Charmed

Apocalypse Not

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 11, 2000 on The WB

• Apocalypse, Not

"Apocalypse, Not" was a superb episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the sisters encounter the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. It was interesting to see how they operated in modern times incorporating technology and the ancient art of war. Their command center with the Omega symbol was pretty great. The sisters and Leo scramble for a way to find out what is going on and how to stop the world from ending. There was action, drama, and lots of character and plot development. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Apocalypse Not Good...

This is the famous, or infamous, episode with the running clock. Remember the MASH episode with the running clock? That was really good. This, unfortunately, is not.

I give credit here that nearly everything in this episode is done dramatically. In many ways, it has the budget and feel of a season finale. That makes sense since the fate of the entire world is at stake here. First of all, the 4 Horsemen, for being the very bringers of doom foretold in Revelations, are completely unimpressive and inspire zero dread, and it isn't the actors' fault, as they are actually pretty good, especially Strife. No, the problem is the characters themselves. What was with the War Room with the 4 pictures of the Horsemen posted up on a board? Hahaha... That was ridiculous. And was the world anywhere NEAR the actual apocalypse? It sure didn't appear so. If the apocalypse was supposed to happen at 7pm, then it didn't appear that the world got the memo. Frankly, an end of the world type of conflict needed more than an hour to get set up. They might have been able to pull it off in a 2 part episode. Maybe, but not here.

I really appreciate that Brian Krause got more to do here, but Leo was completely out of character this entire episode. He comes back from the Elders to pass along the advice that the sisters work with evil, and then he spends the rest of the episode trying to convince the sisters that they shouldn't follow that very advice. Leo and the sisters work with evil several times later on. No problem. He also punches out a mortal to steal his outfit. Hahaha... I did like that part though. Yes, in the end Leo was just representing the underlying theme to the episode: that the sisters had grown so close that they were losing sight of the greater good. It isn't about THEM. It is bigger than them. All in all, this is just a flawed rehash of Awakening, where once again the sisters have to choose between a sister and innocents. Really, this is no real decision at all considering everyone would die in the apocalypse; so what would be the point of saving Prue then?

Perhaps the best part of the episode is the foreshadowing of Phoebe's attraction to demons, similar to what we saw in Pardon My Past. It is getting pretty obvious that writers already have Cole in mind by this point.
  • Apocalypse Why?

0.8
    Easily one of the worst episodes from the Shannen seasons, Apocalypse Not is a case of a basic idea which could have become an entertaining episode, but gets ruined by predictable story developments and a poor script.

Apocalypse Not has the sisters battling the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. When one of the horsemen and Prue are sucked into a vortex, Piper and Phoebe must team up with the three remaining horsemen to save their sister.

This is one of only a few Charmed episodes that I have never fully sat through. It remains today an extremely boring hour with the writers trying to be all creative and adult when they're really about as good as your average Sabrina, The Teenage Witch writer. The lair of the Horsemen is also lame, with them operating hundreds of world disasters from this office space in a skyscraper. Very stupid.

Shannen Doherty hardly appears in the episode and her lack of presence definitely hurts the episode. If the writing was good and the script was actually changed a little, Holly and Alyssa could easily keep the episode afloat. Sadly, Apocalypse Not suffers from a script which would find it hard to compete with a snail in a race. Everything is dragged out so slowly and the Horsemen look extremely lame dressed in their "wacky" robes and riding on their horses in San Francisco.

This is an extremely boring episode which could have easily been a classic with a very apocalyptic storyline. Ignore the eye-catching title, avoid this hour.

Rating: F
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are on the scene to bring about the end of the world. Can Leo and the girls stop them before it's too late?

This should, theoretically, have been the ultimate stand-off between Good and Evil as the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse go up against The Charmed Ones and their ever-present Whitelighter in a battle for victory.

When Prue and one of the horsemen get caught in an evil vortex, Leo has to go undercover to see what he can find out while Piper and Phoebe try and find a way to save their sister before 7pm comes and the world ends.

Of course, the outcome is predictable, Prue is saved and the evil doers are vanished. On another note, it was good to see Leo actually having something to do in this one rather than behaving like a piece of the furniture. Not a bad episode, even if it was a tiny bit predictable in places. Certainly worth a look.
  • Saving Prue

7.6
    Apocalypse, Not-When a vanquishing spell goes awry while the Halliwells try to destroy the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Prue and one of the Horsemen become trapped in a vortex. Piper and Phoebe enlist the help of the three remaining Horsemen to free Prue and the fourth Horseman before the vortex closes, and both are killed. Although not as epic as it ambitious title, "Apocalyse, Not" is still an okay(ish) episode that brings a great dilemma for Piper and Phoebe as well as the writers trying to re-invent the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse mythology. I love that Piper and Phoebe were left with such a burden as they must make one of the most diffcult choices a human person can be asked to do: save their sibling or save the world. It brings some great drama for the 2 sisters and both Holly and Alyssa do a great job of conveying that. I liked them working with the horsemen as the idea of good and evil working together has never been explored up to this point in the series:

Piper: This is where we were supposed to come, right?
    Phoebe: Right.
    Piper: And it's not a trap, right, please tell me we're doing the right thing.
    (The horsemen appear)
    Phoebe: Or we're making the biggest mistake in the world.
    Strife: Thank you for coming. And you are?
    Piper: Anxious to get this over with, let's go.
    Strife: Are you in a hurry?
    Phoebe: You stalling?
    Strife: You want your sister back?
    Piper: Do you want your friend back?
    Strife: Let's do business.

While the horsemen plot could have been better developed and their actions could have been more epic, I love that Piper and Phoebe ultimately chose the world. It's great development as both sisters are developed and realize in the end that saving other lives are more important than saving your loved sometimes. Of course Prue comes back, but not at the expense of realizing that her sisters had to do what they had to do and it actually brings all 3 of them closer in the end. "Apocalypse, Not" isn't the most flashy and darkest episode, but it has enough well written morality to make for a decent episode.
  • Thats more like it.

Why can't more episodes of Charmed be like this? The story to this episode was well set out and interesting which marks a change to some of the earlier episodes this season. The main story in this episode is Prue getting trapped in another world with a horseman of the appocalyse. However the only problem is there is no way that the sisters can see as to how they can rescue Prue...unless they decide to world with evil, which Leo trys to stop. Eventually Prue is rescued but the girls cut it close. Overall i have to say that i did fairly enjoy this episode.
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

San Francisco is in a chaotic situation, with riots everywhere. Piper and Leo find a mysterious man in the middle of the confusion, who vanishes when they chase him. Later, the Halliwell sisters prepare a spell assuming that they have to vanquish an Anarchy Demon, but they find that the man has three mates and they are actually the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War, Death, Famine and Strife. When they cast the spell, Prue and War disappear. Then Phoebe and Piper join forces with the other three horsemen in order to try and bring Prue and War back. But the sisters feel that they are making a mistake and they take the heartbreaking decision of sacrificing Prue for the good of mankind.

"Apocalypse, Not" is an episode with good moments, specially when Piper and Phoebe realize that they have sacrifice their own sister. This episode is funny and entertaining and has a good message in the end.
  • Prue is trapped in a giant interdimensional pentagram, forcing Pheobe and Piper to work with evil, who are secretly working to fulfill the apocalypse by completing a quartet of evil; the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Will Prue be ultimately sacrificed?

Piper and the sisters are suddenly closer as the apocalypse nears. However when Piper witnesses a demon, she and her sisters battle the four horsemen of the apocalypse, accidentally creating a giant pentagram which seals Prue inn a vortex. The sisters are nearly duped by the apocalypse, but Leo saves the day and the horsemen are vanquished. I found this episode extremely entertaining. A good way to end the season. Plus the music was great! But it was good to see the sisters deal with family or innocents for the first time. They made the right choice, but Prue still dies!
  • It's the end of the world as we know it

Cool episode! This really sets the scene for what Charmed is going to become in later seasons, introducing new kinds of evil and expanding a little more on the Source.

I thought it was a great idea to have good and evil working towards a common goal. The boundaries are there to be blurred and Piper's foreboding handshake was spot on. Although you know the baddies are going to get vanquished in the end, there is plenty to keep you guessing along the way. Funny how the four horsemen turned out to be the trustworthy ones.

Brian Krause has a big part this week and, for once, gets the script his talent deserves. He's chronically underused on this show and it's good to see him play something other than a simpering sidekick. More of the same please!

While I liked the idea of the four horsemen, particularly the way they were immune to Prue and Pipers' powers, they weren't at all scary and didn't seem to be anything more than trumped up mortals recruited by the Source. Their swanky control centre was totally out of keeping and seemed to have been borrowed from a James Bond film. I can see why the writers wanted to try something different but I hope they've learnt their lesson.

Phoebe's fascinating flirtation with evil continues this week. I noticed it was War and not Prue who spoke to her from the other side and when she was alone with Strife I was willing Piper to walk in and catch them kissing. I wonder if this was when they came up with the idea of Cole? Her premonition was awesome and literally saved the world. So much for a passive power!

I'll be interested to see what they come up with for the season finale as this would have made a great finale in itself.
  • should good and evil work together - no way!

The four horsemen of the apocolypse are wreaking havoc and just so happen to be in San Francisco. What a big mistake. Sent on a mission by the source to basically do what the source wants every demon to do - kill the charmed ones. The plan goes badly wrong when Prue and one of the horsemen get sucked into a vortex and vanish. Piper and Phoebe realise they may have to work with evil in order to get their sister back. Leo realises that saving Prues life may cost more lives than just hers and has to warn the sisters that they are about to make a big mistake.
  • Absoulutely brilliant I was expecting a terrible episode but it wasn't anything I thought it would be.

Prue gets into a battle with a strange supernatural man that sends her into another dimension. While Piper, Phoebe and Leo try to discover what's happened they learn that the evil she's trapped with is one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse who's destiny is to bring about the end of the world. Much to Leo's dismay, the three remaining evildoers strike a pact with Piper and Phoebe to work together to save Prue and the fourth horseman from their demise in the other dimension. After wrestling with the reality that saving Prue will bring about the end of the world, Piper and Phoebe make the ultimate sacrifice and refuse to help the remaining horseman save their friend...and Prue. The selfless act actually saves Prue anyway and pulls both Prue and the Fourth Horseman back to the real world where the Halliwell sisters face the sacrifice they were about to make to save the innocents of the world.
  • The writers are hinting about the next season. Phoebe gets close to evil. Piper has to reassure Leo that he is as important as her sisters. Prue is killed off the show...almost.

What a great episode! Of course, hind sight is 20/20. Leo warns the sisters that they need to know who they are going up against. Know your enemy before you attack. The audience gets a glimpse of his military experience as a human. (Even medics learn the basics about being in a war.)

The writers have already decided that Pheobe is going to be involved with a demon. They use both Leo and one of the horsemen to talk to Phoebe about evil in this episode.

Leo's love for Piper is clear. Now he worries about the sisters fighting evil. He becomes a little too concerned, actually.

Oh Prue, if only you had read the signs. They nearly vanquished you. If you can only cleaned up your act...maybe you would have been saved next season....
  • cool!

that was cool that when them and the girls got in a circle then prue and the other dude dissapeared. that was awesome! i liked it. i liked how the ppl and the chRemd ones workewd togetther. and it was cool how prue tried to move the spirit board mover thing on the spirit board. that was cool, but... she didnt finish... lol, over all, it was a awesome episode!
  • This is the best example of how good Charmed was back in the old days. My favorite episode!

Apocalypse Not has been my favorite episode of Charmed since I can remember. It's awesome. So exciting! The moment when Leo realizes who the four men are... it's incredible. He was great in that one scene. I also like the point where Phoebe and Piper know that they can't put the entire world at risk for their sister. Whoever thought this idea up, I give them huge props, because wow... it was just amazing, thinking the sisters had to go up against such a powerful force. I re-watched it last night, since I taped it when I saw it was on again. I really liked the little clues they threw in (the horseshoe tatoos). Smart writing and great acting!
TNT