Charmed

Charmed Noir

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2004 on The WB

• Getting into books litterally.

This is one of my favorte episodes of them all. Once again the show takes an experimental approach and it's a sucess. This episode is obviously a love letter to the Noir genere. I myself am a fan of Noir and mysterys. I mainly got into the genere when I watched Magnum P.I. when I was about six. In a strange way this episode is slight similar to a noir episode the show Magnum P.I. did one time. Anyway this show has the black and white cinamatorgraphy which captured the feel and look of film noir movies back then. The narrative style, the fashion, even the dialog was clever and creative. And of course there were some little in jokes in the dialog to Humphy Bogart films like "Casablanca" and "The Big Sleep". Even the plot in the book was an injoke to "The Matanese Falcon". And of course the whole adventure plays fair with the world of books and noir. For example: Pheobe tries to write a set of sentances to end the book imediately but all the pens don't work and Piper explains the reason why is because it wouldn't be fair; Pheobe can only put in a few obsticales or create situations but it's up to the heroes in the story to get themselves out of it so the story can write itself. Much like in the video games you play you have to do the work to get to the next level. But most of the credit has to be handed to Rose and Kerr. Both of them acted perfectly and you can tell both enjoyed doing the episode. Page defently fit the Female Fatale role reminicent of Lauren Bacall. And Brody as sort of a Humphy Bogart factor. Although the show wasn't just all fun but actually developed more of the Page and Broady relationship which doesn't disapoint from begining to the end when both of them kiss for the first time underneith a neon sign romantic noir style.