Chappelle's Show

Ep. #101

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Jan 22, 2003 on Comedy Central

• I think the best sketch in the pilot episode was the one about Clayton Bigsby.

When the epsiode started, yeah I thought it was funny and that it was worth watchin again but I had no idea what was in store. When they eventually got to the Clayton Bigsby sketch, i damn near pissed my pants I laughed so hard. Some people think that it was really offensive and I can't knock them for that because everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you dont like it, dont watch it. It's as simple as that. I've been a fan of Dave Chappelle for quite some time now and this sketch was an example of why I've been a fan for such a long time.
  • A great start to a great show.

• Pure craziness in the series opener, with five skits from hysterical parodies to the bluntly controversial.

Dave Chapelle's show debuted in 2003 and was firing on all cylinders right out of the box. The stand-up comedian and actor landed his own show with a resoundingly lucrative contract, and the public wondered if he could live up to the buzz.

He could, and more.

The first show is almost note-for-note perfect. Dave skewered the less-than-stellar service at a certain copy store chain, with a 'training video' showing the manager actually telling new employees to take the low road in everything they did. Clerks swear at customers, deliberately botch jobs and mess up the bathroom. It's not that far off from real life...

The show switches modes to stark political satire as Dave touches a very raw nerve with the racial theme in 'Clayton Bigsby--Black White Supremacist.' You'll think those words don't even belong together--and they don't, but Dave mocks the prejudice by showing how it is that people could possibly get into that bizarre situation.

Dave Chapelle will put your mind in a crazy place and then make you double over with laughter. He is deeply unconventional, and that's good. You won't believe that you find yourself liking this stuff, but you'll be repeating his lines wherever you go.

There's nobody like him.
  • the chapelle show starts off with a bang

this episode is really great. the plot of the first skit was hilarious about the mitsubishi comercial. then theres the pop copy corperation decent but not the best. oiverall this episode deserves a 9.5 for its not so perfect plot in the pop copy instruction comercial. i would give it a 10 if not for that.
  • Brilliant Pilot!

This is a fantastic start to what is a brilliant skit show.
    There were 5 skits, but far and away the best one was Clayton Bigsby the blind white supremacist. I was laughing so much I was in tears!

When he took off his mask and a guys head exploded I was in some swerious pain, my stomach was hurting that bad!

Another good one was the popycopy skit which shows employees how to piss off the customers.
  • A series classic because it is the first and what some call the most controversial episode of the season.

This is a clear example of why Chappelle Show is so funny. It may offend some but it is absolutely hilarious with Dave\'s take on Nat King Cole, the Mitsubishi commercials and racism. Most thought that after seeing the Clayton Bigsby sketch that the show would get cancelled or the FCC would be on its producer\'s ass. It was so breakthrough and hysterical because it showed a black-white supremicist who was blind. No one but Chappelle could think of something like this and no one but him could deliver it so good. It was sketch comedy at its best because it was unafraid to go where no television show dared to go.
  • Well, it's the first episode for the Dave Chappelle show, and I must say it was pretty good.

There was 5 sketches in the very first episode of the Dave Chappelle Show. I'd have to say the funniest one of them all was the Popcopy one, in my opinion. I'll give you a breakdown of each one of those sketches.

The opening sketch, the first in the history of the Dave Chappelle show was the Mitsubishi Jab, where there's a look-a-like of that annoying girl from the Mitsubishi ads. She's dancing weirdly, and Dave makes fun of her and kicks her out of the car. This sketch goes on for a bit longer, and that's where the funny parts happen. I'd rate this sketch a 9/10, for the sudden nudity.

The next sketch was the Popcopy one, and as I said that was probably the funniest sketch of the show. It was a video for all the new employees at Popcopy, and how to act with the customers. This next quote should give you an idea of what it's about:
    Dave as Popcopy Man: People ask why do this? Because ****'em that's why. 9.5/10

This next skit was featuring Nat King Cole. Dave wanted to prove that female abuse was way before hip hop, so he featured and showed a video from Nat King Cole's Christmas. Now, I'm sure you get where this is going. 8.5/10

The next skit was the home stenographer one. This one was good, because it had one funny ass quote, and at the end when they mentioned the travel stenographer, I cracked up because the travel stenographer was a midget! If you love midgets, this is a sketch to watch!;) 8/10

The next skit was the longest, and probably the second funniest. It was called the Black KKK, where Dave plays a black white supremacist. He doesn't know that he is black because when he was a kid, the blind home told him he was white like all the other children. Dave ends up growing up being a member of the KKK, writing 6 anti-black books, and being an icon for white people. This sketch was hilarious because of all the irony, and how he always ended up shouting something anti-black, and the reactions of the people surrounding him was just hilarious. The reactions of others when they see his face is also very funny, definitely a must-see episode for all. Of course, there is a lot of swearing, but that's not that bad.;) 9/10

That wraps up the very first Dave Chappelle episode. It was definitely a hilarious episode, and I suggest to everyone to watch a re-run of it anytime you can. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.