Charmed

Charmed Again (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2001 on The WB

• Charmed Again (2)

Charmed Again (2) was a perfect episode and really brought the fourth season premiere to full circle and introduced us to the long lost sister Paige. It was awesome watching the sisters in action with Inspector Cortez on their trail. Cole really went out of his way to help the sisters fight The Source. I liked the way The Source was portrayed. The special effects, editing and over all production were all well done. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Outsourced...

This is a strong second installment to the opener of Season 4.

Here Piper and Phoebe practically do a role reversal with Phoebe now being the uncertain and grieving sister and Piper starting to insert herself as the new leader of the Charmed Ones. Piper is still too rough with Paige though, and Phoebe continues to be the better communicator with their youngest sister. Rose McGowan, as Paige, continues to impress, and her scene in the church when she discovers her power to orb objects is classic. The fact that she also flees the sisters and goes running to a BF when in trouble will remain an unfortunate character-trait of hers throughout the series. Should the Source of all evil just be able to blithely walk into a church? I would think not. So, though demons do so throughout the series, I was glad that at least the Source was not able to in this episode, as the gargoyle protectors of the church stopped him from entering. The part where Cole was nearly killed was somewhat nonsense, and again, the threat of exposure was completely unnecessary considering the end of Season 3, besides being preposterous. But at least it all ended well.

Paige's near turn to evil was very well done, as was the final battle between the Source and the sisters. Why the Source would just leave the sisters alone rather than trying to vanquish them right there is somewhat a mystery, but I guess he didn't feel he had the power yet to take on the Power of Three. The ending at P3s and then back at the manor was fantastic, as the sisters appear to finally let Paige in. Very touching scene.

I will complain briefly here that it is unfortunate the writers of Charmed decided to go away from the Lucifer-like representation of the Source in All Hell Breaks Loose. That was by far his coolest appearance. In this season, the Source becomes like just another powerful demon, and in this episode, he is even doing his own dirty work. That is too bad, IMO. Would the Lord of the Underworld really be bothering to possess humans? Don't see it. I think the writers could have left him the way that he was.

Otherwise, great start to Season 4. Rose McGowan is just adorable, and I love Paige's powers. Since Piper is the heart of the series anyway, it is great to see her take the leadership role. And this is also a brief great time for the series when Cole, Leo and Phoebe all have their powers and are working together. Great things are yet ahead.

This was Charmed's first attempt at a two part episode to start a season, and it would forever be Charmed best attempt. Really, the more I watch these first two episodes the more I appreciate the writing of both. With Prue's death, they needed to get this season off to a strong start, and they did that. Fantastic job.
  • All Sisters Reunited

This episode is about All of three sisters reunited and became Charmed one once again. Of course, Charmed are reborn. Paige took too much for her that she is half witch and half whitelighter. She doesnt understand why her real parents abandoned her all of years. However, Paige's adoptive parents were killed in car accident when she was in high school. She had to take care of herself after that. However, This episode is pretty awesome because it is very special honor that Charmed are reborn again and fight demons and evil. Paige have to get it very slow to understand that she is witch and whitelighter.
  • Why Couldn't Alyssa Be Replaced By a Long-Lost Sister? Part Two

Unlike the many other two-parter season premieres during the later Charmed seasons, this second part is actually necessary and helps in making the proceedings feel much more real. It would be unnatural and unbelievable if Paige immediately became part of the family and this second part to this episode is greatly needed.

Charmed Again Part Two sees Piper still untrusting of the Halliwells. Meanwhile, The Source takes advantage of the 48-hour window open after a witch discovers her destiny and possesses Paige's boyfriend Shane in order to convince her to join the dark side.

Rose McGowan continues to impress as Paige and the discovery of her abilities makes for some of the best scenes in the episode, in particular the classic moment when she orbs the candle into her hands. The Source's plan is well constructed and provides some dark drama, in particular when he possesses the abusive father at Social Services.

Paige believing she is evil is probably the most emotional storyline on display here. Like Piper back in the second ever episode, I've Got You Under My Skin, Paige worries that, now she knows she's a witch, is she automatically evil? It's interesting seeing Paige with so much depth here, which seems to have been thrown away later on in other seasons.

The spell to see demons through "magical sunglasses" sounds lame on paper but it comes together pretty well. Though it's only a tiny subplot in this episode, it's still a fun one which helps detract away from the darker main storyline. The subplot involving Inspector Cortez is undemanding filler material and just annoys. Despite a great guest actor in Yancey Arias, the story goes nowhere and ends up being mostly pointless.

The second part of Charmed Again sets up an interesting future for the show. I always think of this episode as the premiere episode for the second half of Charmed itself, with the Prue years being the first. Though the second half did derail most of the time, you can't deny it started well...

Director: Mel Damski
    Writer: Brad Kern
    Rating: B+
  • 'There's a lot going on in this hour and a few of the subplots fall flat on their face'

Not quite the catastrophe I remember it to be, or maybe I'm just in a forgiving mood, but Part 2 is a solid conclusion to the premiere, if a little lackluster in comparison to the 1st part. This is Rose's episode and it highlights her strengths and weaknesses as an actor, but she still manages to pull it off.

Down the line, Rose's slant on Paige changes, presumably it had something to do with the producers, as she sports a new fiery look next season, but I really do like this Paige far better than what becomes of her later on. She seems more down to earth and Rose just comes across far better for it. Sure, her reaction-acting needs quite the touch up – in fact, someone should seriously talk to her about it – but, for the most part, she impressed me.

There's a lot going on in this hour and a few of the subplots fall flat on their face. I'm still not impressed by the Source, if he has such great power why can't he kill the CO's with the blink of an eye? (It eludes me why he's in a weakened state – he can kill birds and old men without so much as a second's thought, what stops him from doing the same to Piper?) The entire Cortez subplot felt entirely superfluous given the finale dealt with the same threat in more a satisfying manner than this. The sunglasses bit also didn't click with me.

There are a few neat twists (especially the reveal that the mother is the one who abuses her child) and the idea of Paige orbing away someone's heart highlights the more sinister aspect of Magic within the Charmed-verse. It also ends on a high as Paige meets her biological mother and I liked it all the more for the very fact it fades out just as they introduce themselves to one another.
  • A far better episode than the season opener.

Poor Paige does not cope at all well with the idea of being a witch. She seems to have more trouble with that than Piper and Phoebe do accepting her as their sister. It's quite obvious that Paige does not WANT to be a witch and is heavily in denial about the whole thing, getting away as fast as she can, unaware that The Source has only a limited time to find her and make her evil forever, after which, she will remain a good witch.

Rose McGowan did a very good job of portraying Paige's confusion and vulnerability here and that in itself made the episode highly watchable.
  • New Sis On The Block, Part 2

Charmed Again Part 2-Mourning the death of Prue, Piper and Phoebe must now come to grips with the loss of their oldest sister, and the loss of the Power of Three. However, The Source discovers an unknown sister - the daughter of Patty and her whitelighter Sam, who had been kept hidden, Paige, the now-youngest Halliwell can restore the Power of Three and reunite the sisters' strength as witches.

While not as stunning as it's Part 1, "Charmed Again" Part 2 continues the storyline very well by giving Paige more time to adjust to events of last episode while the Source getting involved in a deadly plan to turn Paige to his side. The writers continue to develop Paige well and not just forcing her join her sisters right away. They are handling Paige journey toward her destiny with time and Rose McGowan continues to give wonderful performance that shines throughout. It's great watching Paige looking into her past and I loved the scene in church where the nun describes to her the day Sam and Patty gave her up for adoption. Holly and Alyssa also continue to work well with the storyline, showing no sign of needing Shannen to lead them in their performances. It's nice watching the sisters struggling to save the day without Prue for the first time, as it's obviously not easy. One scene in particular where Phoebe finally breaks down about losing Prue shows this, my only nitpick is that Alyssa wasn't too convincing in that scene even a bit fake (could it be she still had some deep animosity for Shannen at that point still?) But I love Piper and Phoebe's interaction with Paige as it's quite hilarious, especially when they help Paige discover her power. It's great that Paige's power different from Prue and telekinetic-orbing is another cool power the series has developed.

Once again, it's great to see the Source again and in action, especially the way he gets Paige to almost kill a man. The Source is seen to be very manilpulative and it's great watching him hitting Paige at the core of who she is. The action and special effects are looking very polish this season as there has been a budget increase. Scenes of the gargoyles coming to life at the church and the sisters battling the Source for the first time at the manor all bring stunning effects. The episode ends with Piper and Phoebe introducing Paige to their mother. it's truly touching moment and Rose was so moving in that scene. "Charmed Again" Part 2, as well as Part 1, make for the finest season premiere Charmed has ever had. It introduces a wonderful new chapter for the series as this new set of Charmed Ones have one hell of battle up ahead for them.
  • Paige can't accept she is a witch and runs away to the Church she was found in. Meanwhile the source uses a 48 hour window to try to turn her evil

7.9
    Still a little too melodramatic for my tastes and yet just ever so slightly better than the last episode. Part of this comes from the fact that the source goes on the offensive himself, a major risk on his part, surely. He posseses Paige's boyfriend and persuades her to attack a man who she believes is abusing his Children. Ah yeah did I mention, Paige is a lower ranked social worker.

There are little elements in this spisode which I really liked and could be built on nicely. Paige going back to the church she was found in is a very good scene. The Nun in particular describing Sam and Patty as Angelic is extremely well played. The religious side is something that is rarely played on in Charmed, I've got a feeling that it is not going to go much further but having the Nun as a recurring character would be an interesting direction to take. Also the scene when Paige discovers her orbing telikinesis with the girls in the Church is good.

The source is an interesting bad, downplayed in grandiose majesty from last season his directness is refreshing. Most big bads sit in the shadows sending their minions in, not him it seems. I don't like his posh accent presentation much but that can be forgiven. The get off the floor film rewind thing is cliqued though.

Phoebe breaks down in this episode finally and Paige seems ever more the older sister for comforting her. Just like last episode this is a sudden change around for the character and I like it. She still seems slighly bitter about Paige as well which will hopefully be a good thing for her character.

Detective Cortez who has been shimmered to the hell pit by Cole (very funny and yet mis-guided on his part) is saved and brought back to earth by Leo only to crusade on exposing the Haliwells. It takes Leo to save his life for him to accept that he was wrong. I don't know if Cortez will ever appear again and if he doesn't then I'm sure he's enjoying himself off in Timbuktu. What's the weather like out there by the way I've never been there before?

So now we have the power of 3 again, hopefully Paige will develop nicely as a character this season.
  • The Source killed my budgie!

Clever episode this. It works perfectly as the second half of a two parter yet, at the same time, has a very different feel to the first half. The funeral is most definitely over and the race is now on to save Paige from turning evil. It may not have the bombshells of part one but it does have a great script and some fantastic action.

With Shax vanquished, the Charmed Ones must now face the Source of All Evil. Great idea to have him possess Shane. Jordan Bridges I thought was very average as Shane in part one but he really shines in this episode. Like Alyssa, he does creepy far better than bubbly. The effects are good too - particularly the way he rises from the floor.

The scene in the church is, of course, a Charmed classic. The writers have obviously put a lot of thought into Paige and her telekinesis is cleverly done. I love the way her eyes light up when she is told she has a power. There are a few naff moments. As if the Source would stab Cole then walk off with him still alive. Don't they watch films in the Underworld? They always come back! And given that whitelighters can't heal Cole's demonic half, what difference would Paige being there make? Two whitelighters would be no better than one. I also couldn't see much point to the exposure subplot this week, although it was funny to see Cortez in the Underworld.

Last week, Phoebe and Piper were very much their old selves. This week, they each seem to have shifted one rung up the ladder. Piper is now headstrong and mistrustful, Phoebe is trying to keep the peace between her elder and younger sisters and Paige is reckless and fancyfree. Haven't we been here before?
  • The second part of Charmed Again.

I love this episode, better than the first part, SO MUCH better.

The Source sends Shax to kill Prue, and now the sisters seek revenge for the Source. However, without the Power of Three, the sisters can do nothing. Unless they convince their half-sister, Paige Matthews, before the Source kills her.

Cole Turner, used to be an evil demon, and also Phoebe's boyfriend, sacrifice himself to save the sisters (Luckily he survive). Things don't go well to Paige, when her boyfriend Shane, has been possessed by the Source. And now the Source is using him to manipulate Paige in order to kill the remaining Charmed Ones, Piper and Phoebe Halliwell.
  • The conclusion to the season opener! One of the best individual episodes in Charmed.

It was a great episode! I don't know if it was good enough as a season opener, but definetely good enough as individual episode.

The whole story, and the way we saw it, was original and good enough to make a great episode. The whole "Open Door" thing, the dinamic of the episode, the scenes and the story itself were amazing. The story has a very "quick" theme. First searching Paige, then trying to save her, then trying to "exorcist" her! It has no boring scenes were they are sit there and doing nothing! Anyway, It would have been great see them with more about Prue, we only see the Phoebe's bad sad scene. I hate so much this scene, despite the fact that I didn't like the acting, I didn't like the dialogue: It was like "I don't miss Prue, I am only scared because I am gonna die"

The whole effects and story in this episode was so damn great! Love the scene when Piper goes downstairs trough the mark of stairs and then with no cuts she goes down rolling :D It was one of the best stunts scenes in the whole story of Charmed! Love it! We see the Source by the first time! And we see the schoking power thingy and the make you fly too! So why he didn't use it in the Charmed and Dangerous episode??? I think that some episodes like this one make the whole Dangerous and Charmed (I wrote it badly!) looks like a "stupid" finale for the Source.

The stunt work was not the only great thing in this episode. I loved the spell think about see what is under the face! You know what I mean... To end, the off-screen camera was awesome! I really loved the scene when Paige throws a lamp to the sister, and a lot of scenes were filmed this way! :D And we see a great photography in this episode, usually the photography is normal, here we can see it clearly, specially in the attic scene! And, I have never say that, cause usually is not a big big thing... but I loved the costume work! Piper looked amazing and so did Phoebe! So I think that the episode is very enjoyable and with tons of action so... 9 one! It is not a 10 because some things were kinda forced, like saving cole with the whole "I am half-whitelighter" thing, and the ending, Prue's dead and Phebe says "We can be sad the rest of ours lifes!!!" For God's sakes no one would never say that! I really loved when we saw that the mother is the one that hits the son! Great
  • Excellent, excellent episode! Welcome.. Paige!

Meet Paige Matthews, twenty-something, assistant social worker... a charmed one!

In this episode, which has everything, greif, humour, insight, absolutely awesome effects and demons, Paige discovers she is a witch, and piper and phoebe accept they have another sister, in the face of mourning prue's death.

Why oh why are the other seasons not this good! I had forgotten how awesome season 4 is until I watched it again!

The source tries to lure paige over to evil, and he almost succeeds, but in the end blood is thicker than water and paige sides with her sisters, thus re constituting the charmed ones, better and more powerful than ever before!

BEST ep! Go Paige!
  • Fantastic

when i heard shannon wasn't going to be n it anymore, i thought it would get rubbish!! But i was proved wrong when i watched this episode, that made me cry (due to the acting by Holly Marie Combs as Piper)I thought it was fantastic and i love the new character of Paige, as she brings a quirky edge to Charmed that it never really had before. Definately one of the best episodes of Charmed, because it had everything from romance, demons, grieve to new relationships being formed. After wathching all seasons, up to 8, i have to say, i love the Rose McGowan episodes more than the shannon ones!!
  • And the introduction of Paige continues.

Picking up where the last episode ended, it still looks like Paige wants nothing to do with the sisters, but she may not have a choice as it lookslike the source is closing in...

It followed up part 1 very well, it gave us the amazing back story to Paige and how she came to the church on August 2nd 1970. And of course we see Paige's reaction to purposley using her power for the first time!

Them we have the sister's very first direct confrontation with the source. And it looks like he may just be the most powerful and scary demon yet! And the episode end's perfectly with Paige meeting, Patty, her birth mother for the first time! And the acting in this scene is beutiful.

All in all, an amazing beginning to a new story int he 'Charmed' legacy.
  • A Fine Episode!

In this episode, Paige becomes more acquainted with her powers as the Source takes on various bodies hoping to lure her to the dark side.

The whole idea of the Source in different bodies freaked me out! I hated the way the eyes changed and that Shane/Shawn guy... but it was a well written episode, that was very entertaining..

• A great episode!

In this episode, Paige becomes more acquinted with her powers as the Source takes on various bodies hoping to lure her to the dark side.

A very fine episode indeed!
  • Paige fills in the gap left by Prues death in the Power of three...

For many reasons this episode has been questioned. The first time I saw it, I saw it in german. And Rose McGowans voice in german is high-pitched and unbearable really. Which imho is why the germanviewers can\'t stand her.

But let\'s start with Prue/Shannen. The fact that she didn\'t die on the show was good. Seeing that they would have had to film at least two episodes with Piper and Pheobe trying to get Prue back. Obviously they couldn\'t do that since no one wants to watch someone moan.

But I always thought that there should have been pictures of her, maybe a little film showing Prudence with her sisters or even an appearance as a ghost later in the show. Unfortunately that didn\'t work out and I do believe that the show lost because of it.

The first time I saw this episode in english was only recently (May 2006) and my opinion about Paige/Rose has completely changed. Her voice really fits her appearance (as opposed to her german voice) and her acting is good. She feels almost as real as Piper/Holly. Also I think that Paige being a fun character and less tight than Prue was even in the third season she will lighten up the series. I can\'t wait to see that happen!

All this guilt upon not saving ONE innocent when you just saved 100 last week or the whole world :) was getting a little ridiculous. I\'m curious to find out what Paige will bring us and I beg not to juge because of what you felt about Prue.

Blessed be :)
  • Blood is thicker than evil!

In part 2 of Charmed Again, Pheobe & Piper decide to save Paige because no matter what she is still their sister, and like Piper said, blood is thicker than evil.

Paige finds out she has magical powers, which are cool by the way, due to the fact that she's half whitelighter.

The source surfaces so he can try & get Paige to use her powers for evil, and Cole goes off to look for him & gets stabbed by the Source in the process.

The end was my favorite part of the episode. The sisters finally begin to accept that Paige is their sister & welcome her into the family, then they take her back home with them to meet Patty for the first time.
  • Prue and Phoebe try to get there half sister paige back before the sorce turns her evil.. They also try to tell Paige that she has the power to move objects with her mind but in paige's case its with a twist because shes have whitelighter!

This episode is really good we get to see Paige's power and how she can also orbe! I think that the charmed ones are more powerful with paige just because they dont have to drive everywhere they go now! And i liked it how they made her powers different from prues!
  • Another Great Installment

I've just watched this episode and it was as fantastic as Charmed Again (1). I still don't get why Paige broke the mirror or how she automatically knew she was a whitelighter but I tend to always overlook those errors. I thought it was good to pring Patty back at the end but they should have bought Grams back as well seen she is Paige's Grandmother as well.