Chappelle's Show

Ep. #106

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Feb 26, 2003 on Comedy Central

• "The Mad Real World" - great idea.

One of my roommates brought home a DVD of “Chappelle’s Show” last night. I had never seen the show before, so I sat down to watch for awhile. I didn’t really find it that funny, but I was interested by one particular skit, “The Mad Real World.” Dave has noticed that on MTV’s “The Real World,” there is often just one black roommate in the house. That roommate generally has a breakdown and is kicked off of the show for the safety of the remaining cast. Dave wonders what would happen if things were the other way around and there was only one white roommate. I have a genuine moment of “hey, that’s a really good point,” so I stick around through the episode.
    A naïve, hearty-looking young white man is introduced to his new roommates, “the six craziest black people around,” in “The Mad Real World: Hoboken.” TyRee, Tron, Lisa, Zondra, and Faze Z. proceed to indimidate, mock, and abuse poor Chad. A houseguest named Lysol claims Chad’s bed, everyone sleeps with Chad’s girlfriend, and TyRee stabs Chad’s father. It’s still not all that funny, but there are a few good moments, and the commentary reveals that everyone was smoking actual pot while filming the episode. One can watch nearly the entire skit at the “Chappelle’s Show” website.
COMEDY