Charmed

Charmed Again (1)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2001 on The WB

• Long Lost Sister

Charmed ones's parents should be shamed because Patty gave up Paige and abandoned her all of her years. How she do it, she should be awful mother. However, Patty have no experience raise her daughters, she died. Penny took over and raised three girls. There is no explained that Patty died and Charmed girls have lousy explained for Prue's death. I dont understand Prue's death, how she died. However, I never like Prue very much, I dislike her. Piper suddenly became oldest sister of Charmed ones. Phoebe moved to be middle sister and left is Paige.
  • This and every episode after should never have existed. You can't kill off the main character of a show and keep it going.

1.1
    I have so many problems with this show its not even funny. Charmed was one of my FAVORITE shows ever, even up to this last season, which was so aweful it made me stop watching altogether, but lets face it, Charmed should have ended with Prue. For one thing, they didnt even have the decency to really kill her off, one episode she was there, and the next its her funeral(where they dont even show her body), and nothing inbetween, no trying to save her or anything, just she\\\'s there then she\\\'s not. I understand that Shanon Doherty, was kicked off the show due to being intolerable, and they couldnt really get her to participate in her own character\\\'s death, but WTF, you can\\\'t just get rid of the main character of a show, and replace her with someone new. After this, Charmed became incresingly bad, and any true charmed fan will agree. I have kept watching because I LOVE charmed, but in this last season not only have I stopped watching, but I wish it would have ended here. It wasn\\\'t right what they did kicking Prue, the MAIN CHARACTER off, and no offense to Rose McGowan, but Paige never fit the part. She doesn\\\'t fit with the other sisters, and she could never replace Prue. I wish they would have just ended it all before this episode existed, instead of running it into the ground and makeing even the hardcore fans hate it.
  • Prue is gone, Paige is in and Shaks looks likes he's wearing pyjamas...

6.4
    I quite like this as an episode that has the very difficult task of replaing a main character. The whole premise of Charmed is the Power of Three so when Shannen Doherty decided to storm out at the end of series 3 never to return the key element of the show was lost. Luckily the writers had already written a story about their mothers affair with her whitelighter Sam, originally probably just to reflect Leo and Pipers relationship but it has turned out very useful to introduce Rose believably......... That is as belivably as three sisters who run round battling demons and dating angels and, well demons can be.

My main criticism of this episode is how it started. I realise that they could not film anymore of Shannen Doherty (trying desperately not use a rude word here) but I do think that they ignored a lot of what they set up at the end of series 3.

I've always thought that they could have done moments after the scene by getting Leo to appear heal Piper and not be able to heal Prue. They could have easily avoided showing Prues face, have Piper throw a hissy fit and then go save Phoebe and then done the Charmed Again storyline in the next 2 episodes of thee season. This may just be me but it bugs me that Phoebe was about to be killed in the underworld at the end of 'All Hell Breaks loose' and is just in the Manor at the beginning of this one. I know they hint that her and Cole managed to escape but I don't like gaps and there are ways round a stroppy actors surely.

Although this is a well crafted episode in many ways so good recovery people!!
  • Prue.Dead.Dead.Prue.DEAD???!!!!

7.9
    Oh god I\\\'m gonna cry again! I was watching re-runs and I remember the first time i saw this and how I felt. I just noticed that she is my FAVE character. Closely followed by Phoebe. We\\\'ve got sooo much in common. Upon further research I found out that Alyssa and Shannon couldn\\\'t work together so Shannon quit...or got fired I can\\\'t remember which. But if they fired her then the producers aren\\\'t as smart as I thought they were! Shannon is an AMAZING actress. Beautiful, smart, talented! Her last words on the set are supposed to have been- \\\'I\\\'m on to bigger and BETTER things!\\\' I saw an episode of SCARE TACTICS and I don\\\'t think she\\\'s the BAD GIRL the press makes her out to be. Anyway, farewell again shannon! This whole ep is filled with the battle for PIPER as she is suddenly the oldest sister. A timeless classic from the CHARMED ONES yet again.
  • Marked the begining of the new and better Charmed. The finall time that Prues body was technilaly on screen so her last ever f###ing real job.

This episode was brillant fore many reasons. Firstly this episode marked the utter end of Purdance (Prue) who was getting really anoying towards the end of season 3. Thank God she was killed off to make way for Paige. The writting in of Paige into the series was utterly perfect. It all made sence and fitted perfectly into what was happening. It was also godod as it had all main charchaters in it like grams, Patty , Cole, victor, ect... It was just a brillent episode for explaining and content was fantastic. Long live Paige and death to the evil and curpatance of Prue
  • This two hour season premiere of Charmed starts off fresh with the surviving Halliwell sisters mourning the loss of their eldest sister therefore discovering that they have a long lost half-sister that can reconstitute the power of three.

The episode starts off with Piper\'s unsuccessful attempts to bring her fallen sister back to life. It left me to only speculate what happened after Shax\'s attack and how Phoebe escapes from the Underworld after the Source double crosses her. It marks as a fresh beginning when Rose McGowan joins the cast as Paige Matthews, Piper and Phoebe\'s long lost sister, after the ungraceful departure of Shannen Doherty(repeat of 90210). After Prue\'s two-second funeral, Phoebe and Piper learn that their new innocent is indeed their sister that their mother had with her \"whitelighter affair\" and she may be able to somehow reconstitute the power of three. Basically the episode is about Phoebe and Piper convincing Paige that she\'s a good witch and getting back at the Source for taking something very precious from them, their sister.
  • The stunning and highly anticipated opening of season 4. I adored it, it fulfilled all my expectations, even those that appeared unfeasible to fulfil.

Prue is dead. The grieving Piper and Phoebe are dealing with the unbearable task of going through their big sister\'s funeral. The Charmed Ones seems to be a title belonging to a clear past, contrasting the chaotic and unsecure present. What will happen to them now?
    Matters take a surprising twist as Phoebe, shaking hands with a female guest at Prue\'s funeral, has a premonition in which the guest is killed by Prue\'s murdered, the Source\'s assasin Shax.
    This leads to the exposure of a secret that the sisters\' mother has been keeping for decades, one that now must come into light. The lives of Piper and Phoebe will be depending on it.
    The two sisters are forced to realising that the Charmed Ones can be reconstituted, seeing that they have another sister.

*********

Anticipating the opening of season four was a highly curious sensation, for obviously with the knowledge that one had seen the last of Prue, expectations were sky-high as to whether this new, mysterious brunette would ever be able to properly replace her and recreate the show that you had been adoring for three seasons until now.

The heart therefore pounded a trifle more powerfully than usually when it opened, and as a result, every single line and every single facial expression and every single picture was absolutely absorbed.

I think it is a marvellous episode, focusing excellently sufficiently on the terrible, incomprehensible and despairing loss of Prue, and on the chaos succeeding her funeral inasmuch as the future of the two remaining Halliwells is foggy.
    Rose McGowan already during these 45 minutes created a believable and intriguing character, whom you actually sat there and hoped to become a member of the Charmed Ones (well-knowing, obviously, that she would). Prue was my favourite character, I think she was more brilliant than words can tell. So her being replaced? Impossible!! No, it wasn\'t!

So what a blast! Highly action-packed, thrilling, exciting, meeting all obligations, \'Charmed Again (1)\' was superb. I absolutely adored viewing it, and the cliffhanger at the ending was very clever; we get our climax, yet the climax simply becomes the opening of novel suspense with Paige\'s discovery of her actual identity. Hurrah!!!
  • In this episode, we see the new sister Paige Matthews who is replacing Prudence, their eldest sister. Shax, the Source\'s murderer, comes for Paige aswell, but the sisters manage to vanquish him.

First things first, let\'s make something clear:
    In may 2001, when we saw the episode \'\'All hell breaks loose\'\', nothing was decided. Shannen didn\'t say she\'s going out of the show immediately... It happened a bit later, when Alyssa Milano asked the producers to be the main star, that is, that her name gets listed first in the opening credits. That\'s when Shannen gave up on Charmed.
    I must admit, I was shocked at first, and to be honest, this isn\'t exactly one of my favourite episodes, but I think that seasons 5, 6, and 7 (I haven\'t seen the season 8 yet) made up for that, It is, however, unclear, how did Phoebe get out of the Underworld, or how did Leo know that Piper & Prue needed help, and then healed only Piper. But that\'s better than saying \"Shannen left us hanging, and we had to cover that up\". They did cover it up, and they did the best they could! So give them a break!

And Charmed stayed, from season 1 to season 8,
    The best TV show ever!
  • This episode is about Piper and Phoebe mourning the death of their oldest sister, Prue. Meanwhile, it seems that they have a younger sister as a result of their mother having an affair with Sam, her whitelighter.

I absolutely looove this episode and it made me cry. I mean Prue was the strongest and ultimate witch and now she's gone. So Piper and Phoebe have a bad time trying to get over Prue's death. Menahwile, Paige goes to Prue's funeral thinking she knows her from somewhere. Where she finally meets the sisters.

Holly Marie Combs did a very great job and she really seemed emotional. She is avery great actress and I wish her the best in future endeavors. Her character Piper was always my favorite and her faith is shaken after Prue's death. Which raises a problem as the Power of Three is threatened. But they stick it out.

Alyssa Milano also did a very great job as the sister that held it together after Prue's death. Her character was faced with the decision to help Piper get through it. Usually they have to help her but now its the other way around. No longer was she the damsel in distress. Her character grew up in this episode.

Overall this show was a tearjerker because it made me cry. It was just sooo sad that Prue died. At first in the previous episode we thought it was Piper that was gonna die. But they switched up on us.
  • The Power Of 4

Who knew there was a fourth sister! Certainly not me. I do not think they originally planned on their being a fourth sister before Shannen (Prue) decided to leave but it felt very ntural and not at all forced like many a Prue fan thought. Not to mention, Paige (Rose) turned out to be a true delight.
  • Absoultely stunning Episode

I saw this for the first time last night and i was wondering how they cut it so you're still left wondering what exactly happens but you don't feel like the story for that episodes been cut short. i liked Prue's funeral, especially the clip where the bounty-hunters come after Cole and Piper just goes berserk, Holly looks like shes actually living the role not just acting. I liked Grams in this one when she tells Cortez that they've been caught, and Phoebe goes, "Carefull Grams, not all of us are dead."
  • a great but sad episode!!!

this episode was soooooooooooo good but sooooooooooooo sad at the same time.the sisters were at the funeral crying thier eyes out.that just made me want to cry too.meanwhile paige matthews is mysteriously drawn to prudence's(prue) funeral.after pheobe has a preminision about paige getting attacked by shaf(correct spelling???) (the demon that killed prue)phoebe will do nothing but try and save her.while pipper has some personal feelings about prue's death that dstracts her from helping paige.the sisters summon thier mother patty and she has a secret she needed to tell them.they have a half sister.paige.she is half whitelighter half witch.anyway this epiosde marked the charmed ones being reborn.it was soooo sad but also the best things that could happen to pipper and phoebe since prue's death.
  • the charmed episode charmed agian is an ok episode. prue died in this episode because of the sorce and the demand that was the source upper level demands. piper almost died but leo healed her but he couldnt heal prue and piper at the same time.

The charmed episode charmed again is an alright episode. the episode charmed again is the episod when the deman droi kills prue. he almost killed piper but he didnt because leo healed piper but he couldnt heal prue. the reason prue couldnt get healed was because leo could oly heal one of them so he decided to heal his wife pipier. on the day of prues funeral piper is devistated evry thing was going wrong demands were attacing. on the wrong day and at the wrong time the source is trying to kill an girl named page. page is another charmed one an there half sister.
  • Funeral Location

It was sad to see Prue (Shannon Doherty) leave, but I swear that her funeral was held in the same mausoleum that Inspecter Davidson was killed in at the end of Death Takes A Halliwell (3:16). Am I wrong?

Anyway, I started watching this show because of Shannon but I actually think it got even better with Rose McGowan. Still, this was a fitting, yet heartbreaking, farewell to a beloved character. I think they handled it well.
  • A shock for all the fans. Anyway, we feel the pain too. One sister is gone, and we will miss her...

It's so weird to see that Shannen is not there anymore. We feel the pain ourselves. It was their sister, and for the fans, was as a sister aswell. It's imbelievable she's gone, we can understand why but it has happen...

As a episode it's perfect:

A lot of people find strange that suddenly all has happen (We don't see the scenes inbetween the dead and the funeral) In my opinion, it was a way to suddenly bring the conclusion of the final of season 3. For exemple, til we see Phoebe we don't know what happened...

The whole episode has a bond between scenes that has not been shown in any episode (I mean... It's kinda of a strange episode and it's only a few hours of the day)

The off-screen job was excelent: The camera job was fantastic making the scenes look sad and weak. The photography aswell, made cold scenes and a palid color theme. In the camera field we can see scenes so great: The first scene, for exemple was remarkable. The scene in the kitchen aswell. And we see a effect that make us feel down in all the bad scenes... If you see closely the image you can see in a lots of scenes that the camera is kinda turned to one side. It's seems that the camera is falling. Is a way of transmit that life is falling appart, that things are not right.

The actting work was great aswell! Piper specially! The scene when they see Paige for the first time after knowing that she is her sister was inforgetteable

To end, I have to say that we have not to forgot the music. We have of the best episode in the musical corditation. I'm not talking only about the songs that appear in the episode but the whole background music in the sad scenes and in the fight scenes.
  • A new era begins......

SPOILERS........

This is the episode that really lets the audience know Prue was killed. Fans knew from many many sources that Shannen Doherty was leaving the show and All Hell Breaks Loose was to be her final episode....however, it was not revealed until the begining of this ep. (All Hell Breaks Loose ends with both Prue and Piper hurt).

Unlike many others, I felt 95% of all Charmed episodes have revolved around how great Prue was and frankly, it was irritating me.

For those new to the show, give Paige a chance. She's has given a wonderful new dimension to the show.
  • A great way to start a new chapter int he \'Charmed\' story.

This episode was a spectacular start to season 4. It brought back some of our old favourites, like Grams, Victor and Patty and introduced Paige.

The overall story of Paige\'s story was so well writeen and not forced upon us at all. It fit in very well altering no previous storylines. Being one of those Prue haters I am glad she is gone, but it was quite sad to see the funeral and wathc Piper and Phoebe break down.

And finally they avenge Prue\'s death together, with the Power of Three united. But Unfortunatley, it doesn\'t look like Page is too happy about becoming a Charmed One...
  • Great and classic episode

I love this episode its soo sad and really shows how much piper loved prue and depended on her! its soo cute and truely precious when you see the relationship of pheobe and piper grow as they come to terms with the death of their oldest sister! i cant imagine the pain they were going through but it must have gotten even worse when they find out about paige! who is lovely btw i just love her and she makes me laugh with her ocnstant lolly pop addiction! i love charmed its great but after season 4 i think it goes downhill a bit :(
  • The charmed ones are reconstituted

After prues death piper and phoebe find out that they have another half sister "paige" that will be able to reform the power of three. Piper is mouring over prue and misses her very much.Piper and phoebe get Paige to reform the power of three and together they defeat shax. Paige is astonished by the craft and demons so she dosen't face being a witch. I loved this epsisode and i tnk Paige was introduced into the show very well shes much better than prue and gives great comedy to this show aswell as its great demon fighting and imagination.
  • The saddest episode of charmed, but an exellent way to start a whole new chapter for the power of 3

This epsisode by far was the best/saddest episode ever of charmed. Holly Marie Combs deffinitely deserves an award for this episode. She was outstandning. No one could have played it better. Piper and pheobe really connected through the loss of prue. I loved how pheobe tried to hide her emotions and tried to stay strong. It showed how much she cared. This episode was very well written, and the idea of paige was excellent. Her backround is absolutely amazing! I loved how piper said she didn't no how to live without an older sister. that was so touching. Now the girls have to adjust their lives without prue and welcome in paige. Great work. keep it up!
  • Excellently done!

The season 4 opener, "charmed again parts 1 + 2" are extremely well written. The acting is also great with newcomer Rose McGowan playing lost list sister Paige matthews, who is discovered to have the powers to orb, heal (with help and to summon objects.

This is one of the episodes I actually enjoy the character or Phoebe and the whole show seems to be much more interesting with Paige instead of Prue. Charmed Again is the episode that got me hooked. I reccomend it to anyone! A+
  • The Charmed Sequel.

Season four marks the end of one era causing the show to become its own sequel from season four to the end of the series starting with a new charmed one because of Prudence Halliwell being killed by brain damage from being tossed threw a wall. I have seen many shows in my time but I think this is unique how the show became its own sequel about two witches discovering they have another sister that must be joined together to continue the journey to save lives. I say it was a great start to the sequel Paige era where Prue was never mentioned or seen again.
  • Brilliant.

Charmed again is one of the greatest episodes of charmed ever. It is really shocking first of all prue is dead i didn\'t expect them to kill off a main charachter like that but they did and then you find out that patty had an affair and that she had another daughter paige. I really like this episode and the best part (in my opinion) was when shax threw like all wind at paige and she orbed and all the orbs just blew away it was awesome.

overall; i really good start to the fourth season of charmed this episode shocked me.
  • I felt Connected

I absolutely loved this episode. When I watched the funeral I felt like I was going through the same pain that the sisters felt. It was a very emtionally powerful episode and I think that the writers of the show need to add more shows like this one.

The only thing that really surprised me wasthe number of people at the funeral. I mean supposedly all of the sisters had severed ties with their previous life, but there seemed to be a lot of people there who were "really close" to her and her sisters There were also quite a few people at the wake and I didn't see Pheobe or Piper talking to any of them.
  • Piper and Phoebe must continue the fight, with Prue gone, against supernatural evil. How will they use the Power of Three? Who is this Paige person? Is the writing really that bad? Yup.

Oftentimes a great television series has fallen due to casting changes (i.e. Sliders or Talk Radio) and I am sorry to say that this what begins to happen with the Charmed Ones. Although it did survive for a total of eight seasons. For one reason or another, Shannen Doherty left the series and the show never fully recovered. Her replacement, Rose McGowan, is a talented actress but losing the chemistry that the original cast had hurts the series. The writers had to find a quickly find reason, in two episodes, to create a fourth Charmed One, who could be the third Charmed One. Story wise, the result [given the limitations] does work, but it is not terribly too creative. Personally, I never really liked Paige as a character because she reminded too much of Phoebe. I also generally felt that the quality of writing and the production values took a nose dive during this season as well.
  • Why Couldn't Alyssa Be Replaced By a Long-Lost Sister? Part One

When Shannen Doherty announced her departure from Charmed in May 2001, fans were eagerly awaiting what the writers would do next. Go on without a third sister? Recast Prue? Instead, the producers decided to go the way of the classic, with Piper and Phoebe discovering they have a long-lost sister.

Charmed Again Part One sees Piper and Phoebe mourning Prue's death. Meanwhile, in the Underworld, The Oracle discovers that there is another Charmed sister, a young woman called Paige Matthews. Eventually, Piper and Phoebe confront Grams and Patty about their suspicions of another sister and are told the complete truth...

Rose McGowan was greeted with almost immediate hostility when she joined Charmed. To be honest, I don't really get where this came from. She gives an excellent performance in this episode, which doesn't appear to be showing any nerves that Rose may have had whilst filming.

Paige herself is written well throughout the episode. She is written as a normal, everyday young woman and her reaction to demons and her destiny are well played by Rose.

The show itself also has a different look. From the opening credits, with Alyssa in top billing, to the new sets, the show really seems like it's had a major budget increase. The chase scene through the warehouse between Paige and Shax is the most notable scene of the episode, with many special effects and excellent direction from Michael Schultz.

Holly Marie Combs gives an excellent performance and it's a good decision to see her character still being a wreck after Prue's murder. Alyssa, on the other hand, doesn't seem at all saddened by Prue's death. Could this be a hint of Alyssa's own personal feelings about Shannen's departure? Or am I just going crazy with all "those" rumors??

The cliffhanger from season three's finale isn't really resolved, with Phoebe's rescue from the Underworld being handily swept under the carpet and the reasons behind Prue's death being slightly vague. This doesn't necessarily spoil this episode, but it would have been a hell of a lot better if those cliffhangers were followed up on in a better way, in particular Phoebe's rescue.

Thankfully, Charmed managed to survive Shannen's departure (well, at least for a while) and Rose's introduction is done with time and seemed to have been planned out well. A really good first part to the season premiere.

Rating: B+
  • How do you respond to the exit of a top cast member? With the best season opener in the series... Paige is found and the series grows darker.

Some Charmed fans would never recover from the loss of Prue. I am not one of those. Charmed Again represents easily the best season opener Charmed ever had.

From the very first scene where a disheveled and despondent Piper tries to use magic to reach her lost sister in a candle lit attic, we are immediately introduced to a darker and grittier Charmed. Piper is an understandable mess throughout the episode, and as usual, Holly shines whenever tears are to be shed. She has had a lot of practice, and unfortunately, she will get more. Her attack of Leo for healing her instead of Prue is very true to her character and heartfelt. Her fit of anger over the demonic attack at Prue's funeral is also very fitting for the character; we are quickly reminded- same old Piper. As usual, the end of the Charmed Ones is nearly taken with relief by Piper, who now wants to concentrate on the lives that are left, and as such, the discovery of a new sister is met with a good dose of doubt and then frustration from her. This can actually be interpreted as apathy towards Paige, but it isn't. It is apathy towards being a Charmed One again.

Like in the beginning of the series, Phoebe is again the wiccan heart of the manor, and her and Cole actually take over the demon hunting duties, temporarily. The scene where Cole and Phoebe spy Shax's attack of Paige on the rooftop is a classic. Fantastic writing. And how cool is it to see a witch being able to orb? I love this rinse and revamp of the Phoebe/Cole story. The melodrama at the end of Season 3 needed to be seriously dumped and forgotten, and that is exactly what has been done here with very little explanation how, which is fine with me. The bottom line is that Cole is back in Phoebe's good graces and it is GREAT to have him back. Great scene when he goes toe-to-toe with Shax. Kind of surprising he couldn't vanquish Shax considering the damage he does to the source in Brain Drain.

Paige showing up at the manor and the Charmed Ones being reconstituted is another classic scene. The vanquish of Shax was somewhat quickly handled, but it was still great to see revenge exacted. Rose McGowan as Paige isn't given too much to do this first episode, but she is more than adequate in the role. She is actually more believable as a sister of Piper and Phoebe than the black haired, blue-eyed Prue was. The exposure subplot in this episode is about as ridiculous as any we ever see on this show, and it is highly annoying that the writers would beat that drum again so soon after All Hell Breaks Loose. Fortunately, it is a small part of the show, and I do like Cole threatening the guy and the Timbuktu spell. Personally, I had no problem with the show spending no time trying to explain the gap between last season and this. Everyone can come up with their own explanations, quite easily.
  • Prue dies and The charmed ones are reborn with a new sister.

One of my favorite Charmed episodes. Prue dies in season 3 finale and this episode starts with Piper trying to summon her back. This shows how you mourn for a family member and how you can have someone in your life and the next day that person can be gone. Piper and Phoebe learn that they have a half sister Paige. They learn that their mothers relationship with her whitelighter was more then what they thought in season 2. The source is again trying to break apart the charmed ones. I like this episode and it is apart of my top 5 shows of Charmed.
  • Bye bye Prue & hello Paige.

After wondering what will happen to Prue & Piper at the end the season 3 finale, season 4 opens with the sisters geting ready for Prue's funeral.

Alot of things from the previous season are left unexplained, for example, how did Leo know that Piper & Prue needed saving, afterall they did make a deal with the Source to turn back time. Wasn't Pheobe supposed to stay behind in the underworld with Cole? That was the deal.

This episode was great, emotional, funny & so sad all at the same time.

Seeing the sisters cry at the funeral made me want to cry with them. Piper was the most emotional, while Pheobe was trying to stay strong.

One of the lighter moments in this episode is when Piper & Pheobe find out about Paige from Patty, and when the detective barges in on them & Pheobe sends him to Timbuctu. I couldn't stop laughing.

I can't wait for the 2nd part.
  • So sad Prue left...

This episode features a few days after Prue's death, Piper and Phoebe hunt for Shax, the demon who is responsible for Prue's death. While in the funeral, Phoebe saw Paige, and she got a premoniton that Paige will be attacked by Shax. Later on, Phoebe and Cole learn that she can orb, which means that she is possibly a whitelighter. But Leo get nothing from the Elders. Luckily for the sisters, they have Cole, a good demon, and learn that Paige is the new charmed ones.

Paige Matthews take over Prue and become the new charmed ones. She orbs things. I like Prue more than Paige.

This episode is NOT really good, although it has a novel. The writer(s) should have done better than this.
< 1 2