Charmed

Charmed Noir

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Nov 14, 2004 on The WB

• The 30s Are Alright

Charmed Noir-Paige and Agent Brody, are drawn into an unfinished novel that takes place in the 1930s, and they must elude the gangsters in pursuit of the famed Burmese Falcon. Meanwhile, Phoebe, Piper and Leo work to re-write the novel to help get Paige and Brody out of it, before they're killed.

Well, this is somethingyou can't really say enoughabout Charmed during these years of the series: What an awesome episode! I have to say, when I first watch Charmed Noir back when it aired, I was bored out of mine. But since then, I come to appreciate and love film noirs, there's just something about that era of Hollywood that is legendary and mesmerising. I've even wrote a film noir fan fic! So upon re-watch, it's no wonder I fell in love with this episode. Sure it starts off in a non-surprisingly bad fashion, with a garden gnome (thank God only for the teaser!) gets shot! Now if all someone would kill all those fairies, nymphs and other magical creatures thatruin this show with their sweetness were killed, I'd be in heaven! Anyway, after that, the episode...well...rocks! I have to say, I haven't seen an episode of Charmed this fun since the early years. The script had some snappy dialogue and great characters, not to mention once Paige and Kyle are sucked into a book, it really does feel like a film noir! Also, for the first time in a while, Rose McGowan is taking her lines seriously as well as having fun throughout the episode. Which isn't surprising considering Rose is a major fan of the 1930s and 40s style as well as film and has said numerous times that this was her favorite episode of Charmed.

The noir lingo was also pretty hilarious like Paige and Kyle being called "Lana and the Fed" and one of the gangtsers telling Paige "don't get smart with me legs!" Once again, I loved the guest stars like Bug Hall as Eddie and especiallyAl Sapienza as Johnny the Gent who is perfect in the classic sleazeball villain role of the noir. We also get some nice moments with Phoebe, Piper and Leo trying to save Paige and Kyle. I loved that whatever Phobe wrote, it happened in the story yet they couldn't write them out. It's great way to get the sisters and Leo to help without being completely sidelined by Paige and Kyle's adventure. I especially loved the part where Phoeb writes the corrupt cop to make Piage flirt with him. The direction in the episode is really top notch, which is rare for Charmed. Not just the use of the black and white film, but the awesome camera angles and shots like when Phoebe writes in the flashback about Eddie's borther being murdered and the way it fades into the background behind Eddie was a brilliant effect. Even the rather cheesy ending with Paige and Kyle's kiss was great and ture to the noir style. All and All, while it's probably the most underrated episode of the seires, "Charmed Noir" works in all levels giving the audience both style and substance. More episodes like this, please!