Charmed

Charmed Again (1)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2001 on The WB

• Prue is dead, Piper is distraught, Phoebe is back from Hell and a new character is introduced - could she be a sister witch. Well, yeah obviously

7.8
    I'm sure there will be tons of fan-fiction out there filling in the major gap presented in this episode to do with Prue's death. We start the episode with Piper distraught that Leo saved the wrong witch and Phoebe back from the underworld holding in her emotions. They are getting ready for Prue's funeral and its all just a little too melodramatic.

What this episode essentially does is not give us enough details on Prue's death. If there was an episode before this it would be to do with the details glossed over. How the hell is Phoebe after swearing herself to become evil now out of the underworld in free view of demons. Cole at least is on the run which ties into what he said in the final episode. Also Prue would most likely knowing the Angel of Death have fought her way out of dieing, which is something I would have liked to have seen.

What this episode does do is strengthen the characters, in particular Piper who despite powers development had become the whiny third sister in the previous season. Holly Marie Combs actually gets some acting to do as she is really broken up by Prue's death, and doesn't want to accept the fact that there is a new sister. When she kicks off after the demons attack at the funeral and knocks that plant vase over its an effective and gut wrenching moment. I hope this development of her character continues throughout this season - watching later episodes it certainly seems that way.

The introduction of Paige is a little pithy but sets up nicely that there is a connection. As a character she seems a little flat and gets some unintentionally funny lines at least I think they are unintentional. When she asks her boyfriend not to hurt her and then next scene we see her taking off her clothes on a roof top it strengthens the feeling shes talking about sex not emotionally which is what I think it was supposed to be. Her non drinking thing is interesting considering the re-introduction of her dad Sam in the next season though.

A few last things, liked Cole's ramped up cockiness and was that really the same person playing Shax, his mannerisms felt different. It's obvious it wasn't the same person as the Source, that's for sure.