Charmed

Charmed Again (2)

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 2001 on The WB

• 'There's a lot going on in this hour and a few of the subplots fall flat on their face'

Not quite the catastrophe I remember it to be, or maybe I'm just in a forgiving mood, but Part 2 is a solid conclusion to the premiere, if a little lackluster in comparison to the 1st part. This is Rose's episode and it highlights her strengths and weaknesses as an actor, but she still manages to pull it off.

Down the line, Rose's slant on Paige changes, presumably it had something to do with the producers, as she sports a new fiery look next season, but I really do like this Paige far better than what becomes of her later on. She seems more down to earth and Rose just comes across far better for it. Sure, her reaction-acting needs quite the touch up – in fact, someone should seriously talk to her about it – but, for the most part, she impressed me.

There's a lot going on in this hour and a few of the subplots fall flat on their face. I'm still not impressed by the Source, if he has such great power why can't he kill the CO's with the blink of an eye? (It eludes me why he's in a weakened state – he can kill birds and old men without so much as a second's thought, what stops him from doing the same to Piper?) The entire Cortez subplot felt entirely superfluous given the finale dealt with the same threat in more a satisfying manner than this. The sunglasses bit also didn't click with me.

There are a few neat twists (especially the reveal that the mother is the one who abuses her child) and the idea of Paige orbing away someone's heart highlights the more sinister aspect of Magic within the Charmed-verse. It also ends on a high as Paige meets her biological mother and I liked it all the more for the very fact it fades out just as they introduce themselves to one another.