serious about the game between all the goofing around. The players (some good, some bad) also earn extra points in my book for raising money for charity. One half-point deduction is for the reality (non-)star game at the beginning of tournament 6. That was the only episode where even the winners were losers! ; ) Another half-point is for the expansion of each episode to two-hours by adding an hour's worth of "padding" (more celebrity interviews, chit-chat, host commentary, etc.) This is a really fun show to watch.
  • Shuffle up and deal.

This show is not that great, but sometimes sure is fun. Phil Gordon and Phil Hellmuth are probably the best Phil's in Texas Hold'em, although personally, I think poker brat is better. Dave Foley also hosts this show with his cheesy jokes and witty one-liners.

The guests usually are interesting, although sometimes it gets annoying since a lot of them know minimal about poker, and it's just a waste of a spot. Chris Katan for example was a horrible player. I don't know why he was even on this show.

Overall, this show isn't that bad, but sometimes it can get boring since the action is at novice level. The championship tables are much better.
  • yea, nobody knows I watch this except for my family...

I first started watching this just because of Dave Foley. ♥ But then I noticed that there were REALLY awesome people in here. Rob and Ray from "Everybody Loves Raymond" were the funniest. They are awesome together. My fave time watching this was when I saw Dave and Phil were getting lonely because nobody got into the Loser Lounge yet so they were getting comfy with each other. I thought it was funny in a cute way. ♥ Oh, Dave Foley...you've always brought joy and laughter to my heart. lol I am a weirdo.

I will continue to watch this...
  • i like poker

5.5
    i hardlys watch this on challenge but they usually put it on later than the other shows, showbiz poker and the 888.com poker but i like texas hold em and its easy to understand i didnt really think of this as a reality program but it is an ok game show i guess
  • Celebrites playing poker.

When I first heard about this being on TV I laughed. To this day I can not belive that I am able to watch this. If this is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to with you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you. Going to get going now to see if poker is on TV !!
  • GOod show. Needs some work though.

I like this show, but it is too long at 2 hours per episode. The poker play and the banter is good, but the discussion of the rules and what beats what is brutally boring. Also, the point where celebrities get knoiwcked out and they go into the back room is badly done. Once they are out they should be lost and forgotten, I don\'t really want to hear from them much anymore - I want to see the game get more exciting.
  • Stars Playing Cards

Celebrity Poker Showdown has some legitimate stars, some familiar faces and some C-list celebrities playing Texas Hold 'Em for charity. While the stars banter at the card table, the show is kept entertaining by the snarky host Dave Foley and his poker expert sidekick Phil Gordon. Mr. Foley keeps the show entertaining and adds some great snide remarks.
  • See celebrities go all in.

I must say that I've been watching "Celebrity Poker Showdown" pretty much since the show first came on Bravo in 2003. At first I watched the show just to see if what celebrities would be playing tournament poker and if they would be any good. However, after watching a few episodes, I found the show to be pretty entertaining and think that it is really cool that the celebs participate on the show and donate their winnings, however much it may be, to their favorite charity. Another thing that I enjoy about the game is that even if the poker play amongst the celebrities may not be the greatest, the way they converse with each other at the table, at times it can be pretty funny. And lastly, what I like about the show is the banter between the hosts, Phil Gordon and Dave Foley. They can deliver some good jokes if they have to. In all, I find "Celebrity Poker Showdown" to be pretty entertaining and think that it's neat to see the celebrities to playing on behalf of their favorite charities.
  • Celebrities drinking free liquor and playing No Limit Texas Hold 'Em for charity! No wonder I love this show. It is hosted by the always hilarious Dave Foley from Newsradio, and I would suggest that everyone who reads this review should give it a try.

Seriously though, this is the only reality tv show I watch. Each episode normally runs for two hours, but I did watch one with Malcolm Jamal Warner that only lasted an hour. After the first hour most of the celebrities have had enough to drink to make them very relaxed and funny (including the host, Dave Foley). I've never watched an episode I didn't enjoy, and I've been watching for the last three seasons. The funniest episode was with Michael Vartan. The jokes Dave made about him had me laughing so hard I was crying, my sides hurt, and I nearly passed out from lack of oxygen. The most recent season had a million dollar prize pool instead of the quarter million dollar prize pool. I watch the show and enjoy learning more about the celebrities, and laughing at them with Dave Foley; but I don't feel guility because it's all for charity.
  • good

this show started of as a joke. the celebs had know idea how to play. it was very sad to watch them. the show has gotten better and so has the play. i hope it keeps going in this direction. i also like the hosts of the show the end
  • I Love Love Love Celebrity Poker. I love poker period.

Bravo's hit original series "Celebrity Poker Showdown" will return for an all-new tournament featuring twenty-five stars competing for the series' highest prize pot ever with a total of one million dollars going to charity. On Thursday, October 13 (9:00-11:00 p.m.ET/PT), the seventh tournament of "Celebrity Poker Showdown" will premiere, consisting of six all-new, two-hour episodes hosted by Dave Foley joined by poker expert Phil Gordon, overseeing celebrities such as Carlos Bernard, Joey Fatone, Gina Gershon, James Woods, Kevin Nealon, Kelli Williams, Oksana Baiul and Dean Cain all competing for serious cash.

• very interesting mix of stars/celebrities playing \"no limit, Texas Hold \'em\" It seems to grab your attention and hold it.

I am getting more and more hooked on this.
    Not a gambler or a poker player, but Phil Gordon is fast becoming my new hero.
    And I have to say some of the guests are simply wonderful. Win or lose, the fact that they will play for charity, and have such a good time, everybody wins, and that includes the viewers.
    I watched when Rosie O\'Donnell,Eddie Cibrian, and Travis Tritt were playing, I laughed till I was almost sick-they were a laugh riot. ANd the card playing was interesting that episode too.
    I enjoy this more and more, and though I really enjoy some guests more than others, it really doesn\'t matter who is playing--these people bring their best into this show, and make it really good for everyone-it is a win/win all the way around.
    And the loser\'s lounge is a kill!! I just can\'t stop laughing at some of the lines they come up with back there.
    And though Phil Gordon may not have been a major celebrity before, he certainly qualifies now, and is fast becoming one of my favorites to watch/listen to. His dry sense of humor is a KILL!! I can\'t stop tuning in.
  • like the show..

6.8
    but they could or should try to get a few bigger stars on there. one of my favs was the one with lauren graham . i liked the one with wanda sykes as well she is funny. i think it would be cool to do a few shows also with a mix of regular people and stars that would be good rality tv since that is bout all that is on anymore.. i love to play texas hold 'em' and to play with some stars would be cool..lol to take "there" money.. he he..
  • The poker show that got me hooked on all the other poker shows.

No-Limit Texas Hold 'Em plus celebrities plus alcohol equals some interesting poker play! It's great to see celebrities when they get serious about the game between all the goofing around. The players (some good, some bad) also earn extra points in my book for raising money for charity. One half-point deduction is for the reality (non-)star game at the beginning of tournament 6. That was the only episode where even the winners were losers! ; ) Another half-point is for the expansion of each episode to two-hours by adding an hour's worth of "padding" (more celebrity interviews, chit-chat, host commentary, etc.) Pardon the pun, but "Bravo" to Bravo for airing what Dave Foley once described as "the show where sucking out and flopping the nuts are activities the whole family can enjoy." [Both of those are poker terms, for those of you with dirty minds]
  • Can be kinda corny, but I'm riveted

I love watching celebs chat it up, Wanda Sykes and Travis Tritt were hysterical. Watching their luck, thinking about how I'd play, and how they don't is so much fun! The commentators can be kinda corny, but then surprise you with an intelligent comment right after a smart remark.

The show reminds you that celebrities sit around chatting and playing just like we do- they talk about the same things, they lose the same way, and when they win big, they love to rub it in!!!

I do have one question- is the food in the loser's lounge better than at the table?
  • Celebrities trying to play Texas Hold'em Poker, and be entertaining while doing it.

I gave it a pretty good rating because when they have a top-knotch group of celebs, they have a really good show. It is truly the celebs that make each episode. I've seen some that are really terrible, and some that are outstanding. One of my favorite episodes was the all West Wing ep. But they've had some where there are one or more truly annoying players. It's not so much how well the celebs actually play, but how fun they make it.

I like Dave and Phil, and I like the "lessons" that you can pick up from Phil if you're paying attention. I also like the "How Would You Play It" hand.
  • 6 celebrities go against eachother in a No Limit texas hold'em game. The winner Gets a golden chip and a seat at the final table to play for 250,000 for there selected Charity !

This show is fun, entertaining and informative for all poker players! The celebrities are funny and always great to watch. The show gives each celebrity a chance to win cash for their personally selected charity. although no celbrity leaves empty handed for their charity, the winner of the table gets to move on for a chance to play for 250,000 for their charity! The show has a more relaxed style of poker compared to some of the other tournaments you may watch (EPT,WPT). It also has some cool little twists such as where we the audience get to play some hands as if we were one of the celebs at the table and instead of showing the other peoples cards, we only see that one selected celeb. Very fun and very entertaining. A MUST see for poker and non-poker players !!
  • With surprisingly good lineups of celebrities playing poker, Celebrity Poker Showdown is an enjoyable show. You can actually learn something about the Texas Hold Em' by watching this program.

If you want to learn how to play (No Limits) Texas Hold Em', and have a few laughs while doing so, then you should check out Celebrity Poker Showdown.

For some reason, I find myself watching this show every day. Kevin Pollack, and on the later tournaments Dave Foley, offer some decent commentary with some occasional laughs, but the golden host on this show is Phil Gordon. He's a professional poker player, and he gives the real poker advice...and you can tell its coming from an expert.

On the other side of the show, the celebrity guests usually shine. In almost every episode I've seen, the group of stars consistently deliver entertaining play and comedic dialogue. And having a losers' lounge for those players bumped out of the game really was a good idea. All of the prizes are for charity, so nobody takes the game too seriously.

Overall, Celebrity Poker showdown has a great laid-back feel, oozing with entertainment. If you try out this show, I guarantee you'll become interested for the remainder of the episode. Who knows, maybe you'll learn a thing or two about playing poker.
  • Its a good idea, but once you run a few episodes you begin to realize that there arn't that many 'Celebrities' who play poker.

I started watching this show a few months back and still occasionally do, but there has, and for as long as it lives, will always have a problem, which is a shortage of celebrities. After a few episodes you start not wanting to watch it because all you are seeing is no name people playing a below average (skill level) game of poker. Don't get me wrong, it is fun to watch when you get comedians and such but stick to TV.com to see who is playing BEFORE you tune in, other wise, you might as well keep watching the World Series of Poker, there you have big names playing a GOOD game!
  • Shuffle up and deeeeeeeeeal!!!!

I love this show! From the two masterful (though sometimes stammering) hosting of Dave Foley (sorry, Kevin Pollak!) and Phil Gordon, and the exciting game and celebrities they bring to play it (who could ever forget the confontation between Brad Garrett and Ray Romano?), This is definately one worth staying up at 3:00 in the morning for. Now nothing else to do but to bring it out to Robert Thompson to begin the game with...
  • Good Celebs most of the time but awful audience participation.

The show is pretty entertaing but some of the celebs should not leave the house without a writer and when I say writer, not the Bruce Vilanch kind. Some of these actors are the corniest people. One in particular is Brad Garrett. We get it already, you have a deep and awkward voice. And when the guest aren't spewing awful Robin Williams-Esque physical comedy bits, then we have the crowd that won't shut up during every move and play. Every push of the chips by a player needs to be an "All In" according to them and every raise is a standing ovation. They should really just have a guy holding up a "Silence" sign like in golf. All in all, the show is enjoyable to watch most of the time.
    On a sidenote, would it hurt a Celebrity to ever make a noble jesture and match the money they win and donate that also with the winnings. It's not like they don't have the money.
  • A bad showing of a great game.

In a world where poker is widely played and watched. This show is a very bad example of good poker. I play poker..alot..for a long time now. And other than Phil Gordon's experance on the poker tour, the other host is such a morron when it comes to poker. Along with that there is so much dumb table talk that would not happen at a real poker table. The comentary that the two host give durring the game is so bad it sounds alot like two John Maddens doing poker comentary. The players are usually really bad players, and the best players don't win because they get sucked into a bad hand just because the other person gets lucky with a river card, or gets "pockets" but bets crazy just like they would with a "Doyel Bruson". Only once in a while there is a game that is good, but it is few and far between. The best game of each season is the champonship show just because at least all these players have one at least one game, and have had some practice. If you are going to be on this show, LEARN POKER.

"Quote Nevermore"
  • Six Celebrity's play a Short-handed, Sit-N-Go style No-Limit Hold'em variation of Poker. Professional poker player Phil Gordon, along with "Kid's In The Hall" alum, Dave Foley give commentary.

Each season gets progressively better. With Phil Gordon on Commentary, you get a pros insight to the biggest game in town right now! With Kevin Pollak fired after season one, Dave had some small shoes to fill. The chemistry is there between the two, and a big comedic factor is added to the celebrity mix, which makes for a very strange game of Poker.