Charmed

Charmed Again (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2001 on The WB

• The Source killed my budgie!

Clever episode this. It works perfectly as the second half of a two parter yet, at the same time, has a very different feel to the first half. The funeral is most definitely over and the race is now on to save Paige from turning evil. It may not have the bombshells of part one but it does have a great script and some fantastic action.

With Shax vanquished, the Charmed Ones must now face the Source of All Evil. Great idea to have him possess Shane. Jordan Bridges I thought was very average as Shane in part one but he really shines in this episode. Like Alyssa, he does creepy far better than bubbly. The effects are good too - particularly the way he rises from the floor.

The scene in the church is, of course, a Charmed classic. The writers have obviously put a lot of thought into Paige and her telekinesis is cleverly done. I love the way her eyes light up when she is told she has a power. There are a few naff moments. As if the Source would stab Cole then walk off with him still alive. Don't they watch films in the Underworld? They always come back! And given that whitelighters can't heal Cole's demonic half, what difference would Paige being there make? Two whitelighters would be no better than one. I also couldn't see much point to the exposure subplot this week, although it was funny to see Cortez in the Underworld.

Last week, Phoebe and Piper were very much their old selves. This week, they each seem to have shifted one rung up the ladder. Piper is now headstrong and mistrustful, Phoebe is trying to keep the peace between her elder and younger sisters and Paige is reckless and fancyfree. Haven't we been here before?