Charmed

Be Careful What You Witch For

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM May 18, 2000 on The WB

• I Dream of... French Stewart??!!

6.4
    A slightly average episode to end the season on, Be Careful What You Witch For suffers from the fact that the storyline is slightly gimmicky, with a tedious guest spot from 3rd Rock's French Stewart as a so-blatantly-gay genie.

The episode sees a genie sent by a group of demons to the Manor, where he proceeds to grant the sisters wishes. But, each of the wishes ends up backfiring, leading to chaos, mayhem, death and bad special effects.

The first of three episodes directed by Shannen Doherty, she doesn't exactly impress with this hour. She's decent, but the direction isn't any different to all the other episodes on the show and it's a shame that her directorial debut featured some budget-straining scenes which were undoubtedly going to end up looking cheap as hell. Those include Phoebe's flying, which looks unintentionally hilarious with the blurry green-screen and Alyssa's tacky "Superman-in-flight" pose.

The episode also suffers from the fact that there is way too much going on. We have Piper's traumas. We have Dan's traumas. We have the sudden teenage-Prue storyline. And don't even get me started on the fire-breathing demon that pops out of nowhere. All of the stories drag the episode down, with some of them having really weird twists and turns. Prue's tagged-on death was unnecessary and only put in to put the sisters in some more peril whilst Dan's rapidly ageing scenario felt pointless too.

Compared to season one's finale Déjà vu All Over Again, this wasn't good at all. The three main stars were all excellent throughout, in particular Shannen, but the episode was brought down by the feeling that a bunch of writers had five different stories and threw them all into 45 minutes, completely uncaring about the state of the audience's sanity after viewing.

Director: Shannen Doherty