Chappelle's Show Forums

Comedy Central (ended 2006)

Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X

typhoon_2099

[1]Dec 4, 2006
    • level: 3
    I'm having trouble understanding this joke. I looked up Bryant Gumbel and Malcolm X on wikipedia to get an idea but I still don't understand why Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X. Is it just because he's never really said anything bad on tv (until the Wayne Brady sketch)? I don't get how him being normal does that to Bryant Gumbel.

Is there something I'm missing?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SunsprayHoney

[2]Dec 6, 2006
    • level: 12
    Bryant Gumbel is considered to be a very "white" black man, and by that I mean he acts stereotypical white. By this Negrodamus was saying Wayne Brady is so "white" that he makes someone who's already really "white" look like Malcolm X( a very "black" man).

TheDiamondDog

[3]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 61
    Yeah.  Gumbel acts more like how a white man is expected to act.  Malcolm X could be very extreme sometimes.  Exactly like how SSH said it, with the way Brady acts, it makes Gumbel look like an activist.

typhoon_2099

[4]Dec 9, 2006
    Thank you very much! I was understanding the whole Wayne Brady "white"ness thing, but didn't know about the Bryant Gumbel "white"ness thing. I understand it now. Might watch that joke again just so I can actually laugh at it. I might even point at the screen and go "I get that". Then again I might just not bother, jokes become less funny when they're explained, with the exception of "Why did the baker have smelly hands?"

FastLikeMe

[5]Sep 26, 2007
    Why DID the baker have smelly hands?