Charmed

A Paige from the Past

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 17, 2002 on The WB

• A Paige from the Past

A Paige from the Past was a great episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the story was engaging and full of action, humor and magical chaos. It was intriguing to watch Phoebe and Cole taken over by ghosts who then go on a crime spree while Paige and Leo go to Paige's past to deal with the death of her parents. The spirit who sent them there was a cool concept. I really liked all the character development and look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Paige's past pain and ghosts marry?

This is a moderately good mix of drama fleshing out Paige's character and comedic danger involving Phoebe and Cole being possessed by ghosts.

This is actually quite similar to the episode in Season 7 when Paige and Brody go back to when his parents are killed, and of course, it bears similarities with other trips into the past. The Charmed One as an awkward teen thing has been done before, but Rose still pulls off all the necessary melodrama with flying colors. Also, the actors who get the stint as her parents are very convincing. This leads to a strong finish when Paige is faced with the inevitability of their death along with the discovery that her magic saved her. It is also a strong plus for this part of the episode that Leo is along with Paige to help her out. We have also seen the ghostly possession subplot many times. It is given a new twist here when Cole and Phoebe's desire to marry is twisted in with it. Besides the fun Julian had with the role, the best part of this storyline is the fact that Piper and Darryl are given a rare chance to work together, with no one else around to help. In fact, Darryl got a strong part in this episode, and I loved when he told Cole in the beginning that without the energy balls, he can take him. The ending of this subplot is as strong as the other thread. Good thing once again that Leo came back around to heal someone.
  • Paige has always felt responsible for the deaths of her parents in a car accident and, thanks to Leo, we find out why.

Paige has not really been what you would call a 'good' girl. She is quite a free spirit as an adult, and when she takes a trip back to her teenage past courtesy of Leo, we find that she was a pretty difficult young lady as well, but nothing out of the ordinary for most teens.

Her parents can't seem to control her, nor can they seem to understand her, particularly her tantrums, refusal to go to school and not liking or listening to any of their rules. All in a day's work for most parents but Mr. and Mrs. Matthews wouldn't be alone in being close to the end of their rope with a teenager!

As the family are driving along, they are having quite a heated argument when they are involved in a car accident. Paige's parents are killed but she is miraculously thrown clear and is relatively unscathed.

Leo is able to show her that the reason she was thrown free of the wreckage was because she orbed out and also able to prove that the accident would have happened, even if the argument hadn't been taking place. Paige feels a great deal better.

The end is pretty cheesy, but it lifts Paige's burdens, so that's the main thing.
  • Get with it, it's the 90s!

It's a pity Brad et al didn't have the gahonies to dedicate this entire episode to Paige and her 1994 shenanigans. Yeah, Alyssa and Julian have a lot of fun as Lulu and Franky, and they're admittedly fun to watch, too, but the subplot felt entirely superfluous to the nit and grit of the episode. Once again, it's the writers' lack of a backbone that makes what could have been one of the show's strongest hours, into a criminally average episode. Rose? Easily your best performance to date (that's including everything she's been in outside of the show). The idea of Paige going back to the past screamed cliché, but having the youngest sister try and save her dead parents, and managing to change the outcome, only for them to die under similar circumstances, is blisteringly cruel, and yet incredibly powerful. I can only imagine the impact it would have had, had the whole episode centered on her visit to the past. Unfortunately, it all just feels rushed, just so we can make time for a subplot not worth mentioning, which is a shame. It's the episode that almost.
  • A Real Paige Turner

A Paige From The Past-With Leo as her guide, Paige goes back in time to her teen years, in an attempt to resolve her feelings about the accident that killed her parents. Meanwhile, Piper must prevent ghosts, who have inhabited Phoebe's and Cole's bodies, from fulfilling their mission.

One of the most surreal episodes from Charmed and featuring Rose McGowan's finest performance on the series to date, "A Paige From Past" centers around Charmed's newest sister and makes her story quite captivating. Unlike complete drivel that was "A Knight to Remember For Sucking", this is the first real indepth episode that Paige gets and it was well worth the wait. Rose is completely heartbreaking throughout as Paige must deal with the loss over her parents and her performance alone makes the story convincing. The journey to your past storyline worked well and Rose look surprisingly 8 years with her grudge clothes with the braces. All the guest stars are also wonderful with M. Scott Wilkinson and Lisa Darr who are incrediblly believeable as Paige's parents. You can just see all the concern and stress of parenthood they convey in their performances. Brian Kruase is also touching as Leo when he plays Paige's guide through her past. The scene where Paige breaks down after witnessing her parent's death again is powerful, especially Leo's words to her about how it was suppose to happen and it was her destiny. With such an excellent main storyline, it's no suprise that sub-plot failed to be even half as interesting. Cole and Phoebe being possessed by 50s southern bak robbers named Franky and Lulu was boring at best! It's only a sorry plot device used to get Phoebe to finally accept Cole's marriage proposal, but we knew she would say yes anyway. The episode ends with a moving conclusion as Paige reunites with her parents who reveal they have always been proud of her and have been watching her every step of the way. All and All, "A Paige From The Past" is a truly wonderful family drama not seen on Charmed in a while at that point and Rose finally feels like she belongs on the series.
  • great episode centering around paige definitely one of my favoirtes surrounding her

this is one of my favorites centering around paige the other one that i really liked was the evil enchantress and much as i like the whole vanquish evil every week deal nice to have a break from it. it also shows that paige has issues that makes her more human than her predecessor by strides. this shows you why paige is the way she is another great stroke on the part of the producers which is Brad Kern and probably holly marie combs and alyssa milano by this time. this was brillant. I think this episode ROCKED!!!

sincerely,

Selena Morganstern
  • Diamonds are a ghost's best friend

Despite the name, this instalment is not all about Paige, it's actually two separate storylines, one focused on Paige and one on Phoebe.

Paige's story sees her travel back to the day her parents died in a car crash. It tells us a lot about where she's come from and features some lovely acting from Rose, including some highly believable tears. Good as it is, though, it doesn't have the thrill of other time travel episodes, and that 'troubled teen' thing has been done before with both Prue and Phoebe. Given the air date (not long after September 11th), it's interesting that they chose to make Paige's father a fireman.

Phoebe's story sees her and Cole possessed by the ghosts of a couple of lawbreakers from the fifties. I think it's supposed to be lighthearted but I actually found them rather sinister. As soon as I saw 'Lulu' steal the ring from the jewellers I knew how the episode was going to end. Didn't stop me enjoying the shotgun wedding though, and top marks to Alyssa and Julian for not overdoing the southern accents.

This is a decent hour which avoids the demon plot / subplot rut. I particularly like the character combinations; Paige goes off with Leo while Piper and Darryl sort out Cole and Phoebe. If anything, there's too much action.

Clyde. What was he about? And what was that ridiculous insult Leo came up with to summon him? Is that really the best our writer could manage?

So Cole wants to be a cop now, does he? Nice idea, mate, but you defo need to work on that interview technique.
  • Paige goes back n time to change er parents death...

Paige begins to feel guilty for her parents death so she and leo go back in time to see why they actually died. she seemed really cool back then. i really liked her room. paige will not let her parents die so she tries to change the past. Cole and Phoebe are possesed by the ghosts of Franky and Lulu. It is so funny with their weird accents. They want to get married so they go on a wedding crime spree. At the end when Paige sees her parents it is so great. This was such a good episode in terms of Paige.
  • Paige feeling like she was responsible for her parents death, goes back in time when her parents were killed With Leo as her guide. Meanwhile Phoebe and Cole are possessed by two ghost who want to get married!

This was a fantasic episode. It was a well written. It has to be one of my favourite episodes. It was great because we get to learn more about Paige's past. It was quite an emotional episode. Rose Mcgowan is an excellent actress. It was funny how Phoebe and Cole got possessed by those ghosts.
    EXCELLENT EPISODE!
  • Great episode, we finaly see Paige's past !!

Guided by Leo, Paige journeys back to her high school days, hoping to confront and overcome her guilt over the accident that killed her adoptive parents. In the process, Paige recalls her first awareness of her special powers. Meanwhile, back in the present, Piper must stop the marriage between Phoebe and Cole -- or rather, the marriage between the evil spirits presently possessing Phoebe's and Cole's bodies!
  • why didnt they ask clyde to take them back before Prue got killed and get to see her one last time.

Clyde took Leo and Paige to the past he asked if Phoebe and Piper wanted to go back and see anyone why didnt they say they want to go see Prue, I never understood that part, the episode was good and all but they should have done that for the episode...
  • A brilliant epidsode, much the same as the entire season. This episode takes you back into Paige's past in order for her to confront her parents deaths and assure herself that she was not responsible for their fate.

This episode almost had me in tears! Paige's journey into the past showed what a brat she had been as a teenager and it was so sad that her parents died not knowing how much she loved them. She got some closure when they announced they did love her and they just wanted to help her. They all had a family hug and though Paige tried preventing their death, she found out it was their fate and there was nothing she could do.
    It was very touching at the end when she met them again in ghost form. A 10/10 episode!
  • we get to learn more about paige...what happened to her parents and what made her who she is.

FRANKIE AND LULU!!! hahahah

Piper(to Phoebe and Cole who have been possessed by ghosts): Alright, enough with the pet names and the accents, and the kitchen. And could you come up with something better than Lulu, it sounds like a poodle.

When Paige sees a car accident and a car explode, she wont move when the memories about her parent's death arise in her head. to help paige, Leo summons clyde, the ghost of the past, to bring her back to the day her parents died and realize that it wasn't her fault.

Meanwhile, two ghost lovers escape from clyde's door thing and possess Phoebe and Cole's bodies.

this one was pretty cool.

phoebe and cole are gettin married!! yayyy.
  • Pheobe & Cole are getting married!

This episode was fantastic.

Paige & Leo venture into the Past so that she can relive her final hours with her parents before they died in a car accident and to find out if the accident was her fault or not.

Meanwhile in the present 2 ghosts who have unfinished buisiness escape from the past & possess Pheobe & Cole and Piper & Daryl have to deal with them on their own.

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw how Paige looked in the past. Her hair was awful.

After Cole almost dies because Daryl was forced to shoot him, Pheobe asks him to ask her to marry him again and she says yes.
  • Rebel Without a Clue

Featuring what could be the best Charmed performance by Rose McGowan, A Paige From the Past is the first episode to really get under the skin of Charmed's newest sister, whose back-story hadn't really been evolved on previously.

The episode sees Paige and Leo journeying to the past when Paige freezes in front of a car accident. Back in the past, Paige must relive the painful deaths of her parents, who were killed in a car crash. Meanwhile, in the present, Phoebe and Cole are possessed by ghostly lovers.

Though the revelation that Paige was an "outsider" in her teen years and the overdone "outsider" bedroom and the "outsider" clothing amount to nothing but clichés, this episode helps you finally sympathize with her and her emotions. Writer Daniel Cerone creates a character who deeply regrets how she treated her family back in the early 90's and in a very un-Charmed way, Paige realizes she can't save her parents from imminent death. Compared to many other Charmed hours, death is handled in a mature, believable way in this episode, and it makes it all the more dramatic and saddening.

The subplot involving Frankie and Lulu is less successful, mainly due to the fact that the characters feel a lot like filler material. It also doesn't help that the storyline is neither dramatic or funny and both Alyssa Milano and Julian McMahon seem bored throughout.

Despite the pointless subplot, A Paige From the Past is one of season four's first really excellent episodes, featuring a powerful performance from Rose McGowan and some poignant writing.

Director: James L Conway
    Writer: Daniel Cerone
    Rating: B+
  • It’s all about Paige.

Wow. This episode is one of the most gripping and well written in Charmed history. The main story is about Paige and her blaming herself for her parent’s death. So Leo decides to take her back to the past to see what really happened. We follow Paige and Leo during the trip in 1994, and see how things were for Paige back then. Meanwhile Cole is searching for some action I his life and struggles with the fact that Phoebe postponed his proposal. He and Phoebe get possessed by some criminal ghosts and set out on a spree to get married.

The main plot of this story is incredibly gripping and touching and Rose gives one of her most stunning performances in the series, and really proves that she belongs here. The scene with the fire and the car and her panic attack in the beginning was pure genius, the one where she’s confronted by her sisters and tells the truth is even better, and the scene where she actually sees what happened to her parents is beyond well acted and written. It’s perfection.

The subplot about Cole and Phoebe (or rather Frankie and Lulu) is silly, but in a good way. Julian and Alyssa give great performances and portray the evil ‘50s criminals in a fun and fresh way. I also enjoyed Julian and Dorian together, and they really connected in a way. They felt real together and nothing was strained.
    The malevolent spirit Clyde (great name, by the way) was a bit over the top, but still fun and easy to remember.

This is the first time we really get to see some things from Paige’s past and we really get to know both her as a character and Rose as an actor. Besides her perfect emotional performance in the episode, we get to see that she’s very good at comedy, and the occasional humorous line is delivered perfectly. Add her incredible looks and you get why Paige is my favourite sister.

All in all, this was a well-written and gripping yet fun and sweet episode. One of the reasons why season 4 is my favourite season.
  • Paige's story heartbreaking, Cole & Phoebe's story funny!

We get a peek at what makes Paige who she is. Watching her desperately try to change the past just breaks your heart. But it is interesting how they have it that whatever she did only reinforced the events she was trying to change. In other episodes they are so hyper about not effecting history, but here it didn't matter. I liked that she found out her parents knew that she turned her life around and she was able to see that the accident was not her fault. Then she could get over her shame about her past.
    Cole & Phoebe being possessed by criminal ghosts so they can finish their last "job" of getting married is a hoot! Her speaking with that "Blanche" accent and the make out session in front of Piper put me in stitches. It was nice that it helped Phoebe decide about Cole though.
  • Making lemonade out of lemons

Many people disregard Paige and want Prue, but how else can we have such a great episode if Prue was still around?
    This tells the story of Paige feeling gulity about losing her adoptive parents in a car crash.
    She tries to go back and make everything right, but it happens anyway.
    Rose McGowan looked great in her 1994 outfit.
    This is one of two bright spots in a otherwise sucky season for the witchy sisters.
  • Teenage traumas come to light

Season 4, was very much a 'make or break' time for Charmed with the introduction of new sister Paige. In my opinion this is one of the episodes that helped Season 4 land on its feet.

Watching Paige go back to the day her adoptive parents died was very revealing about her character, her teenage self very much being portrayed as a 'rebel' who caused her parents all sorts of trouble. I found it amusing that all that was needed to transform Paige back into a teenager was a change in costume and the addition of braces.

Paige's part of the episode was touching and also heartbreaking, seeing her desperate attempts to change the past and prevent her parents' death, but nevertheless revealing as it turns out that it was her whitelighter half that saved her that day.

The comic relief in this otherwise poignant episode is a result of Phoebe and Cole being possesed by ghosts who run about town commiting crimes to aid them getting married as Piper and Daryll chase after them .

Also funny, is Leo's attempt at insults, which in reality are not so much insulting as they are embarrasing. Grown men should not be reduced to using what pretty much boils down to "you smell," as a derrogatory term.

I feel that this episode was a reminder that Charmed isn't always about demons but that it can also be very family orientated which is why I feel it is one of this season's finest installments.