Charmed

Charmed Noir

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2004 on The WB

• PAPERBACK WRITER

Paperback Writer

After a very weak start, this turns out to be one of the most novel (pun intended) episodes of the whole series, with Paige and Kyle getting sucked into a very cool black and white world inside a book.

The first fifteen minutes are very slow, with the writers bizarrely thinking we'll be interested in who has shot a garden gnome. Errr....no! Far too much time is spent faffing around at the crime scene when it's obvious the book is the answer. Phoebe's little lecture about finding love is incredibly annoying - I'm not sure what Curtis Kheel was thinking here.

The moment Paige and Kyle enter the book, however, the episode changes completely. Inside, the set designers have created a very faithful reproduction of an old detective movie, with classy costumes and stacks of clever references. It's beautifully filmed and Rose gives an excellent performance throughout - it's clear she's really enjoying the role. I'm not a fan of black and white films myself but I can see why those who are would absolutely love this episode.

The story inside the novel is non-existent but that hardly matters. The clever part is that Phoebe is able to change the plot by writing in the book - but only up to a point. She can add single events (the piano crashing down is hilarious) but the book always finds a way to cross her. I guess it's in the title.

By way of a sub plot, Leo is trying to get Piper to go on a date but Piper is suspicious of his sudden change of mood. She's right, of course, but I still feel for Leo - he only became an avatar to save her life. Liked his trick with the roses btw.

So we've now had the Charmed Ones inside a painting, a film and a book. Better stay away from that Xbox, girls!

Score: 9.2