Charlie Brown

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Aired Unknown Oct 01, 1966 on CBS

• The annual visit to the pumpkin patch with Linus along with all the Halloween celebrations with Charlie and the gang.

I was 13 when this was first shown on TV and that was close to the perfect age for it. Actually it might have even been better if I were 3 or 4 years younger but I enjoyed it greatly being a Peanuts fan. The story revolves around Linus's whimsical creation of the "Great Pumpkin," a Halloween version of Santa Claus. I always wondered how Schultz came up with this creation but since he did it has become an icon of Halloween. Linus's innocence in all this makes it so special, he honestly believes in the Great Pumpkin no matter what anyone says. There is a great counterpoint to this innocent yet naive belief with Sally's retort to his question about aren't all little girls sweet, innocent, and believing. The story also follows the Peanuts' gangs Halloween escapades with Charlie Brown once again being the brunt of many jokes and failures. I think I relate a bit to Charlie Brown some in this respect. I believe this is also the first time in Peanuts that we have Snoopy going off on his WW1 flying ace story line. The way they blend this in to the episode is quite nice. For me as well the way they do the background really lends a nippy Halloweenish fall air to the feeling you get from the show. And the denouement with Linus proclaiming next year he is going to find the most sincere pumpkin patch in the world ends the show on just the right note.