We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Charmed Community
The WB (ended 2006)

Perhaps CBS has finally run out of ideas, because according to Vulture, the network has ordered a pilot script for a re-imagining of Charmed. The series, which originally starred Shannen Doherty, Holly Marie Combs, and Alyssa Milano as three sisters who were also witches, ran on The WB from 1998 until 2006. Doherty eventually left the series after Season 3 (at which point, so did yours truly), but Rose McGowan gracefully stepped in as a magical fourth half-sibling to keep the series main theme, "the Power of Three," going strong.

Though the characters gained more powers as the series went on, they originally each had one ability. Prue, the eldest sibling, boasted the power of telekinesis, Piper could freeze time (Wikipedia would like you know that such a skill is actually called "molecular immobilization"), and Phoebe had the boring, not-particularly-helpful-in-life-and-death-situations power of premonitions. 

But instead of discussing why CBS is suddenly acting like NBC, and instead of pulling out the "It's only been X amount of years!" or the "What happened to original ideas?" cards that I'd really, really like to use, let's skip right ahead to casting this bitch witch. If this pilot script makes it to the filming stage, who would you like to see take on the roles of Prue, Piper, and Phoebe Halliwell (I'm just going to assume McGowan's Paige is off the table for obvious reasons)?

After roughly 10 minutes of deep thought and discussion with my colleagues—during which I seriously reflected on the problems created by Hollywood's insistence on casting women in their mid-to-late 20s as teenagers—I settled on the following picks for the new Halliwell sisters:

1. Tammin Sursok of Pretty Little Liars as eldest sister Prue, because she'd be the kind of woman to get shit done. 

2. Shelley Hennig of The Secret Circle as innocent (on the surface) middle sister Piper. 

3. Selena Gomez as young, wild child Phoebe (deal with it).

Are you, ahem, Charmed by this news? Who would you cast in this potential reboot?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2006

Season 8 : Episode 22

386 Comments
Comments (371)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
instead of a re-boot ... do a next generation type show with the main characters kids
Flag
remakes are for thew birds, keep the original actors . This is what made the show to begin with.
Flag
Please stop this remake! Spinoff: YES!
Flag
No recasTing please i just want to see all the main characters again maybe more mature but you can make the story like less aging for those charmed and chris and waytt is already grown up ..please im dying for this movie to be aired again ..
Flag
agreed
Flag
I don't want to see a remake, I want to see a spin-off, a new show that shows Wyatt and Chris battling demons!
Flag
I would love to see the original cast or the exception with rose. Played as older charmed ones instead of younger would be more realistic.
Flag
I would love to see that show return, I loved all the old actors I would like to see all the actors come back,mixed in with the new actors it would be great The Next Generation. And although I loved Pru I think Rose was a powerful addition to the show.
Flag
no they should not do a remake (definitely not with thous actresses) it wouldn't be able to compare to the power-house that is the original thus it would be a failure ruining charmed's good reputation and 9 time outta ten you only chose thous three because of there parts in wanna be charmed shows and i rebuke you and your sub-par casting skills #nobitch
Flag
I agree, it shouldn't start from the very beginning again. Then again, it's a remake. What did they do for 90210? I'd love to see someone like Alyssa Milano or Holly Marie Combs take the role of Patty, the Mother and someone similar to Susan Sarandon or some fun equivalent as Grams. I would love to see new storylines. But things like the book, powers, elders, etc. should be left the same or simply enhanced. As far as the choices, l don't particularly think much of these picks. I'd like to see them a little older than this.
Flag
I don't believe they should start at the beginning, it should be were it left off. The grown teenagers of the sister family to pick up were there mothers left off. Since Piper had boys I would assume one or both of them has her powers, and he should be their white lighter so to speak. Please do not try and re due the series, we like the show how it is unless you want another failed show on your hands, you just cannot compete with the original.
Flag
this is sooo true
Flag
i dont think selena is a good choice for phoebe because they are polar opposites im more like bring back prue
Flag
In all honesty the show needs a reboot many of us fans are caught up in emotions and seem to forget all the major plot holes in the show.The writers gave us a lot of shit after season 3 and we just sat and took it.The show needs to reboot and at least follow the rules it created.The prime example they said only women could get powers but Chris and Wyatt got so that and many other inconsistencies just destroyed the shows credibility
Flag
1. it called a plot twist and i keeps the story interesting if they didn't it would be to predictable and if the show was so bad you should have stopped watching da fuck
Flag
ok what about this, have charmed continue where it left off with them writing in the book, and use the parts after that as sort of a premonition of the future. Then you could have a new demon come along which is a power of 4 demon and they find a way to bring prue back to life, using the original characters Prue (Shannen Doherty), Piper (Holly marie combs), Pheobe (Alyssa Milano) and, then they could also have Paige (Rose McGowan) for the people who are fans of Paige (not me). That way you make the Prue fans and the Paige fans happy. You could also have the next generation of Halliwells in there too and then have the episodes continue from there.

This way it makes almost all the charmed fans happy. :)
what do you guys think?
Flag
Or Pru could just follow the grandmothers role as their spiritual influence along with their mother and Grandmother. Unless both mother and grandmother had moved on and re-born again.
Flag
I LOVE IT
Flag
That's sounds good I love charmed
Flag
Well that sounds interesting, how the powerful three could resurrect Prue then go back to the past again and have their mother and grandmother recreate the power of three into four. I figured they should use as many of the same actors as possible. Thats what made the movie. Using the three above definitely isn't going to conceal the perspective of the charmed legacy. What I'm saying is that they're going to need another decade to find the right characters and until then, the same 3 actors should be offered their jobs ;)
Flag
instead of rebooting do the next generation
Flag
with original cast, we do not want a failure
Flag
no the original left us with more questions than answers
Flag
if they did a reboot of Charmed without the original cast I would never watched it
Flag
I take the thumbs up back. You know we'd have to watch it. Agreeing with it and having that sense of comfort that the movie came out to the best of it's ability is another thing.
Flag
As a faithful follower since the beginning and through all the replays on TNT, I would keep the same people. Holly as Piper, Alyssa as Phoebe and Rose as Page. Shannen could appear like their mom and grams did as ghosts. Any other actresses would completely change where the series left off. It wouldn't be the same show, and cult followers would not follow.
Flag
i agree but i also had an idea of them bringing Prue back to life to defeat a power of 4 demon :)
Flag
i had to think long and hard who i would want to play the new charmed ones.

so here it goes,

1.i think the women need to be older so we want get that childish teen drama.having older women makes the show more mature and hopefully darker like the original charmed s1-4.

2.neve campbell as prue.for some strange reason neve seem to scream prue to me.she got the dark hair.that serious i mean business look.and neve just scream strong woman who i can see help raised her younger sisters.

3.jennifer love hewitt as piper.now for those who dont know she was suppose to play paige but turn it down because she was doing movies at the time and the role went to rose.so it would be nice to see jennifer play piper.not only that if you seen ghost whisperer you know jennifer got the same chops as holly marie combs has with all that emotional stuff.so jennifer can pull piper off i believe very well.

4.sarah michelle gellar as phoebe.i always said and we all know shannen got her friend holly the role of piper.now for those who dont know shannen is also friend with sarah.so i often wonder why shannen didnt get her other friend sarah to play phoebe.(i think shannen having two best friend on the show would have made a huge difference in charmed outcome)but sarah was doing buffy when charmed was going on.so i think it would be cool to see sarah in another action role.she played buffy ,so sarah knows how working on an action show will work.and sarah is by far a way better actress then lori and alyssa together.hopefully the crazy ones want work out so sarah can take the role of phoebe.

so those are the women i say get for the reboot.
neve campbell as prue
jennifer love hewitt as piper
and
sarah michelle gellar as phoebe.
More+
Flag
i just read some comments.what is up with people saying shannen,holly and alyssa was the original charmed ones.it was really shannen,holly,and lori at first.then it was shannen,holly and alyssa.then it was holly,alyssa and rose.i just hope if it goes through this new girls dont fight.im pretty happy about this ideal if they can fix the problems the original had and make it a darker show.it could be better than the original.
Flag
wait who the heck is lori
Flag
lori rom is the actress who was original suppose to play phoebe.shes in the pilot ep but quiet the show at the last minute for religion reasons.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
i think ts a good ideal.why?the original charmed was just ruined to tears.first they got rid of shannen and brong in rose.dont get me started on rose acting.

then on top of that they fired the creator of the show which was a woman and they got a man to do charmed.s1-4 is so different from s5-8.connie is what they call the creator.she had a vision for the show a layout but brad got her gone and took over her show.thats crazy when you think about it.not only that ,when brad took over he just made up his own rules for charmed.making many plotholes.like rule 1 only female can have witch powers.so for thousands of years not one male been born to the warren witch but somehow piper had sons.then they get witch powers on top of that.come on.connie if she would have stayed the show would have been different.i prefer for the creator to mess up there own show instead of someone else like brad.

i love charmed as the next fan but charmed was really ruined when prue died.season 4 only hung on by a piece of a hair because the creator was still there.after that the show went downhill fast.so i think fans are worried that if they made a new charmed.it might be better than the original.im hoping this goes through so they can make charmed better without all those plotholes brad kern made.

and can i say no one wants to see the charmed ones kids.i would prefer they did a story on melinda warren or grams/patty then the charmed ones kids.

but if this goes through,i dont know who i see playing any of the girls because i would prefer older women so the show could be darker and they fix all the problems the original had.

but i like the ideal
More+
Flag
What about casting the children where they take over instead of bringing back the sisters? Let the next generation of witches take the spotlight.
Flag
It should be an ensemble show, preferably airing on Showtime, that centers around the 9 cousins who use "the power of three" as a power source that can be used by any 3 of them, then it could possibly work. If not, it would be nice to see a darker, more mature Charmed that fixes the problems the original had. But at the same time...new actresses? Same characters? I don't know about that one.
Flag
Charmed is my favourite show ever and I watch reruns almost every day. However, a reboot would be a bad idea because it would ruin the reputation of the show. It will never be as good as the real thing no matter how much they try to convince me (if they do reboot).
Flag
seriously, the original cast will always be the one and only Charmed ones, Shannen, Holly and Alyssa - no rebooting please with other characters
the only thing I can think of is a spin off with Wyatt and Chris (Wes Ramsey and Drew Fuller) with guest appearances by the original cast
Flag
I think that they should do a spin off with the original cast making appearances here and there but with phoebe and pipers kids that would be great i loved this show soo much i still do :) but they shouldn't cast all new actors to do the show i think it would ruin the show. it would make for a better show more realistic to the orginal.
Flag
The thought of Charmed possibly restarting made me thrilled since my older brother got me into it when i needed to sleep for school lol but twist of fate i couldn't sleep i kept watching it that was 5 years ago now I am out of school but my point is I would like it if they recast Shannnon Doherty I mean I remember hearing her and Allyssa had problems behind the set but I personally liked Shannon more then Rose I hope they recast the original power of 3 rather then 3 new actresses but what ever they do I will try and watch it and see what its like hopefully its amazing like the old series no matter what I will still watch the premiere
Flag
I loved Charmed so much, such a big fan of the series, but I'm not sure I will like another set of women as the Halliwell sisters. If they pitched this as a next generation of Halliwell family so that some of the old casts can come back as their original characters, I'd be much more excited.
Flag
I think its a great ideal I love charmed and was hoping they would come back although I was hoping it would pick up with the original cast as the next generation with the kids im going to watch and hope
Flag
MUCH better cast members (if those were chosen) and maybe the new version would actually be good. zing! for real, the other one had bad acting, dialog, directing, etc. but a cool plot. I support this idea. maybe Kaley Cuoco and the others could make cameos.
Flag
If they can't get Holly back, then I couldn't be less interested. She was the only reason I kept watching Charmed until the end! I think they're more likely to usher Alyssa Milano in for a reboot in some role or another though...
Flag
Loved Charmed. I'm not going to waste my time on this garbage.
Flag
I would prefer a spin off apart from
Beauty and the beast I dont see the point of revamping good old shows. Leave the haliwell sisters in peace and choose a new set of sisters
Flag
Hmmmmm that would just be SO BAD if they rebooted an awesome show...Maybe a spin-off? With another set of charmed ones but 3 sibilings in New England? 2 Females and a male?
Flag

I'm a big fan of Charmed and would love to see this show air but not as a remake of the show. Charmed may have a still have a big fan base but I do not think that a remake would and it might attract a different fan base but I think that the original fan base will stick with the original series. Know if they were to revive the show about the charmed one's kids that would be great and I would love to watch that. I think Charmed: The Next Generation would be a great title for that show. They can never replace the Charmed Ones. Shannen Doherty will always be Prue, Holly Marie Combs will always be Piper and Alyssa Milano will always be Phoebe.
Flag
I was a huge Charmed fan back then, I don't know if I'm happy with this news or not.

Yes, I agree with the idea of telling the story about Phoebe's daughters (if they want the main characters to be three sisters), so that the original casts can come back sometimes.

Or... they could tell a story about another "Charmed Ones", not the Halliwell Sisters.

If they're going with this plan, I hope it would be better and dark and twisted and scarier. I'd want a scary witch show like AHS: Coven, so that the warlocks and demons scare the hell out of me. Because the one thing that I don't like from Charmed (season 4-8) was how easily defeated the demons/monsters. And don't make it like 'demon of the week' show, because it's so 90s. I'm bored with that kind of show now.

I agree with Shelley Hennig and Selena Gomez. The Charmed Ones should be pretty, lol.
Flag
The fact that almost all the demons/warlocks wore tacky leather clothing never really helped sell that they were something to be feared. Instead, it often made me laugh.
Flag
yes i agree with the demon part of it but if you think about it the show was made in the early 2000's when costumes and animations aren't as detailed as they are today so that's really the only problem with that
Flag
I would actually welcome this, considering it was well done. I always liked all these supernatural themes but never was very awed by The Charmed. If they rebooted it and made it better somehow, it could be something great. Would also welcome Tammin Sursok for any role, she's great.

I might go back and watch the original Charmed chronologically at some point (and ina fast pace - that's how the series shine the most) when I'm done with the bunch of series that are on my to-watch-list now.
Flag
cbs. man your going for broke now.
Flag
Even though I want nothing more than for Charmed to be back on the air, I fear that a reboot will ruin this show's legacy. If they did a reboot, it might not match the greatness of the original one. Instead of a reboot, how about they do a continuation of the series, kinda like the comic series? Instead of focusing on the sisters, how about they focus on Wyatt, Chris and Melinda? It could be called Charmed: The Next Generation. Hypothetically, even if Shelley Hennig is cast as Piper, she'll always be Diana Meade to me (TSC FOREVER!!!). Also, really?! Selena Gomez?! She could barely act as well as she could barely sing!
Flag
Keep Alyssa Milano in it and then have a next-generation of the "Three." I agree with the girl from Secret Circle, she was good.
Flag
Instead of a reboot, they could just do it as the charmed kids.

Phoebe had 3 girls Paige had twins and a boy and of course Pipers Boys.

Its been long enough that they could prolly just pushed it forward and then leave the option of guest appearances by the original cast.
Flag
I agree with the Charmed kids idea, what about a spin off with Wyatt and Chris (and the original actors Wes Ramsey and Drew Fuller)
Flag
Totally agree with you! It'll be interesting to flash forward a couple of years and see how the next generation is doing. Also, if this was on The CW, it would be a perfect opportunity for them to cast pretty white people as the kids i.e. TSC. Though witchy shows don't tend to do well on that network...
Flag
God NO please...!
Flag
No god no the first time around was crappy enough!
Flag
D:
Flag
This time can we try to make the main characters not vile monsters?
Flag
How were they vile monsters? I mean, of course, aside from the clenched- jaw,-stuttering -through- their- sentences way of talking they had.
Flag
I don't know why, but I think it could work. Probably better, than reboots of many other shows. But we'll see.
Flag
I love the idea of getting back to the charmed universe, BUT c'mon they will just destroy it like they do everything else
Flag
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FOR THE LOVE OF MAGIC!!!!!!!!!! This is one show no one should ever try copy... for the love of Halliwells... leave the Power of three alone...
Flag
what a waste of time that would be
Flag
Why reboot a series that was mediocre at its best? The first few seasons of the original series were rather enjoyable, but the crap that came after that was just dumb. Besides, this show ended not even a decade ago, it's just too early for a reboot. I for one rather see another new original supernatural series instead of rehashed mediocrity...
Flag
yeah i like seasons 1-3 better than 4-8 but i thought some of the episode plots were better in seasons 6-8 than they were in seasons 1 and 2. (season 3 was my favorite season except for the last episode)
Flag
No, no, no, no, no !!! Don't you dare.
Did I say NO?
Flag
too soon for a reboot, BOOOOOOO!
Flag
I loved this show first time round but not sure about the possible cast list above though!!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members