A Charmed Community
The WB (ended 2006)

Perhaps CBS has finally run out of ideas, because according to Vulture, the network has ordered a pilot script for a re-imagining of Charmed. The series, which originally starred Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, and Alyssa Milano as three sisters who were also witches, ran on The WB from 1998 until 2006. Doherty eventually left the series after Season 3 (at which point, so did yours truly), but Rose McGowan gracefully stepped in as a magical fourth half-sibling to keep the series main theme, "the Power of Three," going strong.

Though the characters gained more powers as the series went on, they originally each had one ability. Prue, the eldest sibling, boasted the power of telekinesis, Piper could freeze time (Wikipedia would like you know that such a skill is actually called "molecular immobilization"), and Phoebe had the boring, not-particularly-helpful-in-life-and-death-situations power of premonitions. 

But instead of discussing why CBS is suddenly acting like NBC, and instead of pulling out the "It's only been X amount of years!" or the "What happened to original ideas?" cards that I'd really, really like to use, let's skip right ahead to casting this bitch witch. If this pilot script makes it to the filming stage, who would you like to see take on the roles of Prue, Piper, and Phoebe Halliwell (I'm just going to assume McGowan's Paige is off the table for obvious reasons)?

After roughly 10 minutes of deep thought and discussion with my colleagues—during which I seriously reflected on the problems created by Hollywood's insistence on casting women in their mid-to-late 20s as teenagers—I settled on the following picks for the new Halliwell sisters:

1. Tammin Sursok of Pretty Little Liars as eldest sister Prue, because she'd be the kind of woman to get shit done. 

2. Shelley Hennig of The Secret Circle as innocent (on the surface) middle sister Piper. 

3. Selena Gomez as young, wild child Phoebe (deal with it).

Are you, ahem, Charmed by this news? Who would you cast in this potential reboot?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2006

Season 8 : Episode 22

371 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 10:00 pm
    20/20
    NEW
    ABC