Charlie Brown

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Aired Unknown Oct 01, 1966 on CBS

• The annual visit to the pumpkin patch with Linus along with all the Halloween celebrations with Charlie and the gang.

I was 13 when this was first shown on TV and that was close to the perfect age for it. Actually it might have even been better if I were 3 or 4 years younger but I enjoyed it greatly being a Peanuts fan. The story revolves around Linus's whimsical creation of the "Great Pumpkin," a Halloween version of Santa Claus. I always wondered how Schultz came up with this creation but since he did it has become an icon of Halloween. Linus's innocence in all this makes it so special, he honestly believes in the Great Pumpkin no matter what anyone says. There is a great counterpoint to this innocent yet naive belief with Sally's retort to his question about aren't all little girls sweet, innocent, and believing. The story also follows the Peanuts' gangs Halloween escapades with Charlie Brown once again being the brunt of many jokes and failures. I think I relate a bit to Charlie Brown some in this respect. I believe this is also the first time in Peanuts that we have Snoopy going off on his WW1 flying ace story line. The way they blend this in to the episode is quite nice. For me as well the way they do the background really lends a nippy Halloweenish fall air to the feeling you get from the show. And the denouement with Linus proclaiming next year he is going to find the most sincere pumpkin patch in the world ends the show on just the right note.
  • Linus convinces Sally that the Great Pumpkin will give her candy on Halloween night.

6.3
    I was watching this when Katelynn, my brother's girlfriend was babysitting us, we watched this. I saw that Linus and Lucy were getting a pumpkin and then Lucy cut off the top and made Linus cry, with the funeral of the pumpkin his sister cut was his idea of the great pumpkin. He tells his idea to Sally. On Halloween night, Sally and Linus (her sweet-babboo) sit in a pumpkin patch, and wait for the great pumpkin while Lucy, Marcie, Peppermint Patty, and Charlie Brown. Charlie Brown gets a rock for every single house he trick-or-treated at, then, Lucy tells Linus and Sally that they missed trick-or-treating , and they are going to miss the Halloween party, and they do. Snoopy gate-crashes by hiding in the bobbing for apples, bucket, and when Lucy was bobbing for apples, she picks up the apple with Snoopy on it with her mouth. And then when Shroeder was playing the piano, Snoopy was dancing but at the end he started to cry. At he pretends to be the great pumpkin but Sally realizes she was tricked, and then she started to cry.
  • I got a Rock!

Another memorable Peanuts special. the special first came out in 1966, almost one year after "A Charlie Brown Christmas." this time the special revolves around Linus who believe that the Great Pumpkin rises from the pumpkin patch to give stuff to the kids. that's Linus' view and he can welcome to it. the only person that can believe him is Lucy. it's Snoopy as the World War I ace battling the Red Baron, Charlie Brown getting all those rocks in his bag. I hope the bag is strong or it will be a very long night. did Linus meet the Great Pumpkin? Why don't you watch and find out.
  • These movies are classics, I called my Brother & sister so their kids could watch it and I even watched a little of bit of it this year and I'm 29 years old.

The Great Pumpkin will always be a classic that poor Linus just sitting out there. I would like to see something new even though Charles Schultz has past away. They said there was a new one, that would be intersting different writers and voices, probably won't be as good, but some of these kids won't know the difference anyways. I would like to see something happen to Lucy, to show kids bad things happen to you when your a jerk, I know they can't have something fall on her which I'm sure alot of people would like to see, but just a little justice would be nice. They also could have something with mostly Snoopy, that dog rules. Well that was a fun blast from the past but I'm done.
  • This is perhaps a little overrated, but entirely charming nonetheless.

People everywhere know "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", and consider it one of the best. But they consider it one of the best not because it is the best, but because they've only seen two Peanuts specials, the other being "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Those two are the most famous. Are they the most famous because they are the best? No. They are the most famous only because they are for the biggest holidays.

That being said, this is a very delightful show. The storyline is a little weak, but there is so much about it that makes that a minor detail. It is a very colorful show, with all sorts of reds and oranges and purples. The cel animation is ten times better than today's CGI. There are a few amusing moments. And Vince Guaraldi's whimsical jazz is accompanied by woodwinds, making the "Great Pumpkin Waltz" and "Linus and Lucy" very pleasing to the ears. If you don't like the story, just watch it for the music and animation.

Everyone ought to see this at least once.
  • "Oh, Great Pumpkin! Where are you?"

This delightful Halloween classic is one of my all-time favorite Peanuts specials! Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Lucy and Sally were never more charming as they are in this feature!

It's Halloween time and once again Linus plans to forego trick-or-treating in order to sit in the pumpkin patch awaiting the arrival of The Great Pumpkin. Charlie Brown's little sister, Sally, has been in love with Linus for years. She breaks out in hearts whenever he's around! So when Linus invites Sally to wait in the pumpkin patch with him, she readily agrees. The rest of the Peanuts gang enjoys an evening of trick-or-treating as well as a trip over to Violet's house for a big Halloween party while Linus and Sally miss all the fun. It's no big surprise that the Great Pumpkin never makes an appearance, and in the end Linus must deal with Sally's wrath and the ridicule of the rest of the Peanuts gang.

After almost ten years of watching this special I never get tired of seeing it! The scenes where the kids are trick-or-treating and Charlie Brown receives nothing but rocks are both heart wrenching and hilarious at the same time. And one of my very favorite scenes in the entire program comes at the very end, when Lucy must get out of bed and go out to the pumpkin patch to bring poor, shivering Linus inside and put him to bed.

This is one of the best holiday programs ever! Don't miss it!