Charmed

Charmed Noir

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2004 on The WB

• Flesh and Gnome

Charmed Noir is Rose McGowan's favorite episode of Charmed and it's no surprise really. She has stated in interviews that she's a massive fan of the 1940's and she gets to really act like she's back in those times in this excellent episode.

The episode begins with Paige and Brody investigating the murder of a gnome at Magic School (I originally thought "better turn off my TV" but I stuck with it, thank god!) before inadvertently getting sucked into a novel, which leads them into a weird dimension set in the 1940's with gangsters and the mafia, all filmed in glorious black and white.

Doing experimental episodes is extremely rare for Charmed but this episode really works. I loved how whatever was written in the book actually happened to Paige and Brody (like the piano falling down, for instance) and I loved how everything that this real noir-ish feel to it. You really get captured into the excitement of the time period and you can really see that Rose McGowan and Kerr Smith had a blast making it. I loved the idea of the Burmese falcon and I loved all the character names of the guest stars (Johnny the Gent and Mr Lips for instance).

Bug Hall gave a brilliant performance as Eddie Mullen, who is trapped in the book after the murder of his brother, you genuinely feel for him and it's nice to see that he escapes the book at the end. The closing shot, with Paige and Brody having their first kiss in front of the big red neon sign outside the apartment was also a really cool moment. This episode exudes a real sense of fun which hasn't been seen on the show in ages. Well done writers!
  • Absolutely classic! Read on for details..

Charmed Noir is reputably Rose McGowans favorite episode, which is obvious after watching and seeing the excellent acting and chemistry by her and Kerr Smith (Agent Brody). A grumpy gnome, after an argument with the librarian of magic school, gets sucked into a book entitled 'Crossed and Double Crossed', which is set in the 1930's. Upon finding his body, which has been shot, Paige gets in "Kyle" to help her investigate, when they both unwittingly get sucked into the book, but manage to excape the corrupt detectives who shot the gnome. They dress up in old fashioned clothes and along with the music and black and white picture, it is very effective!

Phoebe find she can add to the book but not change their desicions, and it is cool to see how what Phoebe writes goes into the book, eg the piano. A few funny remarks made as well, even as simple as Piper-" Why is the G silent" at an odd moment. Even Phoebe's matchmaking attempts are funny. Indeed all three sisters act very well, especially Paige.

A+!
  • PAPERBACK WRITER

Paperback Writer

After a very weak start, this turns out to be one of the most novel (pun intended) episodes of the whole series, with Paige and Kyle getting sucked into a very cool black and white world inside a book.

The first fifteen minutes are very slow, with the writers bizarrely thinking we'll be interested in who has shot a garden gnome. Errr....no! Far too much time is spent faffing around at the crime scene when it's obvious the book is the answer. Phoebe's little lecture about finding love is incredibly annoying - I'm not sure what Curtis Kheel was thinking here.

The moment Paige and Kyle enter the book, however, the episode changes completely. Inside, the set designers have created a very faithful reproduction of an old detective movie, with classy costumes and stacks of clever references. It's beautifully filmed and Rose gives an excellent performance throughout - it's clear she's really enjoying the role. I'm not a fan of black and white films myself but I can see why those who are would absolutely love this episode.

The story inside the novel is non-existent but that hardly matters. The clever part is that Phoebe is able to change the plot by writing in the book - but only up to a point. She can add single events (the piano crashing down is hilarious) but the book always finds a way to cross her. I guess it's in the title.

By way of a sub plot, Leo is trying to get Piper to go on a date but Piper is suspicious of his sudden change of mood. She's right, of course, but I still feel for Leo - he only became an avatar to save her life. Liked his trick with the roses btw.

So we've now had the Charmed Ones inside a painting, a film and a book. Better stay away from that Xbox, girls!

Score: 9.2
  • I love this episode!

After the very disappointing episode "Once in a Blue Moon", this episode shows that Charmed is still one of the best series in tv. Good episode, not filler at all. Agent Brody and Paige are sucked into a unfinished novel written by two magic school student 20 years ago. Inside the novel they are chased by a group of gangster. Paige power's doesn't word in the reality world, so Phoebe, Piper and Leo help her by finishing the novel. Oh My God, this is the best episode I've ever watch in this series yet!! I totally love this episode. I LOVE CHARMED!!!
  • I love this episode. This is why.

I love this episode. Many elements made this a memorial episode for me. I have to say: I am not a huge Rose McGowan fan but she rocked his episode. She pulled a perfect Lana Turner. The play on the film genre was well laid out. It did not seen to corny or over played. I was happy to see Phoebe being useful again. The episode gave a great opening to move Paige and Agent Brody’s relationship along. I think they crowning moment of this all around great episode was the end. Seeing Piper and Leo trying to make a life again together ( because that is how they should be) was heartwarming.
  • The Power of Three and the Case of the Dead Gnome

5.8
    The Power of Three and the Case of the Dead Gnome

Main Storyline:
    While investigating the mysterious murder of a gnome, Paige and Brody are sucked into the book, "Crossed, Double-Crossed." The actual plot had me sleeping, but I liked the whole black/white (I mean, African-American/Caucasian) thing. It added a whole new element to the story. But all in all, the Burmese Falcon + Long Lost Brothers - 1 Brother = Snorefest.

Sub-Plots:
    1. Leo's Avatar Status: So, he can conjure roses, heal dead people, and refrain from being sucked into a mysterious cursed mystery novel. But can he touch his nose with his tongue? I think not.
    2. Paige and Kyle's Romance: Solving crimes must get tiring, and this dynamic duo has already solved three in the past two weeks. They have great chemistry and I sure hope Kerr Smith sticks around.
    3. Piper and Leo's Romance: Even with roses abound, Piper turns down Leo's request for a date. Can I get a collective sigh here? Awwww!
    4. Phoebe's Love Connections: Wait a tick. The woman who can't hold a relationship for more than 10 episodes (Cole didn't count. He was a demon-turned good-turned demon-turned good-turned Source of all Evil-turned "good"- turned invincible demon-turned dead. No wonder his last name was Turner.) is trying to be a little matchmaker? Whatever. Next thing you know, Phoebe'll have her own advice column or something crazy like that!

This episode definitely took a turn for the worst from last week, but unless they aired "All Hell Breaks Loose," I don't see how any episode (save a few) would measure up against "Someone to Witch Over Me." Still, the subplots were there, and they hit home.

Grade: B
  • This is my favorite Season 7 episode!

When I was a little kid, I LOVED watching old b/w movies on Sunday afternoons. Especially, the private eye flicks and other murder mysteries. They were my second favorite genre, after science fiction!

And, that's why I equally love the fact that the "interior" of the magical book was also black and white. It gave a true feeling of "retro-ness" to the unfinished story that everyone was forced to experience.

As for the book, itself? There are only four words that can adequately describe it. And, those four words are: a real "Paige Turner!"

Sorry; I couldn't resist.
  • Crossed and Double crossed

In the libraryt at magic school a teacher is found dead outside of a book. Paige and Brody go to investigate it but get sucked into the book. The book is called crossed and double crossed. The only way to get out is if your dead. Everyone in the book is looking for this mysterious falcon. The novel is set in the 20s so Paige and Brody have to look the part. Phoebe learns that she can write in plot twists to save them but that isn't enough. A guy shot Brody and tried to kill Paige but then the kid who wrote the story destroyed the falcon. Everyone came out and the boy went home to his parents. Phoebe finially called Brody Kyle. This episode was so cool since I wasn't around in the 20s.
  • Charmed Noir

Charmed Noir was a superb and very entertaining episode of Charmed and I really enjoyed watching because the story was fun, different and full of intrigue. It was great to see Paige and Brody working together as she opens up the magical world to him more. Piper decides to ask Leo for help despite every thing else and he gets help from the other Avatars. The fictional world inside the book was great and well done by all production staff and the actors. I liked the way every thing ended, like a truly good story should. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Paige and Brody get sucked into a book that is based in the 1930s. Starring: Alyssa Milano, Rose McGowan, and Holly Marie Combs as "Piper", Brian Krause

Rose McGowan loves the 1920s, the 1930s, and the 1940s and such, and the writers gave her the episode so that she could get the experience, i guess. Well, for several shows that have episodes in the past like this, like Smallville and One Tree Hill, they seem to turn out disastrous, and Charmed turned in a good episode, one that i really enjoyed. I liked the feuding between the staff for Magic School, and i thought it really showed some of the experiences that Paige (Rose McGowan) could go through. I liked how Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) could throw in plot twists. I really loved that Phoebe began to call Brody, Kyle, i thought that it was funny. I was really shocked on the content of the episode as i expected it to be worse, and enjoyed the episode.
  • The 30s Are Alright

Charmed Noir-Paige and Agent Brody, are drawn into an unfinished novel that takes place in the 1930s, and they must elude the gangsters in pursuit of the famed Burmese Falcon. Meanwhile, Phoebe, Piper and Leo work to re-write the novel to help get Paige and Brody out of it, before they're killed.

Well, this is somethingyou can't really say enoughabout Charmed during these years of the series: What an awesome episode! I have to say, when I first watch Charmed Noir back when it aired, I was bored out of mine. But since then, I come to appreciate and love film noirs, there's just something about that era of Hollywood that is legendary and mesmerising. I've even wrote a film noir fan fic! So upon re-watch, it's no wonder I fell in love with this episode. Sure it starts off in a non-surprisingly bad fashion, with a garden gnome (thank God only for the teaser!) gets shot! Now if all someone would kill all those fairies, nymphs and other magical creatures thatruin this show with their sweetness were killed, I'd be in heaven! Anyway, after that, the episode...well...rocks! I have to say, I haven't seen an episode of Charmed this fun since the early years. The script had some snappy dialogue and great characters, not to mention once Paige and Kyle are sucked into a book, it really does feel like a film noir! Also, for the first time in a while, Rose McGowan is taking her lines seriously as well as having fun throughout the episode. Which isn't surprising considering Rose is a major fan of the 1930s and 40s style as well as film and has said numerous times that this was her favorite episode of Charmed.

The noir lingo was also pretty hilarious like Paige and Kyle being called "Lana and the Fed" and one of the gangtsers telling Paige "don't get smart with me legs!" Once again, I loved the guest stars like Bug Hall as Eddie and especiallyAl Sapienza as Johnny the Gent who is perfect in the classic sleazeball villain role of the noir. We also get some nice moments with Phoebe, Piper and Leo trying to save Paige and Kyle. I loved that whatever Phobe wrote, it happened in the story yet they couldn't write them out. It's great way to get the sisters and Leo to help without being completely sidelined by Paige and Kyle's adventure. I especially loved the part where Phoeb writes the corrupt cop to make Piage flirt with him. The direction in the episode is really top notch, which is rare for Charmed. Not just the use of the black and white film, but the awesome camera angles and shots like when Phoebe writes in the flashback about Eddie's borther being murdered and the way it fades into the background behind Eddie was a brilliant effect. Even the rather cheesy ending with Paige and Kyle's kiss was great and ture to the noir style. All and All, while it's probably the most underrated episode of the seires, "Charmed Noir" works in all levels giving the audience both style and substance. More episodes like this, please!

• Great episode but being in black and white bored me a little.

While investigating a murder at Magic School, Paige and Agent Brody are sucked into an unfinished novel written 20 years ago by two students. They suddenly find themselves in a 1930s film noir, where they are chased by gangsters in pursuit of the famed Burmese Falcon. With no way to escape, Paige and Brody must help Eddie Mullen, the missing young author of the novel, learn to be a hero so the story can end. Back at Magic School, Phoebe, Piper and Leo frantically try to rescue Paige and Brody by writing clues into the pages of the novel. Meanwhile, Phoebe tries to help Leo win Piper back, but Piper is still struggling with her feelings.
  • Getting into books litterally.

This is one of my favorte episodes of them all. Once again the show takes an experimental approach and it's a sucess. This episode is obviously a love letter to the Noir genere. I myself am a fan of Noir and mysterys. I mainly got into the genere when I watched Magnum P.I. when I was about six. In a strange way this episode is slight similar to a noir episode the show Magnum P.I. did one time. Anyway this show has the black and white cinamatorgraphy which captured the feel and look of film noir movies back then. The narrative style, the fashion, even the dialog was clever and creative. And of course there were some little in jokes in the dialog to Humphy Bogart films like "Casablanca" and "The Big Sleep". Even the plot in the book was an injoke to "The Matanese Falcon". And of course the whole adventure plays fair with the world of books and noir. For example: Pheobe tries to write a set of sentances to end the book imediately but all the pens don't work and Piper explains the reason why is because it wouldn't be fair; Pheobe can only put in a few obsticales or create situations but it's up to the heroes in the story to get themselves out of it so the story can write itself. Much like in the video games you play you have to do the work to get to the next level. But most of the credit has to be handed to Rose and Kerr. Both of them acted perfectly and you can tell both enjoyed doing the episode. Page defently fit the Female Fatale role reminicent of Lauren Bacall. And Brody as sort of a Humphy Bogart factor. Although the show wasn't just all fun but actually developed more of the Page and Broady relationship which doesn't disapoint from begining to the end when both of them kiss for the first time underneith a neon sign romantic noir style.
  • Beyond Brilliant

I knew this episode was going to be good, after reading some reviews and reading a tiny part of the plot I knew for sure this was going to be one of the best episodes ever!

While investigating a murder at Magic School, Paige (Rose McGowan) and Agent Brody (Kerr Smith) are sucked into an unfinished novel written 20 years ago by two students. They suddenly find themselves in a 1930s film noir, where they are chased by gangsters in pursuit of the famed Burmese Falcon

I was glad Paige was the sister who got sucked into the novel, she was perfect for the part. I loved the romance between Paige and Agent Brody it seemed soo real and true Rose Mckgown acted extremly well and looked good for the part aswell. You could tell that both Rose Mckgown and Kerr Smith both enjoyed filming this episode, due to their fantastic peformance. It was also good seeing a story revolved around Paige, as mostly every episode has been revolved around Phoebe for a number of seasons.

The black and white idea was extremly good and made the episode actually seem like it was in the right time, the costumes looked really right and well chosen.

This episode was good from the start till the end. (A MUST WATCH)
  • i really hate this episode

5.6
    Well I got to be honest this was a cheesy episode but to a certain extent it was rather amusing being sucked into unfinished novel by one of magic school students, that poor norm had no idea what it was going to get killed. Paige and Brody getting sucked into the novel was rather cool to a certain extent, I hate black & white movie so this episode was an episode I wasn’t looking forward to last week. Despite this I have to say it wasn’t as bad I thought it was going to be? When did Paige have power to orb people by waving her hand?, I thought she hold hands to orb people?

It was great to see the Avatar again helping Leo but also helps us to understand more about how their powers worked, so somehow all of them are connected and I loved that appear and disappear like a flash. I think next week sister find out about Leo, looking forward to that episode.
LIFE