Charmed

Charmed and Dangerous

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Feb 07, 2002 on The WB

• GOTCHA!

So the Source is finally gone. It took a clever bit of spellwriting from Phoebe but it seems Prue is avenged at last.

This is probably the darkest episode so far. The sense of despair is palpable and, for the first time in the series, the sisters truly believe their fate is sealed. Compare Piper's reaction to Leo's shooting to that in "Love Hurts". She almost cannot be bothered to try.

The Hollow is a brilliant idea and the effects are awesome. I particularly liked the way it lit up the attic at the end. As so often, though, it would have been good to have had at least a mention of it in earlier episodes.

There's some wonderful acting this week. All the regulars do well and the pain on Brian's face is frighteningly real. Debbi Morgan has a real presence as the Seer and makes a great baddie - much better than the Oracle. Peter Woodward also does a fine job as the Source but I'm not sure he's really the right choice for the part. Should they have shown his face? I think the jury's still out on that one.

Poor Cole. In trying to protect Phoebe, he absorbs the Source's powers, which leads ultimately to his death. The scene at the end where his eyes turn black is, for me, one of the saddest in the whole series.

This is a great episode but one which could have been even better had there been a bit more build-up. What made "Sleuthing with the Enemy" so good was the way the tension grew over a number of weeks. This installment, which has an even bigger storyline, instead comes after four weeks of filler episodes. As the Source himself says: "Feels almost anticlimactic after all this time, doesn't it?" I have to agree.