Charmed

Charmed Again (1)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2001 on The WB

• We'll miss you, Prue

Dealing with death is never easy on a lighthearted show such as this but Brad Kern does a good job with this installment. The season opens with Piper trying to bring back Prue (although technically we don't know it's Prue who's died until Phoebe appears) and this sets the tone for the episode. Whatever happens, the sense of loss is never far away and, unsurprisingly, it's Piper who feels it the hardest.

As a lot of folk have already pointed out, many of the cliffhangers from the last episode are left unanswered. We never find out how Phoebe escaped from the Underworld, how Cole evaded capture or why Leo was only able to heal one sister.

Despite this, a lot happens this week. No sooner do we meet Paige than we find out Shax is back and no sooner is he vanquished than the Source himself appears. Inspector Cortez could have picked a far better day to try to expose the sisters.

The introduction of Paige is handled very well. Discovering 'long lost' siblings is usually a total cringefest but Charmed somehow manages to avoid the trap. This is all down to Season Two's "P3H2O", where we learn that Patty had an affair with her whitelighter. Whether this was amazing foresight by the writers or pure good luck doesn't really matter - it works! Rose McGowan gives a convincing performance as Paige and I'm glad she doesn't throw her lot in with the sisters straightaway.

There are some excellent scenes this week. For pure action and some great special effects, the rooftop fight with Shax is top notch. The inspector bursting into the attic is both tense and funny and Phoebe's premonition of Paige being killed is dramatic and unexpected.

What happened to the opening credits on the DVD btw? Were they vanquished?