Charmed

A Paige from the Past

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Jan 17, 2002 on The WB

• It’s all about Paige.

Wow. This episode is one of the most gripping and well written in Charmed history. The main story is about Paige and her blaming herself for her parent’s death. So Leo decides to take her back to the past to see what really happened. We follow Paige and Leo during the trip in 1994, and see how things were for Paige back then. Meanwhile Cole is searching for some action I his life and struggles with the fact that Phoebe postponed his proposal. He and Phoebe get possessed by some criminal ghosts and set out on a spree to get married.

The main plot of this story is incredibly gripping and touching and Rose gives one of her most stunning performances in the series, and really proves that she belongs here. The scene with the fire and the car and her panic attack in the beginning was pure genius, the one where she’s confronted by her sisters and tells the truth is even better, and the scene where she actually sees what happened to her parents is beyond well acted and written. It’s perfection.

The subplot about Cole and Phoebe (or rather Frankie and Lulu) is silly, but in a good way. Julian and Alyssa give great performances and portray the evil ‘50s criminals in a fun and fresh way. I also enjoyed Julian and Dorian together, and they really connected in a way. They felt real together and nothing was strained.
    The malevolent spirit Clyde (great name, by the way) was a bit over the top, but still fun and easy to remember.

This is the first time we really get to see some things from Paige’s past and we really get to know both her as a character and Rose as an actor. Besides her perfect emotional performance in the episode, we get to see that she’s very good at comedy, and the occasional humorous line is delivered perfectly. Add her incredible looks and you get why Paige is my favourite sister.

All in all, this was a well-written and gripping yet fun and sweet episode. One of the reasons why season 4 is my favourite season.